Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Precision" bearings for the RL550?

Hey All...

Does anybody use something like this?

"...Premium Shellplate Bearing Kit Dillon RL 550 or 550 B Premium kit includes the very popular shellplate bearing kit, index sprocket, thumbscrews for 3 powder measures and 3 powder measure adjustment knobs. Tactile feel for priming is enhanced and more consistent priming is achieved. Thumbscrews replace screws and bolts to speed up the adjustment of the press. This configuration works with both new and old style powder measures..."

Ebay link

Does this REALLY reduce the rotational friction? Just wondering. On the Lee Pro 1000 I have I did the polish/deburr and made sure it was running bearing grease...It worked and probably saw 20-30% reduction in drag. So I know there are tweaks but didn't know about these "bearings"

Thanks

Undrpsi

Edited by Undrpsi

I have a similar bearing setup on my 650. It's smoother. Less Snappy if you cut some coils off the spring to the ball bearing. Never had it on my 550. I just polished the bolt surface area really well and lubed it with some really good moly style grease. It smoothed up a lot doing that. It was free.

If you are going to buy it, consider saving the ebay premium and order direct from the company website. I have thought about this product myself. Problem is that a little polishing and well placed grease, and all is well.

Molson

I bought the uniquetek and I like it. You can tighten the shellplate a little more and (I think) seat primers a little deeper too. The only thing I didn't like about uniquetek's was that the thing you hit with your thumb was plastic. The ebay one looks like aluminum.

I don't think the bearing is necessary at all, but I don't regret buying one.

All, if you look, I give you the mcmaster carr part numbers for the bearings and washers (I think this is a flat needle bearing right)... and it's used a bunch on 650's solve the snapping shellplate issue with full cases... It's the only way I'd reload on a 650.

Either check my posts or search for 650 bearing... it's about $4.00 form mcmaster carr so that may save you some money...

Alan

I bought the Uniquetek one and I think it's a complete waste of money. There is no load on the bearing when pushing the handle down or pulling it up. Yes, it seems like you can tighten the large bolt a bit more, but that doesn't really do anything for you as the primer seater will just come up a bit more. The primer is either seated or not and it never failed to seat without it. Keep in mind that the shell holder plate still drags against the bottom of the press and THIS is where you feel resistance when you turn it.

I found a thin sheet of teflon and cut 2 washers. I added an extra cut in the bottom washer for the ball bearing, now it turns as smooth as silk.

That sounds promising. Can you please be more specific? Something that a creatively challenged person such as myself can understand. :cheers:

You have to machine the Star Indexing thing or the toolhead to avoid interference on the 550. 650 is a little easier because you don't need to do that.

Same here, I have the 550. I had to dremel the bottom of the plastic indexing star so that it didn't hang up on the ejector wire.

Overall, the bearing let's you tighten the shell plate bolt a little more, and I think it reduces the shell plate wobble a little..but not much. Would I buy it again knowing what I know now? Maybe. If I didn't have something else I needed that money for.

If you do buy it, get it from Uniquetek directly. Dont buy it through Flea-Bay.