Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked Bushing

blairmckenzie1

I was cleaning up after my steel match today and I noticed a hairline crack down the middle of my barrel bushing, at 6 o'clock about an 1/8th of an inch long. The pistol is a new Para 16-40 Limited with about 500 rounds through it.

A couple of questions:

1. How big of a problem is this? Should i just let it ride?

2. If I need a new one does it need to be fitted or can I just drop in a new part?

If it were me I'd change it. I don't believe, but I might be wrong, that the factory bushings are that fitted. You might check with a gunsmith and see and maybe have one fitted or not. Might see if someone has an extra laying around and see if it works accuracy and especially function wise.

FWIW

Richard

Get some calipers and measure the o.d. of the barrel where the bushing locks up,then measure the I.D. of your slide where the bushing goes. Record these measurements and go to brownells.com and find a bushing with the same specs you need. Brownell lists all the measurements of the bushings they sell in the notes. You should be able to find a bushing with very little tolerances to fit in your gun with little or no fitting.

Definitely get it replaced. From my understanding (and some experience) two important areas that enhance accuracy are the barrel/bushing fit and where the barrel lugs lock into the recessed areas of the slide. These 2 areas fitted well will enhance accuracy.

Someone can chime in if i'm mistaken on this....

• 2 weeks later...

as what I understand that all Para coming out this year (2012)will be equipped with EGW one piece extractor with EGW match grade bushing...some OEM parts now are outsource to companies who are well known for their products....and MEC-GAR's magazines too....

Good to hear Para is putting quality parts in their guns. Love mine , but I think the last stock parts left in it are the extractor, the barrel and the grip safety. Everything else has been replaced with EGW, Wilson Combat and a lot of Dawson Precison parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Good to hear Para is putting quality parts in their guns. Love mine , but I think the last stock parts left in it are the extractor, the barrel and the grip safety. Everything else has been replaced with EGW, Wilson Combat and a lot of Dawson Precison parts.

nice gun...what's your magwell? how heavy is the gun plus one empty magazine?...

Not really sure on the weight. Para claims 40ish ounces, plus a tungsten guide rod and a magwell and a magazine... maybe 55 ounces?? The magwell is a Dawson Precision Ice Magwell

nice gun...what's your magwell? how heavy is the gun plus one empty magazine?...