Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro or XD 5.25

hitman

XDm 5.25 - I went ahead and bought a couple. I like how the M&P sat in my hand, but I didn't want to have to tune another gun - I'm just a bit burned out on all the custom work, etc, and I certainly didn't want to mess w. that for production.

Glocks are similar, IMO, but my hands get slashed all to heck by the 9MM frames, and I didn't want to switch grip angles, in case I feel like shooting open or single-stack.

Whatever works the best for you. In my case that's the 5.25. Never been comfortable with the Glock grip angle, but they seem to work for a lot of people!!!

Edited by Marv Z

I have a plain old m&p 40 (4.25" barrel), recently put an apex dcaek in it.

I rented an xd 5.25 a few weeks ago, because i've heard good things about the xd's. admittedly, it's hard to compare a rental to my own gun that i'm used to, and it's hard to compare factory 9mm loads to my 40 handloads (well, not that hard, since they are similar power), but the xd had noticeably more recoil to me, and the trigger felt heavier and notchier than my m&p even before the trigger work. I also didn't care for the hard plastic grip instead of the slightly softer feel of the m&p.

Perhaps I just got unlucky but I was pretty disappointed in the xd, and I no longer am considering one. I shot my m&p MUCH more accurately.

I considered and shot both.

Because I've had my M&P 45 for so long and love it, I was leaning towards the Pro already. The deal was sealed after some experimentation. The 5.25 impressed me, but even with a full trigger work up, it wasn't as good as my "basic trigger job" from Dan Burwell on the 45-- which is limited in terms of what he can do and still be worthy of an EDC.

The 9 Pro got the full treatment, and now has a trigger reminiscent of a 1911. Almost no take up/slack, no over travel, and a pull right around 2 pounds. It's literally ridiculous, and I think I'm spoiled from here on out.

The grip angle also appeals to me more, as does the closeness of the bore axis over my hand. The M&P tracked a lot better for me and the sights didn't lift as high. I found both of the grips comfortable and could drop mags out of both pistols without breaking my firing hand grip-- a huge difference over the Glock I'd been shooting before.

And while it didn't matter at all in my decision, I think the M&P is a better looking pistol t'boot. :goof:

Edited by Sin-ster