Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For you experienced skeet shooters I have a question.

West Texas Granny

Always shoot the near house first. From station 1 and 2 you will want to shoot the high house bird then come back for the low. On station 6 and 7, you will want to reverse that and shoot the low house bird first on the double then come back for the high house.

I've shot a couple doubles where I've got them both with one shot...except it doesnt count. Just a cool thing to have happen.

Shoot at what is going away from you first. It will leave you more time for the other bird. Which is basically what Corey said.

Point the gun midway between where you want to break the bird and where it comes out with your eyes at the house going away from you. If your gun is closer to the house (parallel) you'll be chasing and if you're further you'll be sweeping past it and then chasing it.

At one point I just shot a few box fulls of doubles at 2 and 6 to be more comfortable with them.

Makes me want to go out and shoot a few rounds...

Key to doubles is in the timing. You want to make sure you do not wait too long on the first shot to cause problems with the second one. Just remember only 1 target is on each side of the field at any point in time as they cross at the middle. If you ride the first target way to long you are rushing for the second one. I have also seen people try and rush the first shot to try and get to the second one quicker. You really have plenty of time to take both shots. Just shoot the first one, shift the eyes for the second. The more you shoot them the more you figure out where the 2nd one should be based on where the first one broke. The real fun is the doubles on 3-4-5. When I shot alot of skeet I would bet 90+ of my practice was on doubles and ALOT of that was on those 3 stations

Dont rush the first shot, but dont drag your feet either. When I rushed the first shot and missed I often missed the second.

What helped me the most was starting with the gun low so I could see more. I would also coil up a bit so when I got to the harder shot I was more relaxed instead of twisted up.

I used to shoot a lot of International Skeet which involves more doubles and requires a low gun start.

smooth fluid motion helps big time. Are you shooting with your arms moving the gun or shooting with your lower body. On double you always want to be in front of the second bird so dont ride the first too far where you are even or even behind the second bird. Your then likely to jerk the gun more and cause a miss. It is really hard to set the holdpoints/break points without actually seeing the person shoot as there can be alot of variables in what a person can do. There was a instructor not going to mention the name who could shoot but was not a very good good instructor because everyone was taught to shoot the exact same way he would. A good instructor can get you online pretty quickly and will help you get a style that works for you. I gave some lessons in the past and worked with what the shooter had to work with not how I shot as I had a couple odd ways I would shoot different targets especially low 8. Where most would say upper left hand side of window and ride it out my way was shove the gun directly in the hole and move up and hit it straight on very quickly. My reasoning was I would have max pattern spread and the quicker it got hit the less the wind could move it around. On doubles, especially in the middle 3 4 5 I would take the first shot then loop the gun down for the second shot instead of the more common up. It equaled a touch more gun movement but by lowering the gun some I had a better visual of the target especially if it was getting pressed down by the wind.

Always "focus" on the first target of the doubles. "Focus" means shoot it like a single target.

Easy to say, but in the beginning your "mind" will fool you into thinking about the second target while you shoot the first.

Which means you will "jump" the first target, probably stop, miss it and rush to find the second target.

That's the Evil mind. :o

In reality, you can swing smoothly much "quicker" than the speed of the target. Which means you don't have to rush the first target, or most any target. If you take too much time, it makes breaking the targets more difficult. For example, Swinging the gun for 2 seconds, without firing is a very, very long time.

If you are on station 2, I would practice many High house single targets and your 'goal' is to break them by center stake.

After you do that, shoot some doubles. You will have plenty of time to swing back and break the low. The practice part is hitting the high with the same movement and timing as a single, when you 'know' there is another target.

Once you don't think about it...it's as "easy as pie"....really. That's the good mind. ;)

Have fun.

Ya but you only have to hit the second one lol. That said I have seen several people miss that second one trying to throw the first one so they can concentrate on just the second one. If your breaking the first target at the center stake your breaking it too late. 2/3 out form the house is more in the ballpark. If its broke at the center stake, the second bird is alaredy there and by the time you turn the gun and get back on it your playing catch up. Todd bender video with the eye cam shows you what you should be seeing on the doubles. Money well spent if there are not any good local instruction

Go to youtube and search "how to shoot skeet: station X" where X = the station you are interested in. Skeet is a great game, enjoy.

As a newb myself there are some great, helpful videos out there. Look for Chris Batha on YouTube. He has a separate video for each station. He's also a lefty which I found helpful since I shoot left handed due to an eye dominance issue.

• 1 month later...

Learn where to look for the second bird. Learn your break points and hold points, then its just repitition. Doubles on 3-4-5, ya'll shooting international skeet?

No just american skeet "shoot off doubles' which alot of time is where the event really begins

You should only be dealing with 1/2 off the field at a time, that half being dictated by which bird you are required to shoot first. Nothing more, nothing less. If you are breaking the first bird at or past the center stake you are to late, if the field is set up "correctly" they will both reach the stake at the same time. Being late reqires you to be in the catch up mode.

I would guess my hold point to be 10-12' out from the house but my look point is 5-7' out, any closer and I will see the flash of the bird but lose it and have to re-acquire it. At 5-7 I will see it and get the gun moving while it is in my vision with no target loss. FOCUS,FOCUS, and FOCUS some more on the bird, you should be able to see the rings. If you can clearly see your front sight you are wrong, if you can clearly see your barrel you are wrong. These should only be be seen out of focus.

I could keep typing but just do what the rest have told you, Benders video explains it so clearly even if you can't shoot you should grasp the theory.

Good Luck

WWFM:

For station 2, as an example:

Foot position. Start with your feet set so that when you have the gun shouldered for a natural feeling, non-moving shot, it is on an angle which is midway between the center stake and the point on the low house path that comes closest to station 2. Don't move your feet for the rest of the turn at the station (yeah, I know. some people dance the whole time and have a different foot position for every shot and every brand of shotgun shell. I don't).

Gun position (Assuming American skeet). Start with the muzzle of the gun pointing at a point on the bird's path which is 1/3 of the distance between the house and the center stake. The muzzle should be low enough that the bird does not go under the barrel, so you don't have to lose and reacquire the bird during the swing.

Eye position. Look just over the barrel, about 1/2 the distance between the muzzle and the window.

Shoot the doubles as two singles.

For singles at station 2, you want to take the high house over the center stake, but take the low house as it comes to a point which is closest to the shooter's station, even though it means you'll 'ride' the bird for a short time.

Then when you shoot doubles, you take the birds in the same general places.

The rest of the doubles are shot on the same principles.

Follow through. Imagine a paintbrush on the end of your gun. Paint the path of the bird all the way to the distance stakes, even after you pull the trigger. Don't stop your swing until you either a) see the bird break, or B) 'touch' the other house with the muzzle.

Most misses are behind the bird. Don't stop the swing, and don't imagine you're too far ahead. Sometimes 'chip' shots are the best way of seeing where you're shooting, when you shoot chips off the bird and see which part of the bird they came off of.

2nd most misses are over the bird. Keep your head solid on the stock.

Good luck.

• 4 months later...

..., ya'll shooting international skeet?

yes,

but some good advie. first target is the ONLY important target until it's broken. follow through extra, find target #2 with your eyes and then your gun will follow.

Do NOT worry about timing or break point of the second target while you are learning. bad habits will ensue.

The first shot timing is important in doubles. If your breaking it all over the place your looking for it alot more. If you break it in the same spot, its easier to know where the 2nd targe is. If its windy, watch a bunch of targets and see how the target if flying when the wind is moving it. In the wind, fast and flat is your friend

• 1 year later...

Its not predicting the location and spot shooting as much as having an idea what to expect in the wind etc. Foot position and breakpoints are key in doubles especially on 4. When I shot 4 doubles, with the high first my foot position was right across the front of the pad. I had basically no swing to the right of the center stake as I didnt need it. I broke the high one about 2/3-3/4 from the house or so then picked up and and broke the second one about the same place. If the wind picked up and I NEEDED to track it farther, i had a perfect swing all the way out to the out of bounce stake. On my 4 doubles with the low first, I had my feet on the left side of the bad straight along the pad for the same reason as the high. I had a perfect break point location for the low one and on the high one I had enough swing to go all the way to the out of bounce incase of wind.

Timing is Key especially on the first shot as depending on where you break it can set you up for an easy or a hard second shot. If its broke at the center stake your playing catch up. If its broke WAYYY early then you are almost waiting for the second shot. Alot of your top guys are basically breaking both targets in the same location

Edited by EkuJustice