Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, if Boxer primed cases are better than Berdan,

GrumpyOne

I got to thinking on the long drive home from work today, if Boxer primed cases are the bomb, why is Berdan still used/made? What are the advantages to having a Berdan primed case as far as ignition, reliability, etc. I think we all know what the disadvantages are in reloading...

Opinions?

Berdan brass is still made as part of the Presidents economic stimulus package. A liberal sprinkling of berdan brass at key ranges accross the country keep the plants that manufacture decapping pins running around the clock.

Ahhh. I see a darker explanation.

Ranges are seeded with Berdan brass and the manufacture of decapping pins falls under "those who know better than us" regulation. ie banned. It's a conspiracy! ph34r.gif

Pretty sure the article I mentioned said some countries still feel it is more reliable for military use. And it is cheaper to produce initially.

The primers yes, are cheaper to produce...But the brass? And, what does the number one military in the world use? Boxer or Berdan? I would think (although there is no proof in the theory that our miltary would use something inferior and more expensive! :rolleyes: ), that ours would use the best available.

Various places on the Internet claim that one purpose of Berdan primers is to discourage reloading, but it's hard to know if that's actually true or just a supposition that got picked up and repeated. I understand that's happened on the Internet once or twice. ;-)

Google "berdan discourage reloading" to see what i mean.

Pretty sure the article I mentioned said some countries still feel it is more reliable for military use. And it is cheaper to produce initially.

The primers yes, are cheaper to produce...But the brass?

The stamping and forming die costs are essentially the same.

On the primer side, the tooling to stamp and handle the anvils would add considerably to the cost with no real benefit.

The only negative I can see from the manufacturing standpoint in making berdan primed cases, is a slightly higher scrap cost when loading the primers into the cases. That's quickly offset by the likely lower scrap costs on the primer line.

(As in the cost of the materials and time at the point the item fails QC.)

• 2 weeks later...

If I were to guess, and it's totally a guess with quite a bit of imagination thrown in, I would suspect that Colonel Hiram Berdan thought that the anvil in the Boxer primer effectively covers the flash hole in the primer pocket. A more effective, and therefore more reliable, way of igniting the powder would be to have holes that straddled the anvil "legs" or "struts" so that when ignited the flash could travel unobstructed from the primer pocket through the flash holes to the powder charge. If you imagine the "flow" of the flash in a boxer primed cartridge it starts from the tip of the anvil, propagates around inside the primer cap after rebounding from the anvil and eventually travels around the anvil legs and through the flash hole.

Another way of looking at it would be to say how hard would the firing pin have to hit the primer to drive the anvil back and obstruct the flash hole to the extent that you have a failure to fire? I could see that with an overly powerful, and long, firing pin the anvil would be pushed back into the flash hole and the expanding gas of the primer charge would seat the anvil so tight that no propagation from the primer to the main charge could occur.

This scenario could never happen with a Berdan primed case.

But as I mentioned at the beginning this is only speculation on my part.

Craig

• 1 month later...

Because it's hard to load a Berdan primer in backwards and not catch it like a Boxer primer.

(If trying to load a Berdan primer backwards it will more than likely go off.) From this I suppose the reliability in the production ammo goes up for places that cannot visually look at all the primers to see if they are installed properly. If you hear a bang then you have a problem.

Just another opinion anyways.

I can think of a story from a long time ago at great grandmothers house. A young(er) was fixing the ham up for the oven and cut 2" off the base and put it in the pan with the rest. When asked "why did you do that" by a kid, she said "I'm not sure, that's the way I always have seen it done." To make a long story short by the time they got around to asking GGM "why" she said she never had a pan large enough to hold a whole ham.

My first guess is cost. The same reason you have 4 bolt wheels vs 5 lug, save a $1 a millon times and you have an extra millon at the end. If you already have millons invested in machines that make berdan brass and primers, it starts to make a lot more sense.

Also a lot of berdan "brass" is steel or aluminum cases that they don't want you to reload for safety.

Edited by jmorris

• 2 weeks later...

I was told(cant verify) that corrosive berdan primers are more reliable in very cold wheather conditions. Maybee that is it not for sure.

The compounds used in corrosive primers are what aid in cold weather ignition. It has nothing to do with the anvil being a seperate component or part of the shell case.

Bottom line is cost. Berdan is cheaper to manufacture. With modern manufacturing it may not be as big of a differance as it once was. But retooling is very expensive, so some may continue the practice for practicality sake.