Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2004 Area 7 Championship.

The 2004 Area 7 is this coming weekend. I'll be CRO of "The Big Dig", not sure what stage number it will be yet. :wacko:

Just look for the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge and the route 93 (Cooper) tunnel. ;)

Michael has been a real slave driver at the A7 construction parties. In fact, his last words to me we "get theose stairs built NOW!!!". You'll recognize his stage since it's the only one you can see from adjacent pits.

We're trying another "first" for stats. In addition to using the Palm scoring system, we are setting up a CAN (clubhouse area network) with a clone of the USPSA web server, which we will use to post results throught the match. There will be a number of systems set up at the clubhouse which can be used to check your scores which we will have updated at least 4 times per day (except Friday when the staff is shooting - those will be updated right after we are done shooting).

We've found that a real chokepoint on the frequent updating of results is the amount of paper that needs to be printed and Martin Luthered - this electronic appoach will allow us to update posted scores after each "pickup" of the Palm based scores.

If you shoot in the morning, head to the clubhouse for lunch and we should have results for you by the time you're done eating.

We still have a few openings for the A7 - you can see exactly when by visiting www.uspsa.org/squadding.

My co-workers are wondering why I've been asking everyone for their obsolete but still working monitors.

Mike,

I'm going. I'm in Squad 6 with the guys from the Rhode Island Muzzle Loaders Club. Its my first big match and I'm a little nervous but really looking foward to it.

I've heard you guys do a really great job with the stages. They look like fun from the postings online.

Where's the Red Sox inspired stage? The one you have to shoot with a Johnny Damon wig on.

Rob, the quick posting of the results is just great. Thank you.

See you Saturday,

Steve Lyons

Michael,

I'll be there Saturday morning with Phil, Mike, and BJ (among others). Last year's match was top shelf, so at the risk of biting off more than we could chew, Team Shooters Paradise decided to shoot the Area 7 on Saturday and the Summer Blast on Sunday. Whew...this is going to be a weekend to remember! :wacko: See you there.

Regards,

Todd

Mike,

I'm going. I'm in Squad 6 with the guys from the Rhode Island Muzzle Loaders Club. Its my first big match and I'm a little nervous but really looking foward to it.

Well then I've got to warn you. The Big Dig is a 32 round field course. I'll go get lunch while you're finishing it with a front stuffer... ;)

:o The Big Dig... that's the one I've been staring at one for a while trying to visualize it and thinking about how to shoot it smoothly. I'm shooting Limited 10.

I'm meeting with my mentors tonight and I'll be sure to get some good tips.

See you there,

Steve

Well the first day is in the bag. The stages look awesome and they present some real shooting challenges. The Rodney Dangerfield of IPSC himself commented favorably on the look of the stages today. :D Let’s see what he says after shooting them. :rolleyes:

I bombed out with mikes on two stages and had to re-shoot two 30+ round field courses due to prop malfunction on one stage, and human error on another. Actually the prop malf was due to the human error of not being set correctly by a roving RO. We have dedicated stage ROs for the rest of the weekend so that should not reoccur. I’ sure am glad that I brought that extra box of ammo today!

Preliminary stats are already on the web thanks to the crack stats crew of Boudrie and Dings. They even have a wireless network set up in the clubhouse so that shooters can pull up current interim stats while their lunch is cooking. Here’s hoping that things continue to run smoothly for the rest of the weekend. B)

I shot there today and it was absolutely AWESOME!!!! It was my 3rd IPSC match and 1st big match. I can't remember having this much fun before. What a great time. There wasn't really any waiting around at all and the stages were really thought out. Thanks for the great stages and great event.

Pete

Congratulations to Rob Boudrie and the entire staff and construction crew at A7. The stages and props were unbelievable. This is how Nationals should look.

There were plenty of staff to help with pasting and reset. An 8 stage match, 200+ rounds shot in a half day and the results posted before we could get our gear in the truck!

Great job guys, the best match I have seen.

I'm with Lee, congrats to Max. He's the man to catch right now. I'll be trying the rest of the year................................

Area 7 had the best Props of any Area match I've shot.

Tommy T

I've shot 27 Area matches since I started shooting in 1997, and I can honestly say that this was the best I have ever shot. Six of the eight stages were incredible. It's amazing what can happen when a bunch of dedicated shooters and RO's put this kind of work into a match.

The desk stage was one of the harder stages I remember shooting! I can honestly say that I've never seen that much work and complication put into an eight round speed shoot! My hats off to the stage designers, RO's and the Harvard Action Shooters club.

I didn't think they could outdo themselves last year, but they sure did. If you weren't there, you missed a good one.

Thanks guys. A lot of hard work went into the match and the comments and thanks from the shooters made it all worth it. I'm exhausted and my feet are sore but it was a great match. We had a toll booth at the entrance to "The Big Dig" and shooters donated $250 towards the USPSA juniors fund. Thanks guys and gals. :D

gmshtr, you are right about the desk stage. It cost me second place in limited 10 because I bombed it so badly. It was the last stage I shot on Sunday. I tried to shoot it way to fast.

The Big Dig was an awesome stage. I am going to go back and shoot the monthly match next month and hopefully most of the props will still be up.

I was lucky enough to shoot in squad 27. My buddies and I from Maine shot along with Max Micheal, and Chris Tilley who took 1st and 3rd respectively in OPen, then we had the other US Army shooter Travis Tommasie who finished 2nd in Limited.

It was great fun watching them shoot each stage, and after each one the RO would say to either one of them or the other: " Thats the fastest I've seen this stage shot in three days!"

Thanks to all the RO's for all the hard work, and to Harvard Shooters for the smoothly run match.

Sincerely,

Paul Mitchell A-30022

Fantastic match. I hope some pictures get posted. The stages were incredible.

Great crew of RO's too. Everyone involved should be proud.

...still wondering how Phil shaved so much time off of the speed shoot. :huh:

...still wondering how Phil shaved so much time off of the speed shoot. :huh:

We shot with Phil and he had a super fast reaction to the timer. His first shot to the steel was probably right around a second. We figured that 4 seconds was probably as fast as that stage could be shot due to waiting on the last port to open.

The RO was nice enough to let me look at the timer after the run. The first shot was a .81 and the split to the next popper was .29, ie 1.10 for the 1st two shots. I think we caught it on video, so it may be up on the web site soon. That stage was all about the first two shots, and I got lucky!

Phil

First of all, I'd like to congratulate Rob Boudrie and the entire Area 7 match staff for an excellent job. That was one of the best matches with the best stages I've shot in a while. The weather was perfect, the people were so nice and I had such a great time that for a day, I forgot that I was shooting in one of the strictest states (gun law wise) in America. And I can't even begin to get over how fast they did the scoring. Talk about effecient!

And then of course congratulations to Max and new daddy Phil and all the winners.

Now this is what IPSC is all about. Nothing but glowing reports and praise being showered upon an obviously dedicated and deserving team of volunteers, who clearly worked their collective butts off to create a fantastic match. Music to my ears.

Congratulations from afar to Rob, Michael and all their colleagues for doing such a splendid job.

There was actually a cast of thousands (well, tens) which made this happen, including:

Greg Newman - Match Director

Tim Moore - Range Master

Ray Goguen - Club treasurer & SC

and Many, many more. Frank Marchilena deserves a special thanks for the mil-spec approach to the "Newton's Third" stage, as does Erich Thalheimer who was instrumental in certain aspects of the Big Dig stage.

The toughest part of any match is not any individual job, but getting a large number of people motivated to work as RO's; build stages; etc. The only reason this match went so well is because we had a LOT of people doing the work.

The RO was nice enough to let me look at the timer after the run. The first shot was a .81 and the split to the next popper was .29, ie 1.10 for the 1st two shots. I think we caught it on video, so it may be up on the web site soon. That stage was all about the first two shots, and I got lucky!

Phil

Rodney - If you could send me that video, I'll post it on the web site with the results. (Send it, or a link to it, to rob@boudrie.com)

Rob,

I think we should also thank the volunteers from the other shooting sports. I know I visited with several Cowboy shooters who were working on stages doing scoring, pasting and reset.

It would be nice if at every club the different venues could get along as well as they do at Harvard.