Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com Rockcastle Pro Am Aug 24-26 2012

3.3 Range Officers may assess additional "unsportsmanlike conduct" procedural penalties to competitors that intentionally fail to make a good faith effort to engage and hit targets on order to gain advantage. The Range Master and Match Director shall be the final arbiters of any such penalties.

This is like just pull the trigger at a long shot and not really try to hit it. Never seen it called. Usually this will be explained in the written stage briefing or by one of the RO's. Don't worry about it. Just shoot every target you see as fast as you can and life will be good.

It's because of last year's long range stage. :D

I don't think you need a rule like that (plus it is kind of arbitrary) - all you have to do is make the time penalty severe enough to make it worth hitting long range targets. If a 300 yard miss is +5, that target might not get hit a whole bunch compared to one that is +30.

Yeah and considering that it is 100sec max and if it is windy then you know hit it once take the penalty of +5sec if you miss it so that you can hit other targets and don't timeout. So i will be called with "unsportsmanlike conduct" if i do that?

Gee. I guess maybe it would be better if we had a non subjective rule on that but no one likes a "100 page rule book".

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.3 Range Officers may assess additional "unsportsmanlike conduct" procedural penalties to competitors that intentionally fail to make a good faith effort to engage and hit targets on order to gain advantage. The Range Master and Match Director shall be the final arbiters of any such penalties.

This is like just pull the trigger at a long shot and not really try to hit it. Never seen it called. Usually this will be explained in the written stage briefing or by one of the RO's. Don't worry about it. Just shoot every target you see as fast as you can and life will be good.

I don't think you need a rule like that (plus it is kind of arbitrary) - all you have to do is make the time penalty severe enough to make it worth hitting long range targets. If a 300 yard miss is +5, that target might not get hit a whole bunch compared to one that is +30.

Yeah and considering that it is 100sec max and if it is windy then you know hit it once take the penalty of +5sec if you miss it so that you can hit other targets and don't timeout. So i will be called with "unsportsmanlike conduct" if i do that?

Gee. I guess maybe it would be better if we had a non subjective rule on that but no one likes a "100 page rule book".

just keep thinking about a free Breakfast :) that had me rolling!

Edited by RWF

I've never seen a penalty assessed for taking an aimed shot at a target,missing and moving on. It just needs to be aimed.

I would like to see some slug targets added for at least one of the AM stages. Last year we didn't get to shoot any slugs. :(

becareful of what you ask Gary for, he is the nicest, but twisted RM you will ever meet! i am talking about stage design, :rolleyes:

I would like to see some slug targets added for at least one of the AM stages. Last year we didn't get to shoot any slugs. :(

Agreed, Bob, we should see at least a couple slug shots.

Are you shooting AM again this year?

Yes, I am shooting AM again this year. Actually our whole squad from last year is shooting AM again -1 guy that is on the waiting list. I really like the sort of layed back down and dirty stages the AMs had last year. Our squad got along great and I can't wait to shoot with them again.

:cheers:

Yes, I am shooting AM again this year. Actually our whole squad from last year is shooting AM again -1 guy that is on the waiting list. I really like the sort of layed back down and dirty stages the AMs had last year. Our squad got along great and I can't wait to shoot with them again.

Not eveeryone! Greg and I are in on the pro side.

Edited by MBdocholiday

"Slug shots"....sounds like some kind of a drink to be enjoyed after a day of shooting.

I'm in ...are you Mike? All your harassment from last year made me go Pro this year...so you better be shooting this year. Grapevine said you weren't going to shoot this year.

"Slug shots"....sounds like some kind of a drink to be enjoyed after a day of shooting.

I'm in ...are you Mike? All your harassment from last year made me go Pro this year...so you better be shooting this year. Grapevine said you weren't going to shoot this year.

Received confirmation this evening, I plan to shoot tac scope. It ought to be a fun match again, I got to shoot one of Gary's KY multi-gun matches a few years back and it was great. I'm looking forward to it. Lots of work to do until then.

Doc~ You got me confused with somebody else?

Maybe. It wouldn't be the first time. :)

I hope there is some slug targets. If not I wasted 150 bucks on slugs to pactice with

I hope there is some slug targets. If not I wasted 150 bucks on slugs to pactice with

Well let's have some buck shot too.

Well let's have some buck shot too.

I'd rather shoot buckshot than slugs anyway. Although I have a lot more slugs on hand....

Craig

I would be fine with no slugs. I liked the way Jeff said it anything you would shoot a slug at you can shoot a rifle at.

I like the converse, anything you can shoot a rifle at, you can shoot a slug at. It a game, a competition , using slugs is artful part of shotgun game. Difficult to master. Lots of people complain about flying clays "theres' a sport for that" . I love flying clays, important part of 3 Gun. I love slugs.

Actually I like it all. Slugs are best if your using the LaRue steel targets or a stationary piece of steel due to the instant feedback. But I like buckshot better especially since most US matches do not use it and of course it is a lot easier to put up a piece of paper for the reset than it is to pick up steel targets used for birdshot.

WOO, HOO got my e-mail from Linda!

as a side note, i hate slugs!!! god aweful with shotgun to start with and i use the cost of slugs as excuse to myself not to pratice with them enough.