Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rescue laser signalling device

My understanding is that it is illegal to point a laser at aircraft. As I was watching Modern Marvel's episode about survival gear, they noted one of the newer pieces of equipment is the laser signalling device and that you can point it at aircraft flying overhead to signal that you need help.

Does a stranded hiker need to choose between felony charges leading to 20 years in prison, or dying in the wilderness? Is there a special exception in the law about using the laser with regards to aircraft in emergency situations, or just a matter of keeping fingers crossed that charges are not filed?

In a life and death situation there is always an exception. With every law there is a list of required elements to be able to charge an individual with a charge.

Lasers come in various grades, take lirdar, prob spelled wrong, laser radar guns that law enforcement utilizes. They aim at a vehicle and pull the trigger.

What is the individuals intent?

To save his or her life.

Just pointing a laser at a plane for the hell of it, your going to get in trouble.

some how I get the impression waving a hand held laser pointer at an airplane, would probably get you ignored. If your gonna carry something around with you howabout something useful, like a compass, or a lighter, or some common sense to not get lost in the first place.

2 hunters were lost in the woods. 1st guy says to fire 3 times in the air to show they're in distress. No avail. They wait a few hours and shoot again. Still no help, so they try again. 2nd guy leans over and says, "I hope help comes soon. It's getting dark and we're almost out of arrows."

2 hunters were lost in the woods. 1st guy says to fire 3 times in the air to show they're in distress. No avail. They wait a few hours and shoot again. Still no help, so they try again. 2nd guy leans over and says, "I hope help comes soon. It's getting dark and we're almost out of arrows."

Thanks! That made my Friday! roflol.gif

Its my understanding that unless the pilot is using night vision goggles, Lasers are very inevictive and hard to see from the cockpit. I was in a training class last year with our Medical Helicopter pilots and they told us we could use the lasers from our Tazers to direct them to our LZ. They use night vision and I guess it stands out very well.

We have a state law prohibiting the pointing of lasers at aircraft but like was mentioned earlier, there other elements to the law that also have to be met. Using the laser in an emergency situation would be allowed.

Kevin

Google "mens rea"

Mens rea is not always a requirement for a conviction, especially for laws in which the government wishes to prove a point. Google "strict liability".

I assume you meant "strict liability crime" rather than "strict liability."

I know I'm not alone in thinking there'd be pretty serious constitutional defects with imprisoning someone based on pointing a laser at an aircraft in an emergency situation.

That said, I know where you're going with that--the decline of mens rea is not exactly a novel concept.

Although I won't claim that this is the only case on the subject, or that there aren't contrary cases, if anyone is interested in a mens rea case that also involves firearms, see Staples v. United States, 511 U.S. 600 (1994).

You can buy a strobe signaler like this for about $60 firefly and sometimes ebay has military surplus units for sale.

If you want to spend the money the gps units like used in aircraft but also handheld are probably the very best chance at being rescued, not cheap but if you really need them priceless. GPS survival transmitter

Here is a youtube video about an idiot getting arrested for laser painting a police helo

Edited by Ross Carter

1) Laser pointers were recently in the news, like a few weeks ago. Anybody catch why? I just heard it coming in the house but missed it.

2) I think it's with anything else, if you're doing it for an emergency, it's ok. If you're doing it to be a dick, then you deserve what you're getting.

3) what if you use one of these?: http://www.amazon.com/High-Power-200mW-Laser-Visible-Daytime/dp/B001BYFS8S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1219547549&sr=8-4

4) I didnt think laser pointers had that long of an effective range. I know green (532 nM) lasers you can see for a mile, but airplanes travel at what, 25-35,000 feet? 5-6 miles up? At that distance wouldn't the laser beam break up, not make it as focused as to cause damage (to say the retina/eyes), and just appear as a red light?

Do a search for Wicked lasers. There are other companies making lasers this strong as well. These will reach for many many miles. Not what I'd call a safe thing to do though. I like the idea of just not getting lost in the first place. I still want a 1W green laser though ;)

I assume you meant "strict liability crime" rather than "strict liability."

Exactly.

I know I'm not alone in thinking there'd be pretty serious constitutional defects with imprisoning someone based on pointing a laser at an aircraft in an emergency situation.

The constitution is void where prohibited by law which includes MA, NY, CA, NJ and a few other places :angry:

Not what I'd call a safe thing to do though.

Some of the Wicked Laser units are powerful enough to cause permanent eye damage, even off a reflection, in a fraction of a second.

4) I didnt think laser pointers had that long of an effective range. I know green (532 nM) lasers you can see for a mile, but airplanes travel at what, 25-35,000 feet? 5-6 miles up? At that distance wouldn't the laser beam break up, not make it as focused as to cause damage (to say the retina/eyes), and just appear as a red light?

I've got a green laser that we lit up at over 3 miles in some rolling countryside in the dark. And you can see the beam scatter from the side, easily back-tracing the origin. It was designed for target painting obviously without concern for detection (not IR).