Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For you experienced skeet shooters I have a question.

West Texas Granny

Hello: I suck at skeet but have lots of fun shooting it. It is a timing thing. Bang---Bang. Keep the gun moving and a hard focus on the bird. As a pistol shooter I tend to stop moving the gun. That is what I have been told alot. As I get better I can actually see that I do that. When I keep the gun moving I hit the bird. I am lucky that I shoot with some very good shooters and teachers. One is even an old All American shooter but he can still hit the birds even at over 80 years old with a 28 gauge. He shoots 95-100 all the time and is a great teacher and all around nice guy. Pattern your gun and know where it hits helps. Thanks, Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Todd bender is a multiple time world champion and his videos cover all the fundamentals like body position and where to break the birds at. Be sure to get the right video because he has several about just doubbles. Your library might have these for you or be able to order them for you. The gun club I go to had the for people to borrow so you might want to check there too. Most competitive skeet shooters are nice people who are willing to help you all you want. Ask around and see who at your club shoots completely and ask them to help you but watch the video Todd knows the game as well as anyone just check his resume.

I beat Todd Bender..... If you want schooled and trained go to Wayne Mayes. JMHO

Good for you. Care to share which tournament(s this was at?

If you really "beat Todd Bender" with any consistency, then you have a very refined skillset, and should be able to offer some great advice to the OP.

I beat Todd Bender..... If you want schooled and trained go to Wayne Mayes. JMHO

I beat Todd Bender once,and had him kick my butt into oblivion numerous times.His best friend and two man team partner Wayne Mayes passed away early this summer from complications of a burn accident.

Bender,Shima,and Giambrone all have great clinics.They are all good guys and excellent teachers.The new 2013 "Bender on championship skeet" is an excellent video for the basics.His new 2013 "Todd Bender on championship doubles" and Paul Giambrone's new doubles video are both great.$180 well spent to get all three.If you listen and learn you can get to AAA with these.They show you how it's done.

Doubles from (345) is all about placing your first shot consistantly and making a good eye shift to the second target.Doubles at 1 2 6 7 have time to be a little sloppy.The hard thing about 345 doubles and the 410 bore is that it magnifies all the flaws in your fundamentals.In doubles specifically,any lunge or shoulder roll you make on the first shot puts you in really bad shape for the second shot.Doubles targets need to be attacked with no fear.The equivelant of a boxer letting his hands go.You build fundamentals in singles and trust them in doubles.

The placement of the first shot will determine where you look for,see,and shoot the second shot.If you can get good at placing your first shot you can build some consistancy in the game.

I have found that you need to get your eyes off the first target incredibly quickly after you pull the trigger on it.The big long follow through that is great in singles gets you into the turn for the second target too late.The eye shift and the turn towards the second target has to happen right now.It's a joke around here that "345 doubles ain't skeet".

Edited by us820

Wane Mayes was undoubtedly one of the best shotguners to ever live he was a multi time world champ at skeet, supposedly a 27yd line trap shooter, and very hard to beat at a live pigion shoot. I met him a few times he was a cool dude too. I don't know if he ever made any instructional videos though. If you have shot skeet for long enough you will eventually shoot your but off when someone like Todd has a bad day but I never thought for a minute that it made me a better shooter than them. Be humble or you will most likely get embarrassed

Wane Mayes was undoubtedly one of the best shotguners to ever live he was a multi time world champ at skeet, supposedly a 27yd line trap shooter, and very hard to beat at a live pigion shoot. I met him a few times he was a cool dude too. I don't know if he ever made any instructional videos though. If you have shot skeet for long enough you will eventually shoot your but off when someone like Todd has a bad day but I never thought for a minute that it made me a better shooter than them. Be humble or you will most likely get embarrassed

Absolutely.Wayne was the man.....Wayne made a VHS tape I know for sure.