Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have NO idea what is going on with my computer. I can go to web sites from my "Favorites List" but other than that I can't open up any web sites. When I first click on my internet explorer to sign on, I get an erroe message saying the explorer can't find "file:///c:/searchpage.html:" I have tried to reset my home page to AOL, which is where I go for mail etc, but it just keeps resetting to "c:\searchpage.html" Anybody have any ideas? HELP PLEASE!

Had the same problem going through internet explorer to get to AOL Broadband via a wireless conection. Had to load the new AOL for Broadband - fixed it for me.

Bye the way - I had to hook back up to a dial up connection to even get back to AOL for the download... :wacko: I hate it when one service sabotages/changes your settings to prevent you from using another service. I think this is what happened to me.

I will try getting the new AOL software, but I don't think that is the problem. My IPO is the local cable company Insight Broad Band. I can pull up this web page, and like I said any other ones from my favorites list. I just can't go to any web site that I type in manually.

Adaware seems to scan for things slightly different than SpyBot-S&D. I run both frequently. I also run/subscribe to McAfee viral protection. I also run frequent 'Windows Updates' which purportedly add securities to one's system as well as other things relating to keeping Windows current. ;)

Both Adaware (LavaSoft out of Sweden) and SpyBot Search & Destroy (out of Denmark, I believe) are free, but SpyBot takes donations (and they'll return personal e-mails!). Adaware actually digs a little deeper into your system for nefarious interloping elements that SpyBot may not be able to do. Both are cool. B)

McAfee anti-virus programs can be subscribed to and downloaded directly. McAfee is costing me about $34-35 a year for the anti-viral. Like the aforementioned two anti-spyware and anti-malware/weirdware services, McAfee will just place an icon on your desktop and you can just scan any ol' time you please. They'll also install updates automatically for you every time you log onto the 'Net... which keeps you current with THEIR latest developments.

Get rid of your cookies, too... they can clog up your system and leave dozens of little doors open for companies to track you and bog down the functionality of your system. SpyBot is good at getting rid of these once you install it, though. But it doesn't hurt to manually go in and dump all but the ones connected to the forums you belong to (if you dump THOSE you might have to log in completely to the said forums all over again).

MEANWHILE: I've not known ANYONE (yet) that's happy with AOL. Sorry... that's just been my perspective over the past several years.

Trigger,

Are you running any form of Internet Security or other firewall software? It may only let you connect to trusted sites ---and those on your favorites list are most likely considered to be trusted sites. Had that issue with my parents 'puter....

Tweaking the security software settings should restore things to normal....

MEANWHILE: I've not known ANYONE (yet) that's happy with AOL. Sorry... that's just been my perspective over the past several years.

SL,

Soory to break it to you --- but you're misinformed: I'm happy with AOL and you know me --- at least virtually! I've been happy with them for a long time, and now that I'm transmitting images from all over, they're just a great back-up resource to have.... B)B)

Nik--

I'm glad. So now you're the FIRST person I know of who's satisfied with AOL. There's a first time for everything, they say. :P

It's always good to be first in something....

....especially since today wasn't my day to be first in shooting....

Saw this on a coworkers's PC this week. It's a type of adware that configs your PC to one homepage and won't let you off. To rid yourself you must go to the page and scroll to the bottom and you will see a VERY small link. You can go there and get the script to remove the software.

First, DON'T go to the link that Lycanthrope suggested. It's disguised as a fix and may fix it temporarily, but the web site may disable your firewall and gain access on a local level to your computer. That is a sneaky script written by the same people.

TriggerT, lemme guess... you're running Windows XP? And Media Player is also affected? I think you have a new browser hijaker that there isn't much information out on yet. I'll keep looking for info for you though. This is somewhat like a trojan (although not a virus, it doesn't replicate) as it has similar characteristics.

I'm going to assume you are not current on your Microsoft updates/patches and you need to be. Visit http://www.microsoft.com/security/ and download the updates/patches asap.

You can try these instructions, but I haven't tested them personally. Seems to be the only thing that appears to be working at the moment:

c:/searchpage.html

step 1 download lavasoft adaware (link below)

step 2 download Hijack this place it in its own folder  (link below) 

step 3 go to c:/windows/system 32 and delete Mshelper.dll and then rename mtwirl.dll to Mtwirl.bogus.

Then search for C:searchpage file and delete it .

restart computer, run Hijack this and change have it fix all occurences of C:searchpage.

run adaware and get rid of rest .

go back to C:/windows/system32 and delete mtwirl.bogus

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/

I hope this helps, good luck, keep us posted, and I'll keep researching for you.

:D

Hi guys,

Thanks to all for the info. I won't have a chance to get on my home computer for the next day or two, but when I do I will let you know how it goes. I hate that I am so ignorant of how my computer works. Thanks again.

TriggerT, here's a little more info about your browser hijacker:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=28658

Post #14 by Unzy addresses the particular CWS variant that you've acquired. You might consider joining that forum so they can assist you in it's removal from your system (or do a search on their forum for searchpage). Feel free to contact me if I can help in any way.

First, DON'T go to the link that Lycanthrope suggested. It's disguised as a fix and may fix it temporarily, but the web site may disable your firewall and gain access on a local level to your computer. That is a sneaky script written by the same people.

TriggerT, lemme guess... you're running Windows XP? And Media Player is also affected? I think you have a new browser hijaker that there isn't much information out on yet. I'll keep looking for info for you though. This is somewhat like a trojan (although not a virus, it doesn't replicate) as it has similar characteristics.

I'm going to assume you are not current on your Microsoft updates/patches and you need to be. Visit http://www.microsoft.com/security/ and download the updates/patches asap.

You can try these instructions, but I haven't tested them personally. Seems to be the only thing that appears to be working at the moment:

c:/searchpage.html

step 1 download lavasoft adaware (link below)

step 2 download Hijack this place it in its own folder  (link below) 

step 3 go to c:/windows/system 32 and delete Mshelper.dll and then rename mtwirl.dll to Mtwirl.bogus.

Then search for C:searchpage file and delete it .

restart computer, run Hijack this and change have it fix all occurences of C:searchpage.

run adaware and get rid of rest .

go back to C:/windows/system32 and delete mtwirl.bogus

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/

I hope this helps, good luck, keep us posted, and I'll keep researching for you.

Sweet Georgia Brown!

I've got an idea. Let's demand that SOMEBODY write an OS that doesn't have 8 gazillion gaping security holes in it. Virtually nobody uses the the automation features that Microsoft provides in it's Internet crapola for any legitimate purpose, so one is left to wonder why it continues to exist.

Who can possibly keep track of all this ridiculous crap? Who has the time?

Oops...sorry.....not the hate forum.....

TriggerT,

I have had the same thing happen and after installing the "pop up blocker" and "Spybot" and running a hardware firewall via a router, it still will occasionally happen. Fortunately, if you are running Windows XP, there is a quick fix in the accessories on your program list.

Go to "Start"

Click on all programs

Click on Accessories

Click on System Tools

and finally

Click on System Restore.

This will take you through a couple of screens and you will end up on a page with a calender on it with hi-lighted days that the system (your computer) has done a store of "happier times"... no.. just uncorrupted information that you use on your computer. Pick a date that is in the past prior to when your computer messed up and tell it to restore to that date. It will take about 5 minutes and will reboot your computer. You do not lose any of the work you may have done during that time.

Anyway, that's what I have to do periodically. I think it is the pop-ups that cause most of the problems and personally I am running the popup blocker from Yahoo which prevents them from showing their ugly heads.

This is a repair if you use Windows XP. I don't know if any of the other op-systems have this feature.

Best of luck, I know how frustrating it can be,

dj

If you have a CWS variant, you need, what else ;), but CWS Shredder!

Here's a good site with anti-spyware tools. http://www.spywareinfo.com/%7Emerijn/downloads.html

Get CWS Shredder, update it and run it. If that doesn't kill it, search around on the forums here: http://www.spywareinfo.com

Once you get it gone, run AdAware (always check for updates when you run it) and SpybotSD once a week or so to help prevent the crud from getting back in there.

- Gabe

PS: Getting rid of spyware does not have to be super-difficult. You just need the right tools and you should try to use them in the right order.

Start with the 'automated, general-purpose-type' tools: adaware and spybot. If they don't work, use an automated but more targeted tool: like CWS Shredder (which only kills CWS-variants). If it's still there, start using some of the manual-type tools, like HijackThis!. If that doesn't work, you hit the forums at spywareinfo.com and see if anyone has figured out how to kill your particular nasty and then you will likely have to get in there and start re-naming/deleting files and such by hand.

I tried dajarrel's fix, and that seems to have worked. I then ran SpybotSD, and it found a few things. I REALLYappreciate all the help and advise from all of you guys. I am going to print this thread, so I have the info for the future and just incase things go to hell again. Thanks again, all you guys are the greatest! :D

I tried dajarrel's fix, and that seems to have worked.

Utilizing System Restore is another 'temporary' fix. System Restore creates backup copies of the essential system files so they can be restored if they get corrupted. The problem here is, most of these malicious scripts infect these essential system files and they are copied to System Restore folder by Windows. Then after disinfection Windows will copy the infected file back over the clean ones. You're back to square one.

GRD has given good advice. Unfortunately, with these browser hijackers, one solution may not work for every user. CWShredder may or may not work, it's results have not been proven with this variant yet. Currently, c:searchpage must be removed manually. If you aren't very familiar with computers, I highly recommend you get some assistance with this. Joining one of the forums we've suggested is your best bet.

Browser hijackers, in and of themselves, are not harmful to your computer. They're just irritating as heck! My concern would be that if you've acquired c:searchpage... what else has infected your computer? You should perform a thorough evaluation of your system's health.

Good luck and please continue to keep us posted.