Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

25 Best Beers in America

BDH

BE,

Funny, when I was sampling the many fine beers of Australia, every single Auzzie laughed when I mentioned we had Fosters in the U.S. - they all said it was the crap beer of Australia. Now I hope you weren't talking about Fosters, Vince.  :o

Fosters is an excellent example of brand marketing. Australia has never had a "National" beer (and still doesn't) - each State has one or two prime sellers, with dozens of other local or "boutique" beers. In fact, if you go to a pub, even the serving sizes are different - it's a "schooner" in NSW, a "pot" in Victoria and "intravenous drip" in Queensland :)

However Fosters told the world "We are Australia's beer" and, due to their aggressive marketing campaign, the whole damn world believed them, and it became a self-fulfilliing prophecy. Hell, the first Aussie words most modern Americans learnt were "Throw another shrimp on the barbie", but the funny thing is that Aussies generally call them prawns, not shrimp, regardless of their size.

And, since Berkim mentioned "XXXX" ("Four X"), I should explain that it's labelled "XXXX" because Queenslanders can't spell "beer", even when they're sober (every 3rd Tuesday of every other month) :D

(And sorry for the thread drift BDH)

Prove it.  I'm thirsty.  :)

Flex, all I know is that if you show up with 'Natural Lite' again (or whatever the hell you brought to the Blast last year), you lose ALL your Beer Tasting credentials! :P In times of desparation, I have drank some pretty nasty stuff, but that was some of the worst beer I have EVER had! :(:(

Of course after choking down the 17th one, it was at least tolerable! :lol::lol::lol:

LOL...you have a good point there.

Natty Light doesn't really belong in this thread.

I do love to show up with a bunch of it though. :D:P:lol:

hmm...i tried that Duvel recently and it is good stuff! B) thx Flex.

Excelent taste and smooth with a kick after effect.

Now a days i'm experimenting with as many different beers as possible.

Right now i'm into Drake's IPA. A local northern cali brew. It has a strong taste and effect. Makes me feel like eating some fish and chips :P

hmm...i tried that Duvel recently and it is good stuff! B) thx Flex.

Excelent taste and smooth with a kick after effect.

I first tried it after being out all night in Amsterdam. I grabbed some at the train station to wash down breakfast. :blink:

Once I realized what I had, I went back for more.

Then I had to spend the rest of the trip hunting some down to take home to Ohio.

What can I say...I've worked with about half the guys on the judges' list (I, too, was an editor of ZYMURGY)...

I gotta say ANCHOR STEAM and ANCHOR PORTER are two of the finest beers on earth (STEAM is clearly best on draft, preferably with seafood, preferably at that Thai seafood placed in Half Moon Bay, preferably with my sweetie).

Leaving ALASKAN SMOKED PORTER and ALASKAN AMBER (a true alt, by the way) off the top 10 is criminal, and Paul Gatza should be whipped senseless for allowing it to happen.

Sierra Nevada Pale is okay, but it's sort of generic microbrew. Here in the People's Republic of Boulder, I gotta say OASIS EXTRA SPECIAL BITTER is a darn good beer. FAT TIRE is a heck of a summer brew. I forget the name, but I occasionally buy the FLYING DOG Scottish Ale...

mb

"Whiskey's too rough

Champagne costs too much

Vodka makes my mouth feel queer

This little refrain

Will help me explain

As a matter of fact, I like beer..."

--Tom T. Hall

Can't comment on commercial brews, as it depends on how thirsty you are when you drink it, but I have a bud in Houston, Fred Gibson, who was the #1 independent home brewer in the nation in 2000. It was the best I have had...

Funny, when I was sampling the many fine beers of Australia, every single Auzzie laughed when I mentioned we had Fosters in the U.S. - they all said it was the crap beer of Australia.

Not me. I like Fosters; I like Crown Lager and the India Pale Ale produced by the Malt Shovel Brewery even better. But my favourite is the Czech Pilsener Urquell.