Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Start them young

TWHaz

+1 What does race/ethnicity have to do with being robust?

He is asian so his physical built is not as robust as a caucasian. But its just me, YMMV.

Say what?

Generally, it has. If you have been to an asian country, and you are caucasian, as I assume you are, most probably you could easily appear a towering figure there. Most caucasians are taller/bigger than most asians.

To me mental maturity and physical attributes to handle the blast and recoil of a major cal gun should be the topmost consideration. Kids having smaller builds can hardly grip the handle of the gun (as in the video) that it could hurt them w/ continuous use. Above 12yo is good enough for me, but still to be seen and tested in the range.

BTW, robust=big to me

Bringing race into this discussion was just foolish and irresponsible. To say that an individual shooter might be too small or young, sure that's your opinion. You also make an assumption that a poster is caucasian, that is as bad of an assumption as assuming if he was asian, that he is small.

Start them young

Too young or not too young.

If you are teaching safety, there is no too young.

DSC02403.jpg

Thats awesome!

I took my five yo out to the range last week. The first thing I noticed was that after firing a shot he would immediately drop/lower the .22 pistol and want to run forward and look at what he shot. Mind you, that was only the second time I took him. But, I think he is too young and I still have a lot of work to do. :rolleyes:

He is asian so his physical built is not as robust as a caucasian. But its just me, YMMV.

Say what?

Generally, it has. If you have been to an asian country, and you are caucasian, as I assume you are, most probably you could easily appear a towering figure there. Most caucasians are taller/bigger than most asians.

To me mental maturity and physical attributes to handle the blast and recoil of a major cal gun should be the topmost consideration. Kids having smaller builds can hardly grip the handle of the gun (as in the video) that it could hurt them w/ continuous use. Above 12yo is good enough for me, but still to be seen and tested in the range.

BTW, robust=big to me

I'll give you that. Mostly because you use "most" and "probably". I'm Chinese and I'm only 5"7, yet I'm a lean 170lb. Lower to the ground, greater mass, more recoil control? :D

But these are 12 year old kids we are talking about. I strongly doubt kids at 12 of any ethnicity have a statistically significant difference in average height, holding other variables other than ethnicity constant.

I have kids 3, 6, 8. I haven't tried them on pistols yet, they haven't been too interested, but they do like their .22 rifles. I only allow them to shoot under strict supervision. The 8yo is pretty safe, I think she could do with a little less caution, but the 6yo needs to have me very near. The 3yo is too young.period.

I checked with our local indoor range to see if I could take them there to shoot (again, under strict supervision, one at a time), and was told the minimum age is 10.

Say what?

BTW, robust=big to me

Bringing race into this discussion was just foolish and irresponsible. To say that an individual shooter might be too small or young, sure that's your opinion. You also make an assumption that a poster is caucasian, that is as bad of an assumption as assuming if he was asian, that he is small.

Wow! I never thought my observations would become irresponsible and foolish assumptions.

I think they become foolish and irresposible only if you attach bad or good ideas/images to a race, or to something small or big.

I didn't, did you? <_<

sorry mods, for the OT

First of all, I think I want to change my user name to RobustAsian!!! :D

I have 3 kids that shoot and they are 7,10,&12 yrs. old. My 7 yr. old is literally just starting out. She is nowhere near ready to be stepping onto a stage. Not because she is 7, but because her skill level and knowledge aren't even close to being ready. And she will learn at her own pace...not her sisters or brothers pace. My 10 yr. old shoots local matches with a .22 (unofficial of course) and is learning and having fun doing it! Safety, procedures, rules, and safety and a little more safety are our only concerns right now. By the way, she has had hot brass fly down her shirt and was able to maintain safe gun control...very glad to see! My son who is 12 now has been competing for over a year and has shot 3 major matches, 2 of which he shot Major. By the way, he is very small for his age, 10th percentile. I think because he is half Asian! ;) j/k. Anyways, my point is, for my family, the training and competing begins when the child is at the right maturity (mental AND physical)level, skill level, etc...not so much how old he or she is.

Thanks!

RobustAsian

My grandson has been at the range with me since he was 3 years old, all safety gear mind you. Children have to be careful about lead, especially before the age of 7. My grandson is now 8 years old and has been shooting steel matches for 2 years and started shooting IPSC this past year. He shot in the state steel match here and shot better then some of the adults. This has been a work in progress with him though. I watch him and monitor everything he does because he is still just 8 years old. I drill safety into his brain nonstop. When I teach or certify others I hear numerous comments from others about his ability and knowledge. It depends on how much you want to put into it, but young children can be trained to learn safety, weapon control, and discipline.