Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

H4895

RiggerJJ

On my 1050 and 650 I have RCBS Uniflow powder measures with the RCBS case activated linkage and micrometer adjustment, so all throws are precise regardless of the powder.

jj

Best powder system in my opinion, I use the same for my 223 setup.

• 4 weeks later...

H4895 is actially a little finer than Varget and runs thru a Dillon measure pretty well. I get +-.2 grain spreads from charge to charge and many are right on the money. I can only give info on 168 nosler CCs loaded with 42gr of H4895. Out of a 24" bolt gun they run 2630fps, and out of a 16" DPMS that load runs around 2480fps. The bolt gun shoots very well at around .5" with this load, the gas gun will hold about 1.5" at 100 yards. I really like H4895.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure what you mean by "oversize"??? Splain please??? :)

I run my brass thru a Dillon full length die and trim it to length on each reloading, pretty much have to when loading for an AR-10.

JJ,

What he means by oversize is how you have your sizing die set. If you have the die too far down, then the brass is oversized and the shoulder is too far down. Even with a safe load, the primers will look FLAT and sometimes even blow out of the case when fired. Imagine a short case in the chamber when it fires. The case goes forward as the primer actually moves out of the case. At full pressure then the case is shoved back against the boltface, flattening the primer. If the case is sized just enough to fit in the chamber, then the primer cannot back out of the case. You should only screw your sizing die down until it just fits flush with a case guage. Better yet, RCBS sells a case guage that works like a micrometer. You can precisely set the sizing die to just a couple of thousands under your chambers dimension.

Not sure what you mean by "oversize"??? Splain please??? :)

I run my brass thru a Dillon full length die and trim it to length on each reloading, pretty much have to when loading for an AR-10.

JJ,

What he means by oversize is how you have your sizing die set. If you have the die too far down, then the brass is oversized and the shoulder is too far down. Even with a safe load, the primers will look FLAT and sometimes even blow out of the case when fired. Imagine a short case in the chamber when it fires. The case goes forward as the primer actually moves out of the case. At full pressure then the case is shoved back against the boltface, flattening the primer. If the case is sized just enough to fit in the chamber, then the primer cannot back out of the case. You should only screw your sizing die down until it just fits flush with a case guage. Better yet, RCBS sells a case guage that works like a micrometer. You can precisely set the sizing die to just a couple of thousands under your chambers dimension.

I use a case guage made by the rifle manufacturer. the cases guage between the top and bottom step on both ends. not sure I can size them any better for this gun...its not like a bolt gun where one can try to chamber a sized case to find the optimum sizing, I see what you are getting at, may have to devise a way to do the same in this AR10.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

• 4 weeks later...
It's not like a bolt gun where one can try to chamber a sized case to find the optimum sizing..

Why not? Can't you just separate the upper and try to shove a case into the chamber with your fingers? Or even work up dummy rounds in various sizes?

I'm not making fun of you, I'm just trying to make sure I understand how to do this...