Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Magazines

I was getting tired of spending so much time cleaning out the dust and sand from my single stack magazines. Today, I was in the kitchen and decided to take them apart and put the tubes and springs into the dishwasher. I put them in the little silverware container and started up the dishwasher. Wow! It worked GREAT! The dishwasher got out all the crud and the mags are squeaky clean. My mags are stainless steel, so I don't know how this would work on something other than that.

Guest Larry Cazes

This may be convenient, but I would be concerned about the lead contamination in your dishwasher if this becomes a habit. :(

I wouldn't worry about lead. The problem lead sources are salts which will be at least somewhat soluble in the hot water in the dish washer and will be discharged with the waste water. You may have some issues downstream where the sewer discharges if you do it about three million times, though. ;)

Rhino I hate to tell you but you need to read the MSDS on lead, lead fulmate, and all the other combustion nasties in loaded-fired rounds, those "salts" will re-depost themselves on any and all items in the dishwasher.

By the way most "high quality" stainless steel will still corrode when dishwasher clean.

Your case polisher will work great.

Rhino I hate to tell you but you need to read the MSDS on lead, lead fulmate, and all the other combustion nasties in loaded-fired rounds, those "salts" will re-depost themselves on any and all items in the dishwasher.

By the way most "high quality" stainless steel will still corrode when dishwasher clean.

blkbrd,

I agree with you on the salts issue, I'll never wash something lead-contaminated in the dishwasher.

I only have a question on the SS rusting: I guess you were joking (hence the quotation marks on high quality), otherwise I don't understand how dishwasher daily washed cutlery doesn't rust in a few days. :huh:

I only have a question on the SS rusting: I guess you were joking (hence the quotation marks on high quality), otherwise I don't understand how dishwasher daily washed cutlery doesn't rust in a few days. :huh:

Most kitchen cutlery is made of 300-series type stainless steels. They are very corrosion resistant, but you can't really harden them. Try sharpening your butter knife some time!

The alloys used for gun stuff are all less corrosion resistant.

As far as the lead salts go ... you guys are probably right according to the MSDS warnings, but I remain unconvinced given the working conditions of a dishwasher that you'd have any significant redeposition.

Of course, it's a moot point for me since I don't see a need for putting gun parts in the dishwasher since I don't own a Glock. ;)

Of course, it's a moot point for me since I don't see a need for putting gun parts in the dishwasher since I don't own a Glock.  ;)

Good for you, since it could get melted by hot water! :D

BTW, is a glock a green-product?

Is it biodegradable? If so, it might appeal to some gun-unfriendly environmentalists... ;)

MSDS, I come here to get away from work, not see more crap that I deal with at work. ;) TXAG

Sorry about that, I was at work when I typed that. ;)

MSDS was about 8 feet away.

I think if I ever get invited to eat at BamBam's I'll skip the plates and have my food served off 140mm mag shishkabobs. Silverware? "Ah, no thanks, I brought my Leatherman." :P

I think if I ever get invited to eat at BamBam's I'll skip the plates and have my food served off 140mm mag shishkabobs. Silverware? "Ah, no thanks, I brought my Leatherman." :P

Come on over any time! After dinner we'll grind some corn cob and sit around the lead smelter and tell stories. :D

I only have a question on the SS rusting: I guess you were joking (hence the quotation marks on high quality), otherwise I don't understand how dishwasher daily washed cutlery doesn't rust in a few days.  :huh:

Of course, it's a moot point for me since I don't see a need for putting gun parts in the dishwasher since I don't own a Glock. ;)

Why are there all these threads on cleaning magazines? Glock mags don't require cleaning.....

......like ever. :ph34r::ph34r::lol::lol:

Why are there all these threads on cleaning magazines?  Glock mags don't require cleaning.....

......like ever.  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :lol:  :lol:

I hope lots of Glock shooters listen to you, as the only time I get to kid them about their tupperware jamming is when the mags are full of sand and goop.

Been there Done that ---- not! Seriously, my mags get cleaned once every two years when I replace my springs. Now it's possible that the MUD er, Buckeye Blast could change my mind.....

but if that doesn't do it, I'll be true non-believer.....

Hmmm, MSDS, lead salts, precipitate deposition.....let's look at some numbers.

Let us assume that we stuff the silverware tray full of cruddy magazines. (I've got enough to just that.)

We run them through the regular cycle, and leave the rack coated with a light (how about super-light) deposition of lead-contaminated salts.

We then, just to be prudent, run the machine again to clean the racks. We now have a dishwasher with racks and internal surfaces coated with a washed solution of lead salts. At what, one part per billion?

We then run our dishes through the dishwasher, and coat them from the racks and walls with lead salts at the horrific concentration of one part per trillion.

We then eat off the plates (and use the silverware) and consume lead at the concentration of one par per ten trillion. Or less.

And each wash cycle after the magazines lowers the concentration. And using fewer than 157 magazines also would lower the concentration.

If the numbers are even close, one part in ten trillion is miniscule compared to the dose of lead you get when you're within a block of an old V-8 Hemi running leaded gasoline. Miniscule compare to a safe and prudent day at the range. Miniscule compared to any measurement except that of a safetynazi.

I'm not worried. (Although I can't legally or medically advise you to even come within ten feet of any lead-bearing product. :ph34r: )

BamBams,

This weekend at Area 4 I had an awfull mess with mud in my magazines. I just took them to the nearest water puddle and washed them out!!!! Poof, clean magazines. Of course they got a good cleaning once we got home.

dj

• 7 months later...
I was getting tired of spending so much time cleaning out the dust and sand from my single stack magazines. Today, I was in the kitchen and decided to take them apart and put the tubes and springs into the dishwasher. I put them in the little silverware container and started up the dishwasher. Wow! It worked GREAT! The dishwasher got out all the crud and the mags are squeaky clean. My mags are stainless steel, so I don't know how this would work on something other than that.

1) Put your magazine(s) in a ziploc baggie

2) Add some mineral spirits

3) Shake vigorously for 30 seconds

4) Drain

5) Repeat

6) Air dry for 30 minutes or oven dry at 150 for 5 minutes

7) Apply light coat of oil (or not, your choice)

Of course, if you have plastic followers, you need to make sure the MS won't attack the plastic. But the contact is swift, and the chemicals tame.

Makes a good gun cleaner, too. Kerosene works well, also.