Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 1100 bolt problems

Kyreb

While the new FN is still hung up at Briley getting the gremlins worked out,(see my other thread) I am back to using my old faithful 1100 for three gun. This weekend it let me down a bit in a match for the first time. The bolt stopped locking back on an empty chamber.

Any ideas on what would cause this malfunction? Other than having a Dave's aftermarket lifter, it is pretty much box stock.

Was it all of the time or just with a certain load like slugs? I ran full power slugs in mine and it would not lock open. I figured it was due to the abnormally large recoil.

The bolt is closed by the little lever that hangs out in front of the easyloader and above the lifter. It is activated by the base of a shell leaving the magazine and pressing the lever rearward.

I would look at two things:

1) Barrel seal (o-ring) and gas piston. If either of these parts was worn or damaged, the amount of gas available to cycle the gun would be reduced. The resultant short stroking could allow the gun to fail to lock open.

2) The EZ Loader is bouncing in recoil enough to activate the bolt release. As mentioned above, this can be worse with hotter loads. The fix is to cut back the prongs so that the EZ Loader is around 60-70% of its original length (reduced moment of inertia).

Edited by StealthyBlagga

• 2 weeks later...

Also check the roll pin that holds in the ez loader to make sure it isn't all bent out of shape or broken. I replace mine (roll pin that is)at least once a season because I had one break in a match once. At the MGM Ironman I change it after the second day.

Also check the roll pin that holds in the ez loader to make sure it isn't all bent out of shape or broken. I replace mine (roll pin that is)at least once a season because I had one break in a match once. At the MGM Ironman I change it after the second day.

Put a piece of music wire inside the roll pin next time you change it. Since doing this, I have run the same pin without breakage (going on 5 years now).

We can always go with the standard "Why ain't my 1100 running?" answer: A weak mag tube spring. (JUST KIDDING!!!)

I am going with Blagga on this one and saying short-stroking or bouncing EZ Loader. I've seen 'em both pretty often.