Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mandatory Seatbelts

tightloop

state law? yes and no, the feds say we'll give you X amount of money for your roads  if you get seatbelt laws. and no money if you don't. and you cost the goverment less if you die young, no social security no medicad. the only thing they miss is your tax money. so if you die at 55 they are as happy as a worm in sh!t.

Well, personally, I don't believe I'll ever see a stinking penny of the $$$ thats raped from my paycheck every two weeks in either SS or Medicade.  Besides, the Gov't has been using both of those pools of money for slush funds since their inception.  Its the biggest fleece since the Trojan Horse.  So, for me being 28, I currently see the gov't trying to keep every single tax paying wage slave they can alive so that career politicians can keep being career politicians.  

Don't pjss down my back and tell me its raining.

Here is a group of fairly "normal" folks who like to amuse themselves by running WFO through obstacle courses blasting away at all manner of targets with extremely lethal weapons.  Any momentary lapse in judgment or control could be catastrophic, yet they gladly take the risk.  

But, they ponder the need for the ruling class to protect them from themselves by mandating that they wear seat belts and motorcycle helmets.   I'm picking up just a hint of irony.  :)   Action shooters are the coolest people on earth.

Brian:

I too just finished "Mandated Incompetence" and the piece is very well written. I especially like how you tie freedom of choice to the consequences of our actions. No helmet, no coverage for head injuries. The individual is then held responsible for their decision.

Unfortunately, it seems to me as though the masses are eager to take advantage of what they perceive as rights, but they are very reluctant to be held accountable for the results of bad choices when things go wrong. The condition is exacerbated by what seems to me to be the inability of people to consider the potential consequences of their behavior before they act.

Sam:

I think you know me well enough to understand that I am a pretty linear thinker (ok anal is more like it) and I admit that I am more that just a tad bit stubborn. I agree with your perceptions about responsible people, laws, and the loss of freedom. However, I don't understand how you could almost die in an accident from trauma to the head, while not wearing a helmet, then continue to ride without a helmet. On the surface it looks to me like you didn't learn a thing from your crash. There has to be more to it than that. A whole lot more.

I am glad you survived the crash and I know the world is a better place with you in it. Even though I don't understand part of where you are coming from, I most certainly respect your beliefs and opinions. I am tempted to buy you a cold one and have you explain it to me, but I think maybe we would be better off leaving this one alone.

(Edited by Ron Ankeny at 10:59 pm on Jan. 31, 2003)

People should be free to:

Ride motorcycles without helmets.

Drive cars without seatbelts.

Smoke and/or chew tobacco.

Have unprotected sex with prostitutes in Africa.

Spend rent money on lottery tickets.

Smear themselves with peanut butter and camp out in bear country.

Look for gas leaks with a lighter.

Go ice fishing on thin ice.

Trim hedges with lawnmowers.

Play Russian roullette.

Pet the lions.

I've personally amputated too many mangled limbs, nailed too many femurs, and seen too many head bonks and spinal cord injuries to have developed a taste for reckless stupidity.  Y'all can do what you want.

Your welcome Brian.  When I had more time to read , I was a National Review subscriber, so I know good editorials when I see them.  

Thanks for the appreciation Sig Lady!  I thought you might understand.

OK Ron, I'm glad that we have gotton to know each other pretty well and I value your friendship.  So,  I should tell you how I really feel about it.  

I always wear my seatbelt in a car, a habit I've had for years.  I have to keep control of the car in a wreck.  And I can't do that if I'm bouncing around or ejected.  

I always wear a helmet when riding a dirt bike. (I'm not crazy.)  If I were going to ride in Denver traffic, I would dang sure have a helmet on too.  

Work requires me to wear a fire proof costume all week.  There's Nomex coveralls, hard hat, steel toed boots, safety glasses, every minute.  And then there are Hot Work Permits, Confined Space Entry, the whole safety enchalada.   We take no chances what-so-ever at work and we're very proud of that fact.  (Besides, If we get sloppy you might see it on CNN.)  

I know riding without a helmet is taking a risk.  But, I don't get to take many risks in my life and his is one I feel comfortable with.   So, I guess it's my just little indulgence.   My rebellion against all the rules I have to live with.  Maybe it'll kill me someday..... probably won't .

But, I'm damn sure something will.  So, I'll keep just smilin' and taking my chances.