Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW shooter

tucker130

Brand new to this forum. I've spent the last couple hours going through "beginners" topics and can't seem to find an answer to my question. While I've done some plinking with my 22 rifle over the years, I've just recently purchased my first semi-auto pistol. I've put a few hundred rounds through at the range and while camping in the National forest. My question is: Are these "matches", wheather IDPA, IPSC, USPSA, etc... the places a "new" shooter is best served. I'm very realistic and (at least in the beginning) am not looking for the "competition" portion of the matches as much as developing proper technique, self defense tactics, safety and studying. Saturday I plan on going up to a local IDPA match and maybe just observing, maybe volunteer for taping or brass patrol. I hear they welcome you even more if you bring donuts. So, jump in, more range time, classes?

Thanks in advance for opinions and advice

(sorry if it's been covered before)

Welcome,..:cheers:

Most matches welcome new shooters with open arms just let them know you are new to the sport

"competition" is what you make it,..some folks shoot for fun and a good day out with like minded folks...some get reallyyy serious..

Saturday bring your gear and ammo, they may let you shoot a stage or 2 after it is all over to get a feel for it or you may decide to "jump right in" hard to do when your gear is at home....

But above all go to the matches and meet these folks it is a great way to get started.( I started in and compete mostly USPSA style matches )

I have seen folks shoot the same match many different ways,.. 1. for "top dog" bragging rights... 2. to enjoy the day 3. as supplemental practice for their carry gun 4. to try a different setup ,.. revolver,backup guns , even saw a shooter use a sixgun once ! As long as you are safe and follow the Range Officers directions (and that sports regulations) they are pretty easy going about how you shoot your match

John

P.S. let us know how Saturday goes for you

also may want to put your location in so folks can let you know about other matches etc. ;)

Edited by Amerflyer48

IDPA, USPSA, IPSC, MULTI-GUN, etc. are all games. Competition. You can tell they are competitive games because they keep score. I really enjoy them and have for several years now, but they are not self defense training, etc. You will learn to shoot safely, to shoot under pressure, and have a great time.

There are a ton of people who teach self defense training, proper technique, and how to do better at these games. I think you will have a lot of fun as long as you take them for what they are. AND, take your equipment with you when you go to watch.

my $.02,

George

John,

Much appreciate the reply. I don't just consider myself new to the sport but "new" to pistols. Don't want to freek anybody out when asked "how long you been shooting" and I answer "about 400 rounds". It seems with the safety controls put in by these different organizations and knowing and realizing my limitations (as in, take it slow) it could be the right place to learn. Just wasn't sure if you "seasoned" shooters felt the same way.

Thanks again,

Jeff (from Littleton, CO)

first, welcome to the best forum for competitive action shooting sports.

the single most important criteria for any new shooter in a competitive sport is that they are safe. you have to monitor yourself with respect to this, to some degree, to know when you feel comfortable enough to participate in a match. since you're relatively new with handling handguns, you need to feel comfortable enough with one not only when shooting, but also in general handling when it is unloaded etc., to maintain safety rules. i think watching the IDPA match is a great idea. you can see the level of safety required at matches, which is extremely high, and is emphasized above all else. this will provide you with criteria for your own practice and make you aware of what you can and can't do at a match. and the safety rules at matches are something we should all strive for in our everyday handling of firearms anyway. but being safe and developing safe habits that you apply naturally are very important. some competitors get wrapped up in the game and if they don't have good safety procedures then things get dangerous.

with respect to actually shooting a match, beginning competitors, no matter how much experience they have prior to joining in competition, should plan on shooting at their own pace and not feeling pressured to go fast like the big boys. speed is something that will come in time and varies from one person to another. focus on accuracy, good shooting technique, understanding the course of fire and learning strategies of approaching a course of fire. strategy in IDPA is largely determined by their rules. IPSC is more flexible. and, by all means, focus on being safe and enjoying the experience.

one of the best things that comes from competitive shooting is that is does help you develop your shooting skills. most people strive to improve their score over time and this requires improving one's skills. oh, one more thing, competitive shooting can be tons of fun and more addictive than any drug, so don't say you weren't warned!!!!

Superdude,

Thanks for the input. Over the 2 1/2 months I've had the pistol I spend a considerable amount of time handling the gun, just for the purpose of staying familar with it: loaded, unloaded, chambered, field stripped. safety on, safety off (and occasionally actually getting to fire it).

As for more addictive than any drug. Yea I've seen it, my wife shot over 800 rounds on a two day camping trip. (thank God it was only .22)

Jeff

tucker, check out the USPSA and IDPA sites. Use the "Club Finder" function to find local clubs. Probably not much going on outdoors during the Winter in your area, but maybe and also maybe indoors. Both organizations are great for new shooters!!!!! Both stress safety first. Both are great places to ask questions as is this forum. Remember the only dumb qusetion is one not asked. You will probably never find out the right answer and that is dumb!

JMHOFWIW

Richard

+1 to Superdude.

If you're safe in your weapons handling we can get you to shoot well but if you're unsafe we can't work with you.

Being safe is #1 in the list of stuff you have to do.

Go slow, observe a lot, ask questions about everything.

Your club would LOVE to have a guy come to just help out and observe.

Good luck Tucker.

JK

I don't just consider myself new to the sport but "new" to pistols. Don't want to freek anybody out when asked "how long you been shooting" and I answer "about 400 rounds". It seems with the safety controls put in by these different organizations and knowing and realizing my limitations (as in, take it slow) it could be the right place to learn. Just wasn't sure if you "seasoned" shooters felt the same way.

This probably varies from club to club, but I can tell you that if you came to the local club idpa matches here in nampa ida ho, you would be welcomed.

I had the same idea as you, of just showing up to observe, but they encouraged me to be ready to shoot, so I did. I let the RO know I was new, so they put me last, and spent some extra time explaining things to me. I returned the favor by not trying to hurry anything, and going slowly and safely, and had a blast.

Focus on safety rather than speed.

Edited by motosapiens

Thanks to all for responding and the advice. I went ahead and went this past weekend to the local match with FRIDPA. While I was welcomed to shoot in the match I stuck with my original plan of using this trip to get familiar with the concept, rules, etc....While the weather may have played a slight factor in my decision (50 to 60+ mph winds, therefore steel only) I felt it was the best decision for me. I helped with the brass and with resetting steel which opened up the oportunity to ask some questions to some of the "veterans". I've read through the Safety Course book a couple times and will spend the next few weeks practicing the tips from it and shoot the next match in mid December (weather permitting)

Thanks again to all, and any other advice or tips is appreciated.

I observed 3 USPSA matches before taking safety training. Discussing rules, safety, etiquette, etc. was very beneficial. In my safety class I was much less intimidated because I'd been more exposed. Do lots of dry fire practice, with proper techniques, so you can concentrate less on draw and reloads and more on safety rules and stage layout.