Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 ejection issues

glknineteen

I just bought a used 35, and finally got to shoot it yesterday. It was awesome, save for one thing...erratic ejection. It was doing everything from 5-15 ft to my right, straight forward, straight back. I think a few hit me in the forehead. I know this is a gen 4 issue, but mine's a gen 3. What are all of the possible causes, so I can fix em. Thanks everybody.

Some of the more recent Glocks have MIM ejectors instead of whatever type they used to use... whether MIM or not, if they work, they work, thing is the newer MIM ones don't seem to be machined or fit exactly quite the same way as the older ones as with all of my trouble-free Glocks the ejectors will fall right out of the slide and into your hand just by tapping on the slide after you've removed the spring-loaded bearing thingy and striker block/plunger and spring, many of the newer ones don't do this until after they've seen some real use. My newer Glocks with the MIM extractors work fine now after some weird early extraction behavior, as after they've seen some rounds their extractors have loosened up and will now do this (fall out) as well. If yours doesn't, you could take it out and give the top and bottom of the extractor a few passes over some 600 grit and/or stone until yours falls freely as described... might fix you right up, might not, it can't hurt and IMO is probably worth a try... Good luck.

Shot my Glock 35 at Police Range on qualification day.Using Federal 180gr Hollow Points FMJ, At the 7 yard line the extractor blew out of the gun taking the extractor depressor out also. I originally thought it was a squib load until I saw the slide locked open. Fortunately the shooter next to me was not injured. The pistol has been sent back to Glock. I have researched this and found I am certainly not the first to experience this. The brass left in the barrel was blown out at the base. This makes me believe it fired out of battery.

Some of the more recent Glocks have MIM ejectors instead of whatever type they used to use... whether MIM or not, if they work, they work, thing is the newer MIM ones don't seem to be machined or fit exactly quite the same way as the older ones as with all of my trouble-free Glocks the ejectors will fall right out of the slide and into your hand just by tapping on the slide after you've removed the spring-loaded bearing thingy and striker block/plunger and spring, many of the newer ones don't do this until after they've seen some real use.

ck1 - I think you mean extractors, not ejectors.

Edited by rijndael

I'm not picking on you, ok? The first thing I think when I hear erratic ejection is operator inconsistent grip. If you are not new to Glocks or to shooting, this may not be the problem but it is normally the first thing I think when I hear that. Have someone that shoots a glock a lot shoot it & see what happens.

Second thing is inconsistent ammo. What ammo were you shooting? Some ammo just does different things from round to round.

Just some ideas, if you are new, we were all new once. If you are not new, sorry, no insult intended.

MLM

Edited to add: I just realized you said the gun is used. Ok, it is very possible someone has been doing "'smith" work on it & not knowing what they are doing. If you can get it next to another stock 35, you can check to be sure the ejector is correct for the .40. Glocks have different ejectors for the .40 from the 9mm & sometimes folks try to interchange them. Sometimes that works but sometimes, not so well. If you buy a new ejector, & make sure your spring loaded bearing & extractor are good or even replace them as well, you should have the gun in perfect shape. Check the extractor to be sure it doesn't have knicks or rounded edges. For old guys like me, we have to use some really good glasses to look at those. YMMV . You can get all those parts new for just a few bucks.

Edited by mlmiller1

Some of the more recent Glocks have MIM ejectors instead of whatever type they used to use... whether MIM or not, if they work, they work, thing is the newer MIM ones don't seem to be machined or fit exactly quite the same way as the older ones as with all of my trouble-free Glocks the ejectors will fall right out of the slide and into your hand just by tapping on the slide after you've removed the spring-loaded bearing thingy and striker block/plunger and spring, many of the newer ones don't do this until after they've seen some real use.

ck1 - I think you mean extractors, not ejectors.

Yup.

I'm pretty sure all my Glocks do this, and, as described, on an erratic basis.

I just wear a hat...

Kevin, it was good to see you Sunday! Kevin what front site height do you use on your 34/35? for your Warren Tactical rear? I just ordered the WT rear and I am hoping my .195 will work...:) Happy Thanksgiving!!

I was shooting winchester white box, 165gr fmj. I will check on all of the things listed to see if they could be the issue. I don't think it's an issue of experience. I think it's the gun and not me, just because I've shot so many guns and this is the first time I've had this happen, save for a friends gen 4 glock 19, where the ejection is a well known issue. I've been shooting my glock 19 and my les baer premier II a lot lately, and haven't had ANY issues whatsoever. Thanks for all the info, I appreciate the heck out of it.

Have a good thanksgiving y'all.

I have a new gen 3 17 with about 35 rounds through it just to get the rear sight drifted in. Ejection is all over the place with win white box. Going to shake it down a little harder sat and see how it goes. I am close to 8K round count through my 34's and a 22. Interested in what the fix is, or if other issues come up.

WWB is the most inconsistent factory ammo with respect to ejection, IMO.

My first suggestion is to change the ammo you are shooting and try again. If you get the same results, you can try the following:

1.) Install a WSD HRED - Works to strengthen the ejection pattern in guns that are running well otherwise, in my experience. Some report better ejection patterns as well.

2.) Install a LWD extractor - different angle on the extractor and different fit in the frame may help.

3.) Change the angle and length of the ejector

4.) Install a new factory trigger housing and ejector (some tolerances will stack up differently with different trigger housings and ejectors combined).

5.) Change the timing through a new RSA and spring weight.

My experience with a Gen4 G17 is that the ejector and extractor will make the biggest immediate difference. Since there's not another ejector option in .40 S&W and I can't tell you what angles to cut on your ejector, I'd try a LWD extractor as the quickest, most likely, drop-in fix if you continue to have problems after changing ammo brands.

If none of that works, there's a post by Randy Lee at Apex Tactical on another forum that attributes the inconsistent ejection pattern in Glocks to the cases hitting the ejection port. He lowers the ejection port to solve the issue for some guns.