Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ga weapons permit card

Is Ga planning on changing the way their cards look I just got mine and it seems kinda cheesy just laminated computer paper like a blockbuster card I received a letter talking about changes as of 1/01/12 but my child got a hold of it and that page is gone now and the only thing that comes to mind of what it was talking about is the card layout

Mine has looked like hell for going on 14 yrs. Aint got the letter yet.... Must inquire. I have heard it is changing to a weapons permit by a friend that is a cop though. That should open the door for all sorts of things, but they should do something more professional looking. TN would be an example of a good looking card.

Changes are coming but not until next year.

"§ 16-11-129. License to carry weapon; temporary renewal permit; mandamus

(f) (2)(A) On and after January 1, 2012, newly issued or renewal weapons carry licenses shall incorporate overt and covert security features which shall be blended with the personal data printed on the license to form a significant barrier to imitation, replication, and duplication. There shall be a minimum of three different ultraviolet colors used to enhance the security of the license incorporating variable data, color shifting characteristics, and front edge only perimeter visibility. The weapons carry license shall have a color photograph viewable under ambient light on both the front and back of the license. The license shall incorporate custom optical variable devices featuring the great seal of the State of Georgia as well as matching demetalized optical variable devices viewable under ambient light from the front and back of the license incorporating microtext and unique alphanumeric serialization specific to the license holder. The license shall be of similar material, size, and thickness of a credit card and have a holographic laminate to secure and protect the license for the duration of the license period.

(f) (2)(B ) Using the physical characteristics of the license set forth in subparagraph (A) of this paragraph, The Council of Probate Court Judges of Georgia shall create specifications for the probate courts so that all weapons carry licenses in this state shall be uniform and so that probate courts can petition the Department of Administrative Services to purchase the equipment and supplies necessary for producing such licenses. The department shall follow the competitive bidding procedure set forth in Code Section 50-5-102."

Apparently those good ol' boys down in Georgia are better at faking concealed carry permits than the folks in Washington state. Or the people in charge are more paranoid about that happening. Whichever. :)

Of course, given the heat and humidity in Georgia (and I say that as someone who spent the first 18 years of his life there so I know whereof I speak) the "just a piece of paper" approach might not work so well as it would in cooler and less humid climes.