Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

firebird lowers

fastarget

Looking for 2 lowers to build on, and noticed the firebird lowers at shooters connection.

You read different brands mostly billets have "flared magwells", I was curious whether the firebird lowers had that feature, and how well mags load and drop out.

The Firebird lowers that Shooter's Connection has are forged, not billet. They are not flared in the competition sense. I think they are just chamfered as most forged lowers are.

They do have tapped holes to allow for removing play from the upper and lower and another to adjust for trigger engagement on stock internals.

Some of the billet lowers have huge magwells. Much faster. That said there are compromises. Some of them don't work with coupled magazines, none of them will work with the Arredondo bolt on mag well an frankly, who reloads an AR anymore? There are some empty gun starts that it would be helpful with though.

I love the Firebird lowers. Ordered 150 when Jim started making them. Have about 10 left. I've probably built 30 or so. Never a problem. Pins are placed properly, machining is top notch.

Some of the billet lowers have huge magwells. Much faster. That said there are compromises. Some of them don't work with coupled magazines, none of them will work with the Arredondo bolt on mag well an frankly, who reloads an AR anymore? There are some empty gun starts that it would be helpful with though.

I love the Firebird lowers. Ordered 150 when Jim started making them. Have about 10 left. I've probably built 30 or so. Never a problem. Pins are placed properly, machining is top notch.

good to know quality, I prefer to buy from local shooter types.

Well, up and coming tons of DMG idpa 3 gun matches in our area (3 clubs withing 45 min), since I was planning on building a couple of new platforms, I thought I would inquire first and see if there are significant advantages to the flared magwells. In IDPA, reloading is a must, mags at 10 rnds or so If I recall.

Looking for 2 lowers to build on, and noticed the firebird lowers at shooters connection.

You read different brands mostly billets have "flared magwells", I was curious whether the firebird lowers had that feature, and how well mags load and drop out.

Flared magwells are almost useless now that we have the Nordic Components 48 round mags and now the Surfire 60 and 100 round mags. I can't remember that last time i did a mag change on the clock.

You'll be required to reload if there are 15 or more rounds fired. Coupled mags are the way to go in IDPA MG. Stick with the standard magwell, IMO.

IDPA rules suck. IMO. Why bother.

Edited by tnek