Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

He-Man National Championship

Kathie and I got home last night about 7:00. A long trip, but completely worth it. I think I need to look at optics for this, not shooting irons at distance regularly really hurts. I can't remember all the tricks of irons due to lighting. Well not during the stage, at least. (We need a head slapping emoticon)

It seems that there were some questions concerning the target or scope on the Barrett. The first and last shooter in squad 4 both hit the target, and the strobes worked. Funny, both of them were shooting Irons! :roflol:

Stages were really in the RM3G style, which translated, challenging but a ton of fun. Those that considered the match and didn't come, really missed a good time.

Many thanks to not only Denise and JJ, but to all the staff, who were absolutely great!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you JJ, Denise, RO's and all the great He-man shooters that came to this competition. This was one to not miss and I am fortunate to have been able to attend.

JJ, being a dyed in the wool He-man 3 gunner, has the feel for how to put on a good He-man 3-gun competition, as opposed to a 3-gun competition mainly set up for Tac Optics. There is a difference.

There were no hose em down type stages. Most rifle shots required getting into some kind of expedient, awkward or unusual position and making the shot. There were also some close up 1/2 size IPSC targets to mix it up a bit. All the targets were visible and the ranges realistic.

For shotgun, being able to load quickly was helpful but the stage was not won by who could reload the fastest, it's who could shoot a shotgun with birdshot, buckshot and slugs the best. Again, the slug shots were at realistic distances where a shotgun with rifle sights was not an advantage over a shotgun with a bead.

Pistol was well thought out. Shooting full size IPSC targets at 15 yards is no big deal. Shooting at them while trying to move on unstable, rocky, prickly and uneven ground while going uphill or downhill is. Very nice.

Congrats to the winners. And thanks again JJ, Denise and RO's for making the effort and putting in the work to provide us with a great weekend of runnin n gunnin.

Let's do it again.

Thanks again to JJ, Denise and the awesome crew of RO's that they had! The He-Man Nationals was definitely the best match that I have shot this year! I'm definitely planning on being back next time around!

Congratulations again to my good friends Kuan Watson and Tate Moots for their 1st place finishes! Nicely done, amigos!

Jarmo and I got back about 6 PM yesterday from the He-Man Championship. it's about an 18 hour drive for us, but we had a great time. Thanks to JJ and Denise for putting on another fantistic match at the Whittington Center. Thanks to all the RO's, without you, the match wouldn't be possible.

We shot on squad 2 with 7 other shooters. Junior shooter, Linda Hughes (15), was shooting her second match and shows a lot of potential.

Congrats to Kuan, Tate and Jer-Bear for winning their divisions. These are three of the nicest guys on the gun range and it's an honor to get to shoot with them.

This match needs to take place again. Please show your support and let the Johnsons know that we want this to be an annual event. Let's try and get over a hundred shooters there next year. Jarmo and I don't normally shoot in the He-Man or heavy optics classes, but we had a blast. We're both going to shoot He-Man Optics at RM3G in August. So show your support for this match, get some He-Man gear, if you don't have it already, and shoot this match. Come on, you know that you've always wanted to get a .308 anyway and that 1911 and pump gun in the back of gun safe need to get out and have some round put through them. See you next year.

Ken Anderson

Product Manager, Nordic Components

I think I posted the results on the Johnson 3-Gun website: http://home.earthlink.net/~johnson3gun/id12.html

Thanks for all the kind words! I'm a little tuckered, but what a great group of people!

Thanks for everything, especially our RO's and ALL our sponsors: :cheers:

3-Gun Stuff, Birchwood Casey, Brownells, Burris, C&M Targets, Deadwood Stoves, Dillon, DPMS, Ergo Grips, Firebird Precision, GT Target Stands(that fun clay windmill), Hornady, JP Enterprises, LaRue Tactical - for our dillos, Machine Gun Tours - for our pick-up guns, Magpul, Metal Man, Nordic Components-our only Gold sponsor!!! (You should've seen Kenny and Jarmo go against each other in the shoot-offs!), ProEars, Redding, Safariland, Sierra, Spec Ops, Sportsman's Warehouse, StagArms, Truckvault, XS Sights - our very first sponsor!

I just wanted to say thank to JJ, Denise and all the Ro's for this great match.I loved this match format and had the most fun I have had shooting in a long time. It was obvious from the start this was a "labor of love" and it showed in the creative and fun stages of fire. This should be an annual event and I will go every year. If you need an excuse to buy a 308, 45 or pump gun than now you have it!!!!

Fun! Fun! Fun! The He-Man National Championship was hands down the most enjoyable match that I have participated in. Hats off to JJ and Denise for putting it together and thanks to the RO's who volunteered their time.

I was a little disappointed when I arrived and found that the competitor turnout was a little on the light side, but the shooters that were there are the most dedicated and friendly bunch that I have ever had the pleasure to shoot with. It must be the he-man division appeal that brought us together. The sound of 350 yd steel being smacked by a .308 all day long was great.

A special thanks to all of the sponsors that stepped forward and provided to a new match. Your support was amazing. Thank you Ken and Jarmo for your sponsorship. I am working a few things out with the Jr Wee-Man shooter Linda Hughes' sponsor (dad) so she can continue her competition career with a Nordic Components AR.

For those that did not attend, clear your calendars and let JJ and Denise know that you want to participate in 2013!

Edited because my fingers are too crooked to hit the right keys on this "smart" phone.

Kuan

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster

Posted a link to a pdf of a few pictures on: http://home.earthlink.net/~johnson3gun/

Go to the pistures page and click on the link!

Our photographers server crashed, so we're working on getting some more!

Please note, Kenny was dressed a little better than it looks in the upper lefthand corner! :roflol: He is styling though! :surprise:

Thanks for all the kind words!

Glad everyone had a good time!

:wub:

Denise

We did some vacationing while out there, drove up to Vail, then back down to Carlsbad. Got home late Friday, so this is a bit late.

What a great match! Stages were fun, and challenging, yet do-able. Where else can you shoot 1000 yds. with a .50 BMG, using a mountain for a backstop? Denise, J.J. and staff worked their butts off, and it showed in every part of the match. Thanks to all that worked so hard so we could come out and play. Thanks to NRAWC for having us, and special thanks to all the great sponsors. The prize table was excellent. Ken, thanks again to you, Jarmo, and all the guys that made that table so full. Great visiting with you.

Congrats to Tate and Kuan. Not ROing this time I didn't get to see them shoot, but looking at the scores shows there was some excellent shooting going on. Congrats. :cheers:

Special thanks to the "Sierra" guys for letting me hang out all weekend. (sorry I never got over for that beer) You can't ask to be in a better squad than these guys. Serious shooters, yet always having fun the entire time. Good to see friends that I only see once or twice a year. I hated to leave.

For the folks that didn't go, you missed a good one. Great weather, great stages, and good friends, and all while at one of the most beautiful places on earth. Thanks to all involved.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rumors are beginning to fly for 2013. Will there be a HM Natiionals next year?

That's it Mike, stir the pot. The long distance folks could be easily persuaded to return. :cheers:

Well you know... I just gotta be me. I can tell you for certain that this was the most overlooked matches of the season and I am glad I didn't miss it. JJ and Denise want to run this match again. If you want them to, you need to voice your support now, so they get it set into next year's schedule at a more opportune time of 2013.

Rumors are beginning to fly for 2013. Will there be a HM Natiionals next year?

That's it Mike, stir the pot. The long distance folks could be easily persuaded to return. :cheers:

Well you know... I just gotta be me. I can tell you for certain that this was the most overlooked matches of the season and I am glad I didn't miss it. JJ and Denise want to run this match again. If you want them to, you need to voice your support now, so they get it set into next year's schedule at a more opportune time of 2013.

I spoke to them at Rocky Mountain. I think JJ is shooting FNH. I'll talk to him there if I can.

It's my fault! I was so excited that we could have another He-Man...well, I was happy we could have one for JJ and the other He-Men, that I blathered about it at our local match and got Mike all jazzed, too!

Then, I totally forgot when talking with the Whittington Center that we NEED the silhouette range for our side shoot-off!!!! Want you He-Men to get to shoot at those piggies and turkeys and chickens..OH MY!!! :roflol: Hopefully, all of you will know which is which this year! :blink:

So, I had to wait to be sure!!!

And I am!!! We will be holding the 2nd annual He-Man National 3-Gun Championship at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM on June 29,30, 2013!!!

More details coming on the new thread!!! We've got a little better place to gather, food service is being improved and we're hoping to make it bigger and better!!!

So, Dan...start working on those airline tickets!!!

Go He-Men!!!!!! :goof:

Denise