Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

W231

Handcannon500

I tried it and gave up. Very inconsistent ignition and velocity with standard primers. I would look elsewhere.

If you couldn't get WW231 to work in 40 S&W (or any other pistol caliber) you were doing something wrong, it is extremely consistent in velocity and there's absolutely no problem igniting it with standard primers. A significant percentage of pistol match shooters load it for competition shooting, they wouldn't do that if it didn't work.

used to use HP38(twin of 231) for .40 major for a while when I couldnt get anything else. recoil impulse wasnt bad but its not as soft as N320 or Solo. I didnt like the sooty crap that it left behind with jhps and lead/moly so thats why I switched. never had problems with inconsistent velocity or ignition but then I live at sea level and used small rifle primers exclusively since I couldnt get any small pistol primers at the time. since moved on to other powders. I would use it again as an alternate if I couldnt find my main two powders.

Lots of shooters here in EL paso and in KC all said the same thing. 231 can be hard to light. Super velocity ES from 600-100 with same load and im doing everythign right. Some powders are hard to light and this did not work for me and many others. This was with lead, possibly jacketed bullets would have worked. All was fine with same loads with SR primers for hotter spark.

I tried it and gave up. Very inconsistent ignition and velocity with standard primers. I would look elsewhere.

If you couldn't get WW231 to work in 40 S&W (or any other pistol caliber) you were doing something wrong, it is extremely consistent in velocity and there's absolutely no problem igniting it with standard primers. A significant percentage of pistol match shooters load it for competition shooting, they wouldn't do that if it didn't work.

I had similar issues, very large standard deviation when chronoing, even when using small rifle primers. IIRC, this was with around 5-5.4g of 231 on a 180 FMJ at 1.190

Edited by kalaur

I have standard deviations running (on average) under 20 fps using 231 and Winchester primers, last I checked, that was pretty darn good. If you have excessive deviations in velocity using 231, you might need to change your brand of primer or check your crimp, its not the powder.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not loaded with Berrys but have used W231 for about 15yrs. For me it works wonderfully in 9mm, .40S&W .38/.357 and 45 ACP. I use it in my revo's with Federal primers without any issues. I used to use MG bullents in .40 but switched to Moly bullets for the last few years. If you are worried about 15-20 fps deviation then maybe you should start sorting and weighing your brass. (realy not worth spending any time on). I have never had an ignition issue and I use mixed brass and what ever primer I have on hand. And if you use moly bullets you will drop about a grain of powder from what you use on a FMJ bullet.

Good luck.