Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reduced Power Trigger Return Spring for CZ Shadow

Snowgun

Hi Guys,

I have two simple questions that I can't find the answer to anywhere, and I thought you CZ pros might know:

1. Do they make a reduced power trigger return spring?

I would like to lighten up the trigger pull a little more than my 75 shadow came with, and I thought that taking the trigger return spring down a pound (it's at 2.5 lb)would help without dropping the mainspring too much. Does anyone make these? Is it something that I may have to make/hack/bend a reg spring on my own?

2. How do you drift the trigger pin?

The CZ shadow comes apart easily, even though there are lots of parts. I noticed that the trigger pin is flared on one side. I have heard that sometimes they are staked? This is a cz 75 shadow (not spo1). The pin is not moving (tapping toward the flare) with relatively decent taps, so I stopped trying till I figure out what the plan is. I know getting them in is a challenge even with a slave pin, but I can't even get mine out... :angry2:

Thanks for any suggestions!

To my knowledge there isn't a lighter return spring available although I've been trying to convince CGW to offer one *hint hint*. You can lighten the spring by bending the legs away from each other. To remove the pin you will need a 1/16th starter punch. You can get one from CZ Custom or Cajun Gun Works. The shadow pin isn't staked, but it is flared on the left side. I would recommend having a couple of extra pins because they are hard to get out in good condition. You'll have to beat it out. CGW makes a replacement pin that just slides in and out. There is some debate over if it's legal for production, but it would help make adjusting the spring easier. Once you have it the way you want you can put the flared pin back in.

I was taught a little trick regarding lightening the TRS. You can just leave the spring in place.

1. Remove the slide

2. Cock the hammer

3. Engage the safety

4. Use a pair of thin, needle-nose pliers to gently pull the exposed spring leg up a few times. Sometimes, I even pull the trigger while pulling the spring leg. (wear safety glasses)

5. Test it by pulling the trigger to see whether the pull -- up to the sear engagement point -- has been sufficiently lightened. Don't lighten too much as the spring may become too stretched to return the trigger.

6. Repeat as necessary

Edited by justaute

So I took the frame to my buddy the gunsmith and he had to grind down a standard punch to the metric equivalent and hit the living bejesus out of it. It came out, but even he was impressed at how hard that bad boy was in there. I'll definitely be getting the "easy" pin suggested above (or maybe slightly modify the one that come out... <_< )

I ordered some more trigger springs so I can play with them. I would have just bent the one I have there in-situ but I'm doing some other shenanigans that required the removal of the trigger.

Ahhhhh forget it.

Just wait for it buddy, you know its gonna be epic when I'm done. :P

Edited by Snowgun

I have a buddy who told me that one of the Ruger pistols uses dual trigger return springs. He said he used one of those instead of the stock CZ trs and that it was noticeably lighter than the stock CZ spring. I have not tried it, I'm just passing this along.

2# is feasible, but you'll have to do a lot of polishing so it will function. 3# is possible without any other modifications. If you want to go lighter than 2# you will probably have to lighten the trigger bar and stabilize the sear cage. I would imagine you will have to lighten the sear spring as well. I'd give it a few good drop tests just to make sure everything holds the way it should before taking it to the range if you gun very light.

Edited by Lee G

2# is feasible, but you'll have to do a lot of polishing so it will function. 3# is possible without any other modifications. If you want to go lighter than 2# you will probably have to lighten the trigger bar and stabilize the sear cage. I would imagine you will have to lighten the sear spring as well. I'd give it a few good drop tests just to make sure everything holds the way it should before taking it to the range if you gun very light.

I was talking about just the contribution from the trigger return spring itself to the overall pull. It's about 2lbs right now. I'd assume dropping it to 1 would help me reach 2.75-3lbs overall w/o affecting reset.

Can I just ask....why do you want to lighten the Trigger Return Spring? What is the desired effect/result? I'm not judging, I'm asking because I'm curious. Lightening the Main spring and/or recoil spring I understand. I'm failing to see the reasoning behind the TRS.

Can I just ask....why do you want to lighten the Trigger Return Spring? What is the desired effect/result? I'm not judging, I'm asking because I'm curious. Lightening the Main spring and/or recoil spring I understand. I'm failing to see the reasoning behind the TRS.

I suppose you have to overcome the force of that trigger return spring (in addition to the mainspring) when pulling the trigger. I don't know the spring rate of the trigger spring, but I'm sure it's quite small compared to the mainspring.

Snowgun-

The trigger return portion on mine is at one pound, with a total pull of 1 3/4. To adjust, you can take a metal ink refill for ball point pins and slip it over the leg of the return spring visible on the top of the trigger while the slide is off. Bend to about one o'clock (vertical being 12 o'clock with the gun held level)and it'll be about a pound. All my internals are highly polished, don't know how this would work if yours are not.

When I tested just the trs weight it came to about 2.25 lbs. I will have my other springs reduced, but I'd rather not risk light primer strikes if there is weight I can loose in the trs. Good ideas for bending the trs guys, thanks. I've ordered a bunch to try, along with some gear from Cajun gun.

The TRS in all guns affects your split times. You may get a lighter trigger but find your splits slow down while you're waiting on the trigger to reset. I'm sure like all things, a good balance can be struck, but factor this into your decision making and by all means test a couple of different springs with a timer so you'll know for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

The TRS in all guns affects your split times. You may get a lighter trigger but find your splits slow down while you're waiting on the trigger to reset. I'm sure like all things, a good balance can be struck, but factor this into your decision making and by all means test a couple of different springs with a timer so you'll know for sure.

True, for most a lighter TRS also makes trigger freeze more common.

both of thse make sense to me, thats one thing on my gun im gonna leave alone. Honestly the trigger is so good already i dont think its worth tampering with. I know i hated the feel of my glock trigger when pin spring was light and the return extra power (reversed effect) any hesitance or mush in reset is way worse than an extra lb. to me.

True, for most a lighter TRS also makes trigger freeze more common.

Edited by poopshooter

I ordered a bunch of tr springs, along with Cajun gunworks' floating trigger pin. I got the trigger only pull down to 1 lbs from 2.5 lbs, which gave me a final SA of 2.25 lbs.

The issue with trigger freeze is interesting, I'll have to check that out. So far it still feels pretty positive.