Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW OPEN GLOCK 17 SHOOTER NEEDS HELP

60crewman

HELP, I have a glock 17 open pistol. I purchased this thinking i could figure it out on my own but I need some advice on how to make it run correctly.

First about me, I reload so i can make any round that will be suggested to me. The Pistol glock 17, cmore, KKM stainless 3 port comped barrel, lightened slide, sjc magwell, NON LCI extractor and 20% stronger extractor spring, springco recoil reducer. I have a few different recoil springs including the stock one. I have tried them all not 100% sure on their weights, I have tried many different loads with 115 gr berrys 124 gr berrys ranging from 5 gr to 5.5 gr of bullseye. I did shoot a box of +p ammo and it cycled fine. after that not so much. I just cant get it to eject the brass correctly it gets stuck in the slide somtimes stovepiping somtimes just not ejecting. I have a new ejector comming in the mail i hope that does it but i dont really know what else to do please help with any advice you can offer. I am open to anything. Thanks for any help....

HELP, I have a glock 17 open pistol. I purchased this thinking i could figure it out on my own but I need some advice on how to make it run correctly.

First about me, I reload so i can make any round that will be suggested to me. The Pistol glock 17, cmore, KKM stainless 3 port comped barrel, lightened slide, sjc magwell, NON LCI extractor and 20% stronger extractor spring, springco recoil reducer. I have a few different recoil springs including the stock one. I have tried them all not 100% sure on their weights, I have tried many different loads with 115 gr berrys 124 gr berrys ranging from 5 gr to 5.5 gr of bullseye. I did shoot a box of +p ammo and it cycled fine. after that not so much. I just cant get it to eject the brass correctly it gets stuck in the slide somtimes stovepiping somtimes just not ejecting. I have a new ejector comming in the mail i hope that does it but i dont really know what else to do please help with any advice you can offer. I am open to anything. Thanks for any help....

Can you get pics of the stovepipes? How often does it happen? Are you running any other powders/loads? I have never heard of bullseye in an Open gun since it is such a fast powder but I never shot a Glock Open either. Can you tell if the brass is hitting your Cmore mount? How is your ejector looking?

First off if your shooting major Bullseye is to fast a powder and I think Berry's are a plated bullet and can't be shot as fast as you need to in order to make major. I never used a +20% extractor spring but a lot of extractor pressure is probably what you need. If you make your own spring load bearing out of metal and make it a little longer than the original it will usually cure the problem. To tune it properly you should use a dummy round and have your extractor to tight for then round to feed and the gun to go into battery. Pull the load bearing and take a few swipes on a piece of sand paper (about 240 grit) and reinstall, continue this until the round feeds and the gun goes into battery. try to have the rear end of the load bearing look like the factory one and make sure the stem that goes into the spring isn't to long. This can be made from a nail in an elec. drill and is easier than it sounds.

Tim

Thanks for the reply, my Malfs happen about one in 10 to one in 15 rounds. I think that my brass is hitting my cmore mount and jamming the gun.I am loading bullseye because i have a ton of it because i normally load it for my 45 and have had great luck with it.It is a very fast powder and i thought that would be good to make my gun cycle but that is not the case. Most of my malfs are failing to extract. I tend to get a few stovepipes but mostly they just dont spit out the side and i end up doublefeeding. I just replaced the extractor With a non loaded chamber indicator extractor, and a 20% stronger extractor spring. I have a new ejector on the way from glockwerx and i hope that might help. Do you think i should switch powders to somthing like 231?

If the brass is hitting the mount it will likely leave a mark.

My guess is that with the ported barrel (reducing gas pressure) and the red dot now attached to the top of the slide, the gun probably just need a bit of a higher power load to cycle it - probably higher power than Bullseye will get you to.

Try working up a load with a very slow powder. For this part of experimentation I'd go REALLY slow like Ramshot Silhouette or similar. I'd load 30 rounds of each 0.2gr increment up to max listed load and then try them and see if you stop experiencing the malfunctions at a given point.

I'd get rid of the springco.

Can you take off the C-more AND mount?

Can you unscrew and take off the comp?

Take off the magwell.

There are lots of threads around on Open glocks...hit the search page.

You will want to look at load info as well. Generally...for an open gun, you want a slow burning powder (to work the comp and ports)...plus they have less of a pressure spike, which makes them safer to run hot.

With such a fast powder you would see extremely high pressure. With high pressures you can get cases that stick in the chamber and are hard to extract. Try changing your load before you start cutting on things. And ditch the springco and get a SS guide rod with 11 or 13lb ismi.

Autocomp should be fine, don’t have a load for you unfortunately. You might want to try different bullets though. Plated bullets are not going to handle the pressures of major PF very well. Even if they don’t tumble or have good accuracy, every time you hit a metal plate shards of the plating will go flying everywhere and won’t be very pleasant.

I've been working on getting my open Glock 19 running and had similar problems to what you are having. Switching to Power Pistol at the maximum that Alliant specs in their manual seemed to get me going and I worked up from there with a plated bullet, and even though I am going to switch to a jacketed bullet this winter the plated bullet worked fine for 2 seasons. Also make sure that the ejection port is lowered to allow the brass an easy path to escape I had to use a trimmed 11# spring for minor pf loads ~150pf and a trimmed 12# spring for Major loads ~170pf, but keep in mind that this was in a shorter Glock 19.

Hope this helps.

I had problems getting mine to run too at first. Hell it wouldnt even cycle one round. I went to a 11 pound spring and use HS6 powder under a 124gr bullet. I started low and worked my way up with a chrony. The HS6 is dirty but it works my Jager comp so I am sticking with it. It was here that I was recommended on the HS6 by JMAN. I would definately listen to the others here and switch powders. You kind of answered your own question when you said it worked fine with +P rounds.

I had some pretty good luck lastnight with 6.6gr of auto comp and 124gr berrys at 1.16OAL.very accurate I'd like to try loading some 115gr berrys with autocomp because i have a ton of them to shoot, could anyone point me in the right direction to some load data for this. Again i dont need to make major just yet but the gun will handle it i am more concerned with function. So far all the advice on this fourm has been great! and i thank you all for your time.

GLOCK 17

KKM 3 port comp

The berry bullets are likely to be your next problem. Until you get away from plated bullets, accuracy is likely to suffer when you start approaching major power factor loads.

Glad you have had some success getting the gun to run. Keep at it, you'll get it just the way you want soon enough.

MLM