Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Boom!

High Lord Gomer

I had the same thing happen I sent my gun to smith told them it was a reload and they sold me a new one at a much cheaper cost. PS Thats not underware in the pic it is a scarf.

DSCN2619.jpg

DSCN2621.jpg

Details-1.jpg

Edited by ryanncass

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not hard to double charge. That load will compress with a seated bullet and with TG--Well, we see the damage. TG is a nasty powder when overcharged. TG has nitro in it.

Just glad no one was seriously hurt.

No… it's impossible to double charge that. Even if you could compress it enough, you'd need a compression die and a half dozen attempts at it adding powder between each compression. It's kind of hard to compress to a double charge when 80% of the second charge is spilled all over the press.

The devil is in the details. 9gr is a double charge fully contained within the case. The op's load is 4.5gr. If 80% is spilled all over as you said that would be from an 18 gr. quadrupel charge.

Dude! Tommy better make out like a freakin' bandit at Christmas!

Just sayin'....

Contact S&W. As has been said, they may want it for analysis. And if they offer a discount on a replacement, it's in no way shady for you to accept it. It falls into the category of "Outrageous Service", and bears greater fruit than the expense of the gesture.

The devil is in the details. 9gr is a double charge fully contained within the case. The op's load is 4.5gr. If 80% is spilled all over as you said that would be from an 18 gr. quadrupel charge.

So 9 grains of TG *will* fit in a 9mm case without disrupting the placement of the bullet prior to seating? Never worked with it, but these are good things to know...

Wow Dave, that is cool. Do you think the barrel is okay? If it isn't cracked and mics out to factory specs, it could probably be used again don't you think?

Maybe? I wouldn't, though, if it were my body parts on the line ;)

IMG_8994.jpg

By the way: here's 9 grains TG in a 9mm case. Sorta hard to double charge.

Not hard to double charge.

I agree - unless you're paying close attention to every case, only a double charge that actually overflows is going to be a "no-brainer". The picture above is an easy double charge mistake to make...

Is it possible that you were shooting lead followed by jacketed bullets. I suppose if there was some heavy lead in the barrel and you pushed a jacketed bullet down the bore it would raise pressures. What load were you shooting?

I rarely shoot lead but I appreciate you mentioning that possibility. It was 4.5gr of Titegroup under a 115gr MG FMJ at 1.125.

See, S&W puts a warning right there on the right side. I had to look twice. B)

That was too funny!

Just sayin'....

Contact S&W. As has been said, they may want it for analysis. And if they offer a discount on a replacement, it's in no way shady for you to accept it. It falls into the category of "Outrageous Service", and bears greater fruit than the expense of the gesture.

Like he doesn't make out well enough ALL YEAR long!

I will be sending it to S&W and will let you guys know what they say.

One of the reasons I switched from TG to WST. That is what a single charge of WST looks like.

I had trouble making PF with WST. How much are you using?

Maybe? I wouldn't, though, if it were my body parts on the line ;)

Not my body parts...they're Tommy's. ...and I can make another that looks just like... :P

Just sayin'....

Like he doesn't make out well enough ALL YEAR long!

Good point. I wish you'd pay my match fees and expenses and load my ammo.

Wait....skip that part about loading my ammo.