Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5" Iron sight setup for my SS Springfield

cheers623

Getting ready to send off my Springfield 5" for some warranty work and new sights. It has the factoryNovak rear cut so am stuck with that configuration. I was thinking about Heine fixed rear .140" width notch and a plain black front .100" width post. Any wisdom? I have searched and found many threads on the black vs. fiber optic front sight debate and will try the plain black front this time. I guess I'm just looking for input on front and rear widths on a 5" SS for USPSA competition. Other combinations or makers suggestions are welcome. I noticed Sevigny won SS using his Warren fixed sights. However, I can't find the widths liste for his setup. Anyway, thanks for any input.

Cheers623

DVC

I have a black Heinie .140 rear and a Dawson fiber .100 front and think it might be the worlds best sight picture. I have the Sevigny's on a Glock and I think the notch and post widths are the same for the 1911 sights. If so, they are .115 front and .150 rear. Very close to what you are shooting for.

I also have a Novak .125 rear with a Dawson .100 front and the notch isn't as wide as I would like.

Getting ready to send off my Springfield 5" for some warranty work and new sights. It has the factoryNovak rear cut so am stuck with that configuration. I was thinking about Heine fixed rear .140" width notch and a plain black front .100" width post. Any wisdom? I have searched and found many threads on the black vs. fiber optic front sight debate and will try the plain black front this time. I guess I'm just looking for input on front and rear widths on a 5" SS for USPSA competition. Other combinations or makers suggestions are welcome. I noticed Sevigny won SS using his Warren fixed sights. However, I can't find the widths liste for his setup. Anyway, thanks for any input.

Cheers623

DVC

Pretty sure Sevigny uses the same .150" rear notch, .115" wide front as on his Glocks , the reason I think so is they didn't release the Sevigny 1911 rear with the .130" notch until the .150" ones had already been out for over a year (not to mention going to a .150" notch is probably just too much of a jump for most 1911-guys coming from narrow .115" BoMar notchs and the like).

I've shot them on a friends DW Valor and Springer Loaded, they f**kin' rule, of course I'm completely biased as I've run them on Glocks for years, but in my case they're seriously a HUGE improvement to me over most any other 1911 sights I've used (the bigger light bars feel kind of like getting better eyes to me). I know a lot of guys feel like their ratio is just too big of a "window" or that the front blade will "swim" on them in the wider notch, but to my eyes having more daylight equates to faster and generally just easier and more precise alignment... They're positively going on my next 1911.

FWIW, it took a while for them to catch on in Glock-land and now they're pretty much what every top Glocker winning matches (Sevigny, Vogel, J.Harrison, R.Rodgers, etc) and serious amateur Glocker is using. It might take awhile, but maybe with some of the attention Sevigny has generated recently by winning SSTK, I predict the same thing may happen with them catching on with the 1911's as more and more guys try 'em out.

IMO guys are just set in their ways, and tend to use what (mostly) everybody else is using, besides, out of all the 1911 aftermarket parts out there, as far as I know the only guys even making a BoMar-type rear sight with a wider notch is Dawson and Wilson Combat and they only offer a BoMar-style rear with only a .130" notch, so it's not like many single-stack shooters other than recovering/transitioning Glockers even know what they're missing...

Edited by ck1

100 brazos FO sight and Tripp rear sight on my single stack. After messing around with lots of different configurations and manufacturers, this is the setup that i found works the

best for me. The rear notch is 115 it could be just a little wider, more like 125-130 but it works for me.

Too much light on both sides of the front sight is bad for me. I've tried it. The front sight dances back and forth and leads to less accurate shooting. I have to spend more time makeing sure the sight is actually centered in the rear notch.

With a .115 (or .125) rear and a .110 front it's just a sliver of light on both sides. If I can see the front sight through the rear sight I KNOW it's centered.

When I tried a .090 front and .125 rear on my 6" gun my points went down a bunch. As soon as I changed the front back to a .110 the points came back up. If the front sight hugs either side of the wide notch, it's a C/D hit. YRMV.

Too much light on both sides of the front sight is bad for me. I've tried it. The front sight dances back and forth and leads to less accurate shooting. I have to spend more time makeing sure the sight is actually centered in the rear notch.

With a .115 (or .125) rear and a .110 front it's just a sliver of light on both sides. If I can see the front sight through the rear sight I KNOW it's centered.

When I tried a .090 front and .125 rear on my 6" gun my points went down a bunch. As soon as I changed the front back to a .110 the points came back up. If the front sight hugs either side of the wide notch, it's a C/D hit. YRMV.

Wondering if you're using an FO front as I kind of experienced a similar thing..? Since going to all-black irons the wider notch has been key whereas in the past with FO fronts it only exasperated my bad habit of breaking shots once I saw the magic dot rather than really having solid alignment... Think shooting both eyes open plays a part too, before I got retrained to utilize 'em both and when I was still only using one eyeball the wider notches (and really black fronts too) were a no-go, now I could never go back.

I use caspian bomar style rear sights on two guns. They have a .125 notch which I like along with the Dawson .09 front plain black. I am building a fixed sight 1911 now that will get the Warren Tactical Sights, the tactical version because I love them on my Glock. The wide rear notch allows me to see more target in my rear to know I'm getting my hits in the A or Zero. To me shot calling is easier with that wide rear and thin front. That in turn allows me to shoot faster and more accurate. I am also building a Single Stack that I plan to try the Tripp sights on to see how I like them but I will probably open them up a bit too. Something I would point out is front sight height on the fixed rear should be a little taller so they can be filed down to get proper POA POI.

I have a Tripp .140" / Dawson .100" on my 5" gun. I like it but it's not perfect. If I were doing it over I might go .125" or .130" rear with an .090" front.

The one thing I don't like about the Tripp is how shallow the notch is. I really dig that Heinies are cut .125" deep.