Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

conversion from 40 to 9mm

SMSI

what is the deal with changing the breach face? gunsmithing required? does an interchangable face affect function? thanks for the info.

SVI slides have an interchangeable breachface that can be changed without gunsmithing experience. You have to go in through the firing pin hole with an allen wrench to remove a hollow screw that retains the breachface, then remove the breachface and reverse the procedure to install the different caliber breachface. I believe SVI has a patent on this and it is only available on their slides.

what gun do you have? Other than SVI or a Kimber model, you would have to buy a new slide for the change.

SVI, luckily has the interchangeable breechface and the Kimber 9's or the 10mm models, share the same breechface dimemsions. So I have been told. But you can check the forum here and see that other have done the swap with the Kimber guns.

Ok,

The diameter of the 9 mm and 40 S&W are different. Typically, slides are made for only one caliber. So for almost all slides except those made by SV are for only one caliber.

As others have stated, normally a caliber change involves a new slide, barrel, and extractor. You need to make sure the cut on your frame/barrels is the same; W/N or C/P/L.

You will have to get the barrel, frame, and slide fitted to work properly. This generally means doing nothing to the frame. Changing the frame could alter the fit of your 40 slide.

SV is an engineering anomaly. Sandy, an engineering savant, has devised as way that only requires the changing of the breech face and fitting a new barrel. Possibly extractor too.

Thanks for all the info. its an SVI i'm looking at, and the interchangable breechface is a new one on me. Learn something new every day, no matter how old I get.

You will generally want to have an interchangeable breechface fitted (just a bit on the bottom so there is no little bump where it meets the slide) but, once fitted, it may be changed using a 1/8" allen wrench and no gunsmithing skills are required to change them. The retaining screw is made by SVI, and you won't find it elsewhere, so I suggest keeping a spare. The firing pin actually passes through the retainaing screw as shown in this photo:

http://www.sviguns.com/4007.php

Ejector should be same for 9mm and .40.

The Infinity 40 and 38super/9mm ejectors are slightly different, however, I expect one could get away with a bit of cross functionality.

Thanks for all the info. its an SVI i'm looking at, and the interchangable breechface is a new one on me. Learn something new every day, no matter how old I get.

SVI has been doing the changeable breach face for several years now, but an older gun might not have this feature.