Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp crimp

No.343

I shoot mostly 230 lead round nose pushed by Clays. I'm just wondering what crimp other 625s like. I run mine at about .471 - .472. It seems to do okay up to about 40 yards or so. However, this is the only handgun/ammo combination that I have that cannot consistently nail the IPSC classic target shaped gong at the 100 yard line. My 230 grain Zero bullets can ring that gong just fine out of the same revo. I'm going to start loading lead for next year and I am wondering if I should play with the crimp a little to try to wring out a little more accuracy.

Using a Redding taper crimp die, I recently did some experimenting with different levels of crimp and accuracy. Loading Zero 185 gr LSWCHP and N310 I found that more crimp tightened up the group. Why not just try different amounts and see what works best for your load and your gun?

The FCD does not always work with lead bullets and revolvers. I have used the same load in my auto and it runs great but when I run it through my revolver it leads and bullets start to tumble. All I do is change to a taper crimp when loading lead bullets and bam no problems. Now this is for my 45 but with my .357 the FCD works great, go figure but I do have one .357 which does not like the FCD.

I've had 45 bullets creap out a bit before. I was hoping to hear what the diameter of the finished round was for other 625 shooters.

Just measured mine with no glasses and a cheep dial csliper. 0.462. Overal length 1.250. I just barely put the taper crimp from my Dillon. Not a 45 shooter though. :devil: later rdd

Edited by Bubber

I've had 45 bullets creap out a bit before. I was hoping to hear what the diameter of the finished round was for other 625 shooters.

Just measured mine with no glasses and a cheep dial csliper. 0.462. Overal length 1.250. I just barely put the taper crimp from my Dillon. Not a 45 shooter though. :devil: later rdd

I really, really, no I mean it, really hope that is supposed to be 0.472.

With lead in .45 acp I crimp from .469 - .471. Jackets seem to work well at .471-.473 in my gear.

Have you chrono the load which is not accurate our of the gun that is not accurate. Velocity may be worth considering in addition to the crimp, OAL etc.

MJ

With lead in .45 acp I crimp from .469 - .471. Jackets seem to work well at .471-.473 in my gear.

Have you chrono the load which is not accurate our of the gun that is not accurate. Velocity may be worth considering in addition to the crimp, OAL etc.

MJ

That is great question, MJ. I feel that to honestly shoot major power factor (USPSA)I have to have a load that makes 175 pf at home. I sure don't want to go any faster and I can't go slower. I don't know what else to do when it comes to speed. My load chronoed from 172 to 176 at the recent few out of town matches I attended. I used to shoot a 200 gr LSWC load that went under 700 fps in a 1911. Man that was sweet and accurate.

Thanks for the measurement info.

I am not an expert but I've been known to dabble in the revo world... most recently with the 625. We have some challenges with the 625 and "typical" 45 bullets. Roll crimp makes for better reloading... and arguably holds the bullets better (I'm not sure this is always true)... but with regular bullets with no cannelure.... crimp is not ideal. Crimping "into" the bullet has got to have an effect on accuracy... at some distances... fortunately not much for USPSA type distances unless you crimp the crap out of your loads. For my 45 loads I use a moderate taper crimp only... I rely on throat tension to hold the bullet and a good chamfer on the chambers to help reloading.

Of course this could all just be some variation from loads/bullets that just work better/worse in your given gun....

My 625's work best with fat bullets that have not been deformed by seating or crimping dies.

Using a Lee factory seating die made a good looking round that loaded easy but made a undersize bullet lead the barrel and tumble to the target.I'm a slow shooter but my bullets shoot ok.