Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite optic sight for AR-15

Puma

Would like to know which is your favorite optic sight the EOtech or the Aim Point for an AR-15.

I used an Eotech for years on my patrol rifle but it had issues. Much prefer the Aimpoint micro (T1 or H1) to any eotech now. But my preferred optic is not a red dot on an AR but rather the Swarovski Z6i 1-6x low power variable scope.

pat

I like the eotech. I use the new one w/ the c123 batteries. I picked up a prismatic when they came out. It's a handy little scope, but the $14 batteries seem to always be dead. I eventually put it on my 10/22 and later sold it. If leupold came up w/ a better illumiation set up, I'd get another.

Why not shoot a Leupold Prismatic and crush them both?

A friend of mine has one of those. Pro's

1. IF you have astigmatism its a good option.

2. Its a scope so it will work without batteries.

Cons.

poor battery life,

eye relief is not unlimited like a true red dot. Personally give me an Aimpoint over the Prisimatic.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I would prefer Irons to either of those choices. I only own my eotec for training purposes as we are issued them at work. I can't stand the lack of field of view with the Aimpoints. Not overly impressed with the prismatic either. Come over to the dark side and get a nice 1-4 variable. Quite a few in the same price range that would be a better choice.

EOTech or Prismatic.

I think the circle dot reticle is superior to a stand alone dot. My ultimate priority is performance. I perform noticeably better with a Saturn style reticle when compared to a stand alone dot. Batteries are cheap...I'll replace them when needed. IMHO, it's a small price to pay for better performance.

I would prefer Irons to either of those choices. I only own my eotec for training purposes as we are issued them at work. I can't stand the lack of field of view with the Aimpoints. Not overly impressed with the prismatic either. Come over to the dark side and get a nice 1-4 variable. Quite a few in the same price range that would be a better choice.

if your shooting limited in 3 gun you cant have a 1x4 on the gun. only a dot.

Why not shoot a Leupold Prismatic and crush them both?

A friend of mine has one of those. Pro's

1. IF you have astigmatism its a good option.

2. Its a scope so it will work without batteries.

Cons.

poor battery life,

eye relief is not unlimited like a true red dot. Personally give me an Aimpoint over the Prisimatic.

Pat

I don't even have a battery in mine.

One pro of the Pris is lens quality especially compared with the Eotech. I was doing drills was another shooting shooting an Eo. When it got close to dusk, I had 10-15 min more shooting time as he simply could not see the targets (MGM lollipops at 100) with his Eotech. Another pro is the crispness of the etched Pris dot as opposed to the pixelated Eotech dot. It is quite a bit easier to engage farther targets with the Pris as it has a "cleaner" reticle.

Are they all acceptable sights? Sure.

I'm not sure why people refer to "field of view" with Aimpoints. You're supposed to keep both eyes open and focus on the target, therefore the only limiting factor to the field of view is your peripheral vision.

Yes in theory both eyes open helps to establish a more panaramic view, but the true field of view optically thru an aimpoint is quite small. This results in a large and for me distracting dark circle in my panaramic view. Also when shooting long distance with an aimpoint I must close my off eye to get a good precise dot and target, resulting in a really small field of view.

I'm not sure why people refer to "field of view" with Aimpoints. You're supposed to keep both eyes open and focus on the target, therefore the only limiting factor to the field of view is your peripheral vision.

I agree. I look at what I want to hit and the dot naturally points at it. It helps a lot when you are using a flat top and have the proper riser / mount installed so that the sight is in the proper plane.

Edited by Poppa Bear