Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

machine washing a range bag

ErikW

Has anybody thrown their range bag in the washing machine? Specifically, a Shooters Connection tournament series bag? I'm pretty sure the nylon will hold up but I wonder about the internal padding and the velcro.

It will wreck it. Nylon just doesn't hold up in the washer. The agitation will break down the fabric.

Use warm soapy water and a brush on the dirty areas, then hose off and drip dry.

(Take it from somebody who's already trashed a bunch of synthetic gear trying.)

I have had my Shooter's Connection bag saturated with water at least twice and dried out just fine. But I am pretty sure Eric is right that the agitation will probably murder it.

If you do decide to machine wash it...make sure the zippers are closed or those will die a horrible death.

i have cleaned my Hafner range bag with sprayon auto carpet cleaner and a wet/dry shop vac with good results

didnt need to get the bag soaked with water but got the dirt and grime off

oh and dont forget to lube the the zippers afterwards

Erik,

Definately hand wash. Mild detergent such as Woolite in a large tub (bathtub) and a soft brush. I washed my Green Mountain bag a couple of times with no problems. Just make sure to let it dry fully. While it's drying make sure that it's 'shaped' correctly. I also gave mine a shot of ScotchGuard to help it stay clean.

Nolan

Nolan's got the right idea. And machine washing is guaranteed to ruin just about anything sooner or later. Except Levis. Well, even Levis cave in after a while, too. But the bag is too complex and made of too many destructable elements. Don't EVEN think about the washing machine with this one. :o

Range bags are alot like hockey gear - nylon w/ padding.

I use a trash can dedicated to washing stuff. I like the soap they sell at scuba shops for washing wetsuits. Add soap to water, wash well. Empty water and fill with fresh clean water and rinse well. Then hang dry.