Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OPINIONS ON NIGHTFORCE

Trey A

I am looking to buy a NIGHTFORCE, most likely a 5.5x22-56 NXS with zero stop and a mil-dot reticle with mil turrets. Here is my setup, I have a ARMALITE SUPER SASS AR10 in .308 that I want to put the scope on. I am wanting to learn how to range targets and shoot accurately 6-800 yards. I am new to the game and I am looking for some good advice on any scope or any help with your opinions.

Just out of curiosity...

Why sooo much magnification with a Mil-Dot?

USMC and SEAL sniper schools found 10x to be the most suitable magnification for shots with a Mil-Dot reticule across the effective range of the 7.62x51.

If you are magnifying to 22x to obtain maximum clarity on long distance targets, wouldn't the NF CH-1 or CH-3 reticule be a better choice?

I have two NF 2.5-10x24 NXS Mil-Dot scopes and one NF 2.5-10x32 NXS Mil-Dot: Field Tactical; all offer excellent ranging and magnification out to 1000 meters. No problem shooting sub-MOA as long as I do my part.

The USMC let a firm fixed price contract for modified Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 Police Marksman LP II this past summer. S&B does not offer a PM scope in a max variable power to 10x. Note, the Corps is going to use this scope on both the 7.62x51 and 50BMG weapon systems.

Here's a good article by Kent W. Gooch, CWO2, USMC (ret) on Mild-Dot reticules.

Edited by Roadrider18

I know NF makes great scopes but is this a FFP scope? If not, it gets much more complicated to range with it accurately. It can be done but it takes a LOT of practice & time. If it is FFP, ranging is just a simple math problem.

MLM

OK. Several comments. That's a great scope but I don't think that it's right for that gun for that kind of shooting.

For the distance you state, you don't need that much magnification for that rifle. In fact, you will find that having too much magnification is a significant detriment. Plus, the eye relief is going to be an issue and the height over barrel is going to be an even bigger issue.

Why do you want a mil-dot? Do you want to use it to estimate range for corrections and hold-over?

You might want to have a look at

to help you define your requirements. The scope you cite is covered. Edited by Graham Smith

Ok first off Seals and USMC Snipers use scopes with more magnification than 10x, but in reality 10x is all you need to drop somebody out to 1300, but since none of us will be doing that I say 5.5-22x56 is GTG, the 56mm bell lets more light in than my 50mm, but IMHO the NF mildot sucks, get a MLR, the half mil hashes rock.

If you want to stick with the mil system, I'd go with the MLR reticle and my preference is for the 50mm objectives. It allows more mounting options by giving more room at the front of the scope. The 5.5-22 is more than enough scope for the distances you've stated, and the 3.5-15x might be a better fit for that weapon. :cheers:

I am looking to buy a NIGHTFORCE, most likely a 5.5x22-56 NXS with zero stop and a mil-dot reticle with mil turrets. Here is my setup, I have a ARMALITE SUPER SASS AR10 in .308 that I want to put the scope on. I am wanting to learn how to range targets and shoot accurately 6-800 yards. I am new to the game and I am looking for some good advice on any scope or any help with your opinions.

I had a scope similar to what you want it just had MOA turrets and a mil dot reticle. Great scope for clarity. I had it back before what I knew what a first focal place scope could do for you. I also have a Nightforce 2.5-10x with the low velocity reticle. I now wish that were a first focal plane as well. I just picked up a vortex PST 4-16x50 and its no Nightforce for clarity but I do like the reticle and the fact its a first focal plane. I just sighted it in yeasterday and got my drop chart printed out in mils and the guys here were right its very easy.

pat

56mm tube mounts higher than others.....might become a factor when shooting long range.

Had a friend with that setup on a Chandler rifle in .308.....he liked it a lot and could ID small targets without having to roll over to the spotting scope when we shot team events together.

JK

I have a couple of Nightforce scopes, and love them. I am an MOA guy, so I cannot comment on the Mildot. I do however prefer more magnification over less(depending on situation). I have a USO 3.8-22 on my AR-10(built very similar to SASS), and I love the 22 power, but I am shooting out to 1300 yds.

The scope you are looking at is not a FFP scope. You might take a look at the Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1 scope which is FFP.

As most said, 10X is enough power out to the 6-800yds you are planning on shooting so find some more distance and stretch your guns legs. The nice thing about any of the high end optics, is that you can get most of what you paid back out of it if you do not like it, or mount it on a different rifle for longer range shooting.

Randy

I have a 5.5-22x56 Nightforce and its a great scope.Good glass and great turrets. It will cover your needs from 100-1700+ yards. While you can shoot 800 yards with 10x you will find that often to a point more magnification is better. I know 10x was good enough for the Marines but I happen to know several Marine Snipers who all use Schmidt & Bender Scopes that have a much higher than 10x magnification. While you can do it with 10x you'll be much happier with more power.

Also, the reason people tell you FFP scopes are easier to range with is because the reticle can be used to range on any power. However, on FFP scopes the reticle grows as you turn the power up. It looks massive on high power and is usually hard if not impossible to see on the lower powers. If you've never looked through a FFP I highly recommend doing so before you buy one. You can still range with a 2nd FP reticle you just have to make sure that you range with it on a factory preset power.

I also agree with an earlier comment regarding getting a reticle with mil hash marks instead of dots if you're set on using mils.

I am not set on anything, like I said I am very new to this and appreciate all the help.. first thing is I ask myself why not more magnification? I can turn it down right? And I like being up close and personal with the target so I can see exactly where I hit. I think I do want ffp, I took a brief lesson with a army sniper who highly recommended that I get a ffp to learn how to range with. Second I do not know the big differences between mil dot and mlr other than how it looks? Third I want to be able to learn to range targets at long distances with out any aid other than my scope. Keep the info coming, its very helpful!! Thanks

first thing is I ask myself why not more magnification? I can turn it down right? And I like being up close and personal with the target so I can see exactly where I hit.

One of the reasons that lots of magnification can get in the way is that at distance it can prevent you from seeing your misses. If you are zoomed in too far you won't be able to see your splash which is critical in matches especially if you are engaging multiple targets at varying distances. If you also need to find secondary targets on a hillside then you will most likely have to zoom back out to find them and then fiddle with the focus which takes time. Leaving it at an intermediate setting like 10x gives you the best compromise out past 400 yards. Mirage on a hot day also will kill you with high magnification especially if you have a hot barrel. Since you are talking about ranging targets, then it will be really important to see that miss so you can adjust for that follow up shot.

My NF is a 5-22 but the only time I'm anywhere above 14 is if I'm shooting groups at 100 or 200 or out past 700 with no wind. At 500 shooting 6" steel I'm generally 8-10X which gives me a field of view large enough to see the miss even if I get a little bipod hop.

You can always zoom out as you say. It may work fine for shooting paper but you may not be able to use it if you get into matches, shoot with changing conditions, or have difficulty managing recoil. I've seen lots of folks spend twice as much money on 32X scopes and never use it. As long as you know the limitations then get what you want.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dirty Rod

It isn't the scope thats going to make you a good long-gunner; I would highly recommend you check out " The Ballistic Edge" website, and get a hold of Dan Flowers, the owner of the company; that guy is the foremost SME on ballistics and overall long range precision rifle training on the planet right now, ask Matt Burkett about him if you get a chance; a lot of his students come from the military SOF community and they love his stuff. he has done work for my company in the past as a sniper SME and it made a hugh difference in our ability to assist our SOF customers with their requirements.

Edited by MQW

The USMC Combat Development Command placed a fixed firm order contract for Schmidt & Bender 3-12 x 50 PMII LP as the new T/O day scope for ALL Scout sniper weapon systems. Other scopes may be selected if approved by CDC, but, the newly selected S&B is the specified T/O scope for 0317 Marines.

CRANE is sort of all over the page with day or night optics depending on the weapon system. The MK14 MOD2 is being evaluated with a NF NXS 3.5-15X day scope. The RECON rifle used a specially designed (for use with NVDs) NF NXS 2.5-10X 24 scope.

NF are exceptionally good scopes regardless of the magnification.

Trey...

I prefer a Mil-Dot. Once you have experience, one can quickly range, adjust dope or merely use hold offs. BUT, it does take practice and an awareness of the math to get your round on target WAY down range.

For those that don't like Mil-Dot, but need ranging ability, and can handle busy busy high jingo in front of their eyeball, check out Horus Vision reticules!

Edited by Roadrider18

I never put my scope above 16 when shooting.

I tend to agree. 10x works well for me; I would easily be happy with the 12x in the S&B going on the M40A5s.

Now shooting F Class is a different story, but, that setup is not applicable to most folks here.

Edited by Roadrider18

You won't find a tougher scope than a NF. They are well known to track repeatably time and time again and can endure whatever you put them through. If you ask me, they fall a little short in contrast but there resolution is phenomenal. Folks tend to compare other optics to NF and say other glass is brighter or more colorful. That is true to an extent. But most of the time resolution is not taken into account. NF resolution on a 5.5-22x50/56 is routinely 2.3-2.6 ARC Seconds. S&B is right there as well but they have better contrast which really makes them look much better. S&B has advertised that they don't cull until 3.0

I do work for NF but I am also a fan of S&B. NF currently only has one FFP scope which is the 3.5-15x50F1. S&B's entire PMII line is FFP except for their 12-50 which is SFP. I prefer FFP scopes for my precision rifles. I look forward to our new 5-25 FFP scope in a couple of months. I have absolutely no problem making 1200 yard hits on MOA targets with our 15x F1, but sometimes I would prefer just a little more magnification. The S&B 5-25 is pretty damn sweet for that. The Germans make a great scope.

If you buy a NF, you will have a scope that is Rugged. Reliable. And Repeatable. It will hold its resale value very well and provide you with a lifetime of great service.

One thing we like to promote is that every single commercial NXS scope that leaves the factory is QC'ed and must pass a 70+ point QC inspection. There is no batch testing. During that inspection process the scopes are impacted on a steel pillar for a total of 15 times. The process goes like this:

Scope is set to Zero on the collimator. It is removed and impacted on the bottom side of the objective. These things are struck hard. It is then put back on the collimator to check for any shift from zero, change in parallax, structural breakdown, etc. It is removed and struck 180 degrees on the opposite side and checks repeated on the collimator. It is then struck on the two perpendicular sides of the objective and finally face down. Every 3 strikes on the pillar it returns to the collimator. Every single scope that NF produces must pass that as part of the 70+ point QC inspection. The scope then receives a label signed and dated by the technician that built and inspected the scope.

There have been many of our competitors' scopes that do not get impacted the second time because we have had to sweep up parts. Its a brutal impact test.

Feel free to stop by our booth at SHOT or NRA and see how we impact the scopes. Last year at NRA, every time we impacted a scope, it sounded like gunfire from the other end of the exhibit hall.

The MIL-SPEC scopes that we build all get hit harder and a total of 30 times. The MIL-SPEC scopes mentioned above are a contract over run that we decided to sell commercially. Due to the semi permanent construction process of the MIL-SPEC scopes, we are unable to change the reticles without severe damage to the objective cell and internals, otherwise we would have replaced the Mil-DOT with a Horus H58 and delivered them.

So basically, you can put faith in to a NF that it will endure what you dish its way and last you a lifetime. We go through great lengths to ensure that.

If you have any questions and want to hear from the horses mouth, I will do my best to answer them.