Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M & P

gunner40sw

Storm Lake makes an aftermarket barrel that I've heard improves accuracy somewhat. Haven't taken the plunge on one yet myself so I can't speak from personal experience, but it's on my "to do" list for my M&P eventually.

I tried a Storm Lake barrel in .40 S&W and the accuracy improvement was minimal overall, but it would shoot heavy bullets better than my stock barrel. I eventually went back to the factory barrel though.

I'd wait for the upcoming Barsto / Apex barrel, if you have the time. It seems to be a bit delayed in its launch, but given it'll be the only fitted barrel available, if you're looking for 25 yard accuracy, that's where I'd start.

Edited by mizer67

Will it eat the S & B ammo

I don't know I reload all of my ammo for the M&P. But I have shot Federal ball ammo and WWB through it without any problems. I believe that the S&B would work also, but if you send me 4 or 5 boxes of ammo I will be glad to put it through the test :D

Will it eat the S & B ammo

I don't know I reload all of my ammo for the M&P. But I have shot Federal ball ammo and WWB through it without any problems. I believe that the S&B would work also, but if you send me 4 or 5 boxes of ammo I will be glad to put it through the test :D

Thanks that is really nice of you just take tomorrow off of work and I will overnight you the ammo

• 1 month later...

Meh. "One type of ammo" leaves a lot to be desired, as anyone with a press is going to take the time to find an accurate load for their exact and specific set up.

The two best performing loads out of each barrel, side-by-side, would be more ideal. But it's going to change barrel-to-barrel anyway-- what it likes, what it hates, and what works best in it.

Okay. I know this is a topic often discussed in this forum--the accuracy of the M&P. I've had my M&P Pro 9mm for a couple of years now. I've put 5,000+ rounds through it on the range and in matches. I'm getting a little tired of the inaccuracy issues I'm having. I noticed the problem at this past Saturday's IDPA match. Shots that I thought I called pretty well were not zeros when socred, especially if they were longer than 15yrds.

So yesterday I took my M&P out to the range to do a few more tests. I also brought my little Kimber Tactical Ultra II (3-inch barrel) 45acp because I'm going to shoot with it next week in a night shoot. It has nice tritium sights. Anyway, the short story is that that little Kimber was MUCH more accurate than my M&P. I didn't intend to match them head to head at the range. I initially just planned to test my M&P sights to see if I needed to adjust them.

But I ended up running a little test after I was shocked at how accurate my little Kimber was. I set up about 8 targets at distances between 15 and 30 yards. I shot my M&P at a normal speed and timed and scored my run. Then I shot my Kimber the same speed and scored that run. I did this multiple times with different setups, etc. EVERY FRIGGIN TIME, my score with my Kimber was significantly better. Same time, but twice the points down with my M&P. Maybe I'm just better with the 1911 format--grip and all that. Could be. But I consistently got zeros on the longer targets with my Kimber. Not with the M&P. Then I shot them for groups at 20 yards. Consistent sub-2 inch groups with the Kimber. 4-6 inch groups with the M&P (with regular flyers). The Kimber's got a 3-inch barrel, for heaven's sake!

Yikes. I'm not waiting for the Barsto barrels, I'm ordering a Storm Lake barrel today. I like my M&P too much to shelf it for accuracy reasons.

Okay. I know this is a topic often discussed in this forum--the accuracy of the M&P. I've had my M&P Pro 9mm for a couple of years now. I've put 5,000+ rounds through it on the range and in matches. I'm getting a little tired of the inaccuracy issues I'm having. I noticed the problem at this past Saturday's IDPA match. Shots that I thought I called pretty well were not zeros when socred, especially if they were longer than 15yrds.

So yesterday I took my M&P out to the range to do a few more tests. I also brought my little Kimber Tactical Ultra II (3-inch barrel) 45acp because I'm going to shoot with it next week in a night shoot. It has nice tritium sights. Anyway, the short story is that that little Kimber was MUCH more accurate than my M&P. I didn't intend to match them head to head at the range. I initially just planned to test my M&P sights to see if I needed to adjust them.

But I ended up running a little test after I was shocked at how accurate my little Kimber was. I set up about 8 targets at distances between 15 and 30 yards. I shot my M&P at a normal speed and timed and scored my run. Then I shot my Kimber the same speed and scored that run. I did this multiple times with different setups, etc. EVERY FRIGGIN TIME, my score with my Kimber was significantly better. Same time, but twice the points down with my M&P. Maybe I'm just better with the 1911 format--grip and all that. Could be. But I consistently got zeros on the longer targets with my Kimber. Not with the M&P. Then I shot them for groups at 20 yards. Consistent sub-2 inch groups with the Kimber. 4-6 inch groups with the M&P (with regular flyers). The Kimber's got a 3-inch barrel, for heaven's sake!

Yikes. I'm not waiting for the Barsto barrels, I'm ordering a Storm Lake barrel today. I like my M&P too much to shelf it for accuracy reasons.

What's your load for the M&P? They are notoriously picky, and vary from gun-to-gun.

What's your load for the M&P? They are notoriously picky, and vary from gun-to-gun.

Good question. I've tried a number of bullets and loads, but settled on Precision Delta 124gr over 3.9gr Titegroup and an OAL of 1.135 or so.

...Yikes. I'm not waiting for the Barsto barrels, I'm ordering a Storm Lake barrel today. I like my M&P too much to shelf it for accuracy reasons....

Please do post your experience with the Storm Lake barrel in your Pro. I have one in my 9FS but am going to start shooting the 5" Pro. 147GN bullets here so the slightly faster twist in the SL is a good thing. Midway shows then as backordered until the end of the year though.

'Severian' timestamp='1321489706' post='1574932']

Good question. I've tried a number of bullets and loads, but settled on Precision Delta 124gr over 3.9gr Titegroup and an OAL of 1.135 or so.

My M&P 9mm Pro is accurate at 35+ yards with 147gr Bayou bullets and 3.6 gr of N320.

...Yikes. I'm not waiting for the Barsto barrels, I'm ordering a Storm Lake barrel today. I like my M&P too much to shelf it for accuracy reasons....

Please do post your experience with the Storm Lake barrel in your Pro. I have one in my 9FS but am going to start shooting the 5" Pro. 147GN bullets here so the slightly faster twist in the SL is a good thing. Midway shows then as backordered until the end of the year though.

I ordered it, but the estimated delivery from Storm Lake is the last week in December. Hopefully when I get it it'll "drop in" and not require fitting.

My M&P 9mm Pro is accurate at 35+ yards with 147gr Bayou bullets and 3.6 gr of N320.

Found out that mine is accurate at that same range (odd we were both shooting ~35!), with 124 grain MG JHP's and 4.1-ish gr of N320.

An unnamed superstar (unless he wants to claim it) shot it at an 8" rock at 60 yards "as fast as [he] could get the hits". No specs on what ammo was used, but... I'd say the gun is pretty capable.

Edited by Sin-ster

Sin- What is your COAL with the MG 124s?

I settled on 1.140; the chamber is reasonably tight on this puppy, and that's as long as I'm comfortable with, even given the very low ES/SD of my press and components.

I was on the rifling at 1.152.

Also of note-- this batch of 124's was different from the last. According to MG, they had to convert a machine over to spin up some 124 JHPs to meet demand and the guy who usually sets them was out of town. The result is a slightly different size and profile of the tip. It shrunk my OAL for my Glock load by about .004, and you can visibly see where the nose and ogive are slightly different when holding bullets from each lot side-by-side. POI and overall accuracy was unchanged-- the contact surface and all other pertinent measurements are the same.

What that means is... check and see what you can work out with your own stuff!

Thanks Sin. The longest I can get w/ MG 124 gr JHP is 1.135".

I was actually coming up with that number as well with the "push test", and then looked around online and found lots of folks loading longer. It baffled me.

So I chunked out some dummies, starting at 1.155 to see if there was something else going on. Sure enough, right at 1.152", the rounds were spinning freely in the chamber, chambering fully and falling out freely-- no contact with the rifling. So I dropped it within a comfort zone and developed the load from there. (It's still .005 shorter than my average press test, so I'm not concerned as that is WELL below my ES for the press.)

Pressures and velocities were exactly what I expected, and the accuracy has been stellar thus far. Not sure what the heck accounts for the "missing" .005 or so from the press test, but... It exists nonetheless.

That said-- every gun is different, and you may well have one with a shorter chamber. So long as it feeds well and shoots well, there's no real need to fight for so little OAL-- especially in a pistol.

I am working up some 147 loads, at 15 yards I ended up with a 50 cent piece hole and it shot point of aim.

1.10 ovl, WST (3.5) & UC (3.4) powders, Zero 147 JHP, factory brl.

Plan on testing more this weekend at 25 & 35 yards.