Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDm Comp Series 5.25 .40

TGO

Well I now have my 5.25 .40. As I would expect it shoots pretty dang good! It has a Springfield Custom Shop trigger job on it, currently breaking at a little over 3 lbs, a narrower front sight and a jumbo tungsten guide rod from Canyon Creek custom . All else is stock, although that is gonna change soon. I am investigating the use of the .40 for both limited and production class use in USPSA competitions.

I'm going to work up minor caliber loads for Production and will start by seeing how the lighter 155 grain bullets shoot. I'll modify the gun to the same specs as my 5.25 9mm guns. I will not make any permanent mods that would make it illegal for production class, but I am going to try mag wells and extra heavy guide rods, to aid in limited class, but not permanent alterations.

For limited I will explore changes to make it more competitive against the $2500.00 dollar high cap guns we now use. I'm guessing this will be no tough task, if my experience with the 9mm 5.25 is any indication.

My first range session was just to zero and while the gun functioned fine with the two factory loads I had on hand, both are way too hot for a serious competition load. All the proper speed .40 ammo I have is loaded too long to fit in the XDm magazine. This is necessary to get Single stack and high cap 1911's to work properly. I'll just crank down the powder charge, go to a standard OAL and work up from there.

Recoil when compared to a 43 OZ SS class 1911 was a little sharper, as you would expect since the gun only weighs 34.5 ounces, when weighed with empty loaded magazine. Even with that CC tungsten guide rod installed that's 1/2 a pound less!! when I get more weight on that frame with a big mag well, I'm going to be able to make a better comparison. As far as being able to shoot it fast, I had no trouble hitting the IDPA targets 0 zone at 25 yards at a medium to fast pace. I will do more performance tests when I have the proper load worked up.

Here's what I really think. For someone who loves the polymer pistols and wants a .40 for competition, this is going to be a no brainer. You get for the price, an accurate, reliable, durable piece of equipment. Going to be interesting to see where this goes?

Rob

I agree, because I've been looking into this as well. I'm going to use it as a back up for limited and as my main gun for steel. I really think the lighter weight and balance will be an advantage shooting steel. I figure I can also use it in ESP when I dabble in IDPA. All around I think it is a great buy and could be an excellent choice for somebody who wants a gun that can be flexible for shooting different associations and divisions. In addition, I think it will also shine for the Pro AM or other similar type events.

At any rate, it is a great option for people to enter the sport who want to compete, but don't want/have the money to spend.

I've had my 5.25 40 S&W for about two weeks. I installed a PRP match trigger and went cheap on the guide rod. I took a broken punch, cleaned up the ends and epoxied the punch in to the factory guide rod. The weight seems similar to my 5.25 9mm with solid guide rod.

I haven't tried to zero yet. I've shot in the back yard with both major and minor loads. The major load is snappy but manageable, the minor (180gr bullet) is a power-puff. It seems to shoot POA with the major load. I may get to the pasture for zeroing but waterfowl season starts Thursday....

I added Arredondo +2 base pads for 18+1 capability. I believe the larger Arredondo bases won't fit in the gauge for limited.

Great pistol and superb option for a low cost limited pistol. Also a great 3 gun pistol.

Dave

I added Arredondo +2 base pads for 18+1 capability. I believe the larger Arredondo bases won't fit in the gauge for limited.

Great pistol and superb option for a low cost limited pistol. Also a great 3 gun pistol.

Dave

Pistol gear 140mm mag extension. +4 gives 20+1 capacity and fits the gauge.

Canyon Creek has already done a 4P+ upgrade for Limited.

The 4P+ is designed to be used in Limited Division, the + includes a lightened slide, stainless steel mag well, 4-140mm 21+1 round mags, KG Gun-Kote finish and extended front cocking serrations.

The 4P(Production legal) includes- Trigger job, Extended release, 5/16" Tungsten guide rod, Frame/slide/barrel refit, full width dovetail front sight(plain serrations or fiber optic) and Traction enhanced grip area.

Options include 3/8" tungsten guide rod, Canyon Blue finish, 60 degree accent cuts, aluminum mag well, tunnel shortened, lower edge of slide radius or beveled, B-1 release, barrel crown, .......

Rich

4P=Perfected-Precision-Polymer-Pistol

post-1700-0-29412700-1321899627_thumb.gi

post-1700-0-10383200-1321899663_thumb.gi

post-1700-0-98411400-1321899709_thumb.gi

Edited by RIIID

I'll have to give the magwell, mag release, and mag extensions a try.

As for 4P+ $1750?? :surprise: That was my first reaction. Then I read up on all the features.

That is a solid deal for a person who dosen't want to work on or know how to work on a firearm. Especially when you consider a basic Edge setup with 4 tuned mags is easily 2,300+ and a 2011 Semi custom setup is 2700+.

After browsing the Canyon Creek website I figure I can build a semi custom XDm 40 comp limited gun for about 1,200. I think this will about do it.

XDm 40 5.25 Competition with 3 mags = $725 give or take

Extra Mag = $30

4 - mag extension kits = about $200

Tungsten Guiderod = $90

Steel Magwell = $135

Mag release button = $35

Afterall is said and done about $1200

With a trigger job the price goes up a bit more, but still a great value and very dependable limited build.

Dave

Pistol gear 140mm mag extension. +4 gives 20+1 capacity and fits the gauge.

Two of my Pistol Gear extensions will hold 21+1. The third one will not. Interesting, eh?

I have one of Rich's first .40 5.25 limited guns. It is everything Rob has said and more. Mine has more weight due to the stainless magwell and the balance is superb. And I coming off a tuned STI Edge. The feel of the XDM has always been natural for me and after over 400 rounds, it has been virtually flawless. You might be able to build one from bare parts for less. But by the time you figure in the trigger job and the rest of the work done to this gun, it's well worth the cost.

As for 4P+ $1750?? :surprise: That was my first reaction. Then I read up on all the features.

That is a solid deal for a person who dosen't want to work on or know how to work on a firearm. Especially when you consider a basic Edge setup with 4 tuned mags is easily 2,300+ and a 2011 Semi custom setup is 2700+.

After browsing the Canyon Creek website I figure I can build a semi custom XDm 40 comp limited gun for about 1,200. I think this will about do it.

Extra Mag = $30

Tungsten Guiderod = $90

Steel Magwell = $135

Mag release button = $35

With a trigger job the price goes up a bit more, but still a great value and very dependable limited build.

I believe Springfield still has the 3 additional mags for free if you buy by 30 Nov 11.

You can save $30 there.

Why 4 mag extensions? I use two with my standard mags as backup. I understand one could go bad but that would still let you load a 21 rd followed by a 16 rd.

Dave

Variations in production of the magazine paired with basepad, spring and follower are the culprits. Good news is you can sell the 21 rounders as "super tuned". The idea of the "super tuned" magazines has always been funny to me. In all reality it just means a person beat the crap out of it with a hammer. I'm sure there is a little bit more of a science to it, however, it essentially has just been beaten in all the right spots with a hammer.

Extra Mag = $30

Tungsten Guiderod = $90

Steel Magwell = $135

Mag release button = $35

I believe Springfield still has the 3 additional mags for free if you buy by 30 Nov 11.

You can save $30 there.

Why 4 mag extensions? I use two with my standard mags as backup. I understand one could go bad but that would still let you load a 21 rd followed by a 16 rd.

Dave

Also, I almost never fire a whole mag. I may dump a mag 10-12 shots in. It really just depends on the situation and where the best place for a mag change is. Never, never, never, fire to slide lock. Change on the move at whichever point is going to have the least effect on time, but still give you the proper round count to get through a stage.

Hey I am debating picking up a tungsten guide rod myself, the current one I am using is 2.1 ounces. CC offers the 3/8" and 5/16", 4.1 and 3.1 ounces. I was curious which one you are running and any thoughts on the balance of the gun ?

• 3 weeks later...

Rich, how come you always refer to yourself in the third person? Isn't this what the queen does? Doesn't everyone know RIIID, canyon Creek and CCC are all you:) Just asking!

Ok, have now fired my XDm 5.25 .40 a bunch and want to report on it's performance. The gun has a trigger job from the Custom Shop, an extended mag release from PRP and the frame has been textured by Marty at accuracy speaks. This is the same as my 5.25 9mm. Reliability is 100%, so not much to say there. I have two setups. One for Major and another for minor.

For minor I loaded 155 grain HP bullets and they shoot very well. The gun though, set up for minor with the Springer 1.9 oz. guide rod weight and the additional weight of the .40 slide was much too slow and soft, which is odd since this is what I'm always trying to get! To help with this for the lighter minor loads I dropped down to the same 14 lb recoil spring that I use in my 9mm. This was not done for function, I just prefer the way it feels. The gun is very soft in recoil and not being too sensitive to muzzle flip, I have a hard time telling much if any difference between the 9 and .40. Anything I can do with one I can do with the other.

To set it up for limited major caliber, I installed the heavy large size spring guide from Canyon Creek. This added much needed weight to the frame and softened the recoil dramatically. With loads that make 170 power factor, I use the factory recoil spring, and leave it otherwise the same as my setup for minor production. I tried a mag-well but really didn't like the way my hand hits it at the bottom of the grip, and since I didn't want to bevel the opening in the frame to match up to the mag-well, I really couldn't load as fast with as without. I'm sure when properly installed it would be better, but the one I tried was made of aluminum and didn't add much weight, so I'm going to wait and see what else comes along. Those that like a light gun for major are going to love this setup. It is very snappy when loaded to major and just jumps from target to target. Much faster than my mega heavy long slide hi cap 1911's. But you pay for that quickness in recoil. I did shoot it in a class I held last week and am impressed with how well it performed. When I get some poundage on it I'll do a side by side comparison and report the results here.

So far I think this. For someone already shooting an XDm this is an easy decision: This is the best performing XDm .40 we have produced fro the competitive shooter. If you are wanting the versatility to shoot major caliber and still load light for minor, well, this is the ultimate of the XDm line. This gun will have you competitive in production, L10 and limited.

Rob

"Rich, how come you always refer to yourself in the third person? Isn't this what the queen does? Doesn't everyone know RIIID, canyon Creek and CCC are all you:) Just asking!" Rob

Well Rob it all depends on which voice in my head is in control at the moment. ;)

RIIID, is the lazy good for nothing sloth who happens to own/work for Canyon Creek.

Canyon Creek, is a business that provides services and products for the shooters who want the best.

CCC, I don't know what that is.

You left out another business/person that was started "Canyon Armament", IT will be manufacturing 1911's.

Now that you are confused even more, send your Limited 5.25 to Canyon Creek and that lazy RIIID will install a stainless steel mag well on it.

Rich (voice #1)

"Rich, how come you always refer to yourself in the third person? Isn't this what the queen does? Doesn't everyone know RIIID, canyon Creek and CCC are all you:) Just asking!" Rob

Well Rob it all depends on which voice in my head is in control at the moment. ;)

RIIID, is the lazy good for nothing sloth who happens to own/work for Canyon Creek.

Canyon Creek, is a business that provides services and products for the shooters who want the best.

CCC, I don't know what that is.

You left out another business/person that was started "Canyon Armament", IT will be manufacturing 1911's.

Now that you are confused even more, send your Limited 5.25 to Canyon Creek and that lazy RIIID will install a stainless steel mag well on it.

Rich (voice #1)

Best official response I have seen on this forum to date. 10 points

Mr. Rich, aka RIIID, aka Canyon Creek, aka CCC

A bit off topic, but since we are talking XDm mods...

Any plans on building a lightweight Steel Challenge gun? I feel the XDm could make a great platform for building a Steel gun. A light comp and a good optic mount paired with some slide lightening and have the comp for minor 9mm loads. I don't have the skill, but I bet you could build an awesome steel gun for Steel Challenge and the Pro Am.

Think STI Steelmaster, but based on the XDm that's lighter and cycles faster.

The common wisdom is that splits don't win matches. So are you saying you would rather have slower transitions and faster splits?

It is very snappy when loaded to major and just jumps from target to target. Much faster than my mega heavy long slide hi cap 1911's. But you pay for that quickness in recoil.

Rob

Edited by Duke Nukem

No, just saying that is a property of this setup. If you like that, then that's cool, and you then will like the light weight the 5.25 offers compared to my normal limited major gun. To each his own. Now for the Steel challenge which is all fast target acquisitions, the fact that I shot the best iron sight score I can remember with the 5.25 from an IDPA concealment legal holster says there really is something to quick target acquisition. but, Im not shooting the harder recoiling major caliber. Maybe it is time for a little further investigation of this matter!

Rich RIID CCC Canyon Armament Dettelhouser, now that's a name! Way longer than Scott Springer or Daniel Batchelor!!! I really do not want to modify this gun so that it would be illegal for production as I am not yet finished testing that possibility.

ROB

Rich, how come you always refer to yourself in the third person? Isn't this what the queen does? Doesn't everyone know RIIID, canyon Creek and CCC are all you:) Just asking!

Ok, have now fired my XDm 5.25 .40 a bunch and want to report on it's performance. The gun has a trigger job from the Custom Shop, an extended mag release from PRP and the frame has been textured by Marty at accuracy speaks. This is the same as my 5.25 9mm. Reliability is 100%, so not much to say there. I have two setups. One for Major and another for minor.

For minor I loaded 155 grain HP bullets and they shoot very well. The gun though, set up for minor with the Springer 1.9 oz. guide rod weight and the additional weight of the .40 slide was much too slow and soft, which is odd since this is what I'm always trying to get! To help with this for the lighter minor loads I dropped down to the same 14 lb recoil spring that I use in my 9mm. This was not done for function, I just prefer the way it feels. The gun is very soft in recoil and not being too sensitive to muzzle flip, I have a hard time telling much if any difference between the 9 and .40. Anything I can do with one I can do with the other.

To set it up for limited major caliber, I installed the heavy large size spring guide from Canyon Creek. This added much needed weight to the frame and softened the recoil dramatically. With loads that make 170 power factor, I use the factory recoil spring, and leave it otherwise the same as my setup for minor production. I tried a mag-well but really didn't like the way my hand hits it at the bottom of the grip, and since I didn't want to bevel the opening in the frame to match up to the mag-well, I really couldn't load as fast with as without. I'm sure when properly installed it would be better, but the one I tried was made of aluminum and didn't add much weight, so I'm going to wait and see what else comes along. Those that like a light gun for major are going to love this setup. It is very snappy when loaded to major and just jumps from target to target. Much faster than my mega heavy long slide hi cap 1911's. But you pay for that quickness in recoil. I did shoot it in a class I held last week and am impressed with how well it performed. When I get some poundage on it I'll do a side by side comparison and report the results here.

So far I think this. For someone already shooting an XDm this is an easy decision: This is the best performing XDm .40 we have produced fro the competitive shooter. If you are wanting the versatility to shoot major caliber and still load light for minor, well, this is the ultimate of the XDm line. This gun will have you competitive in production, L10 and limited.

Rob

I installed the CC stainless magwell and the 3/8 tungsten guide rod. That really mellowed the gun down with 173 PF loads. I let a 1911 guy and a guy shooting a 4.5" XDM with full power 40 loads shoot it. They said it "shoots like a .22, that is crazy". I forgot to weigh the whole gin now but I know those 2 parts added a good amount of weight. Throw in a full 20 round mag and the sights are back on target fast (if you are looking at them.

-Dan