Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nationals

pjb45

I thought the additional of sending out daily emails with the shooters scores was outstanding!

Holy Moly, I enjoyed this feature of the match. It was the most innovative new aspect of Nationals, that deserves noting. :cheers:

Edited by pjb45

Glad you liked it. This feature was not written specifically for the nationals, however, I did use the nationals as my deadline.

Automated results emails are sent for any match that has scores uploaded to www.uspsa.org - as long as the match has your correct member number, and you have your email in your www.uspsa.org profile, you should get the email. (You don't have to give the match your email address)

It is indeed a great innovation. However, because someone always has to complain about something...

The few times I got cell reception on the range at Desert Sportsmen there was often an email in my inbox with the results of the stages I just shot. I was like, "Stop trying to distract me stupid phone!"

Always turn your phone off while at the range. Always. :)

My phone gets no reception at any range I go to (whether it gets reception or not).

Cut the cord (is that a pun?) biggrin.gif

-------------------------

And, yes...it is nice to have that email notification of the scoring update. Cool feature.

(I'm still wishing for the match totals for Alphas, Charlies, etc. to be totaled up and displayed.) wub.gif

The one thing that would be really helpful in following interim results is some way of adjusting for who's shot what. Obviously it'll never be perfect because the HHF can change, but something like percent of available points earned would help. In other words:

Shooter A has 100 points so far and has shot a 60 point stage and a 40 point stage. Shooter B also has 100 points, but has shot a 100 point stage and a 60 point stage. Both shooters have the same score, but clearly shooter A is ahead of shooter B. If you could see standings by % of available, A would be at 100% and B would be at 62.5%.

Glad you liked it. This feature was not written specifically for the nationals, however, I did use the nationals as my deadline.

Automated results emails are sent for any match that has scores uploaded to www.uspsa.org - as long as the match has your correct member number, and you have your email in your www.uspsa.org profile, you should get the email. (You don't have to give the match your email address)

Just wanted to say again...I really like this feature. Everybody has email on their hip now days. Getting an email with your standings and hit factors makes it easy to check scores for accuracy every day.

Oh, and this... http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=137422&view=findpost&p=1547306

The one thing that would be really helpful in following interim results is some way of adjusting for who's shot what. Obviously it'll never be perfect because the HHF can change, but something like percent of available points earned would help. In other words:

Shooter A has 100 points so far and has shot a 60 point stage and a 40 point stage. Shooter B also has 100 points, but has shot a 100 point stage and a 60 point stage. Both shooters have the same score, but clearly shooter A is ahead of shooter B. If you could see standings by % of available, A would be at 100% and B would be at 62.5%.

IMHO, that really doesn't help much, because if Shooter A or Shooter B are squadded with the top shooters, their points will probably not change as other squads shoot the stages they've shot. But if they haven't got the HHF from a top shooter in the mix, they might have 'won' the stages they shot, and have that 100% of 'points available', only to see those points evaporate when the top shooters get to shoot those stages.

Case in point. I was #1 revolver shooter at the Nationals after Day 1. The squad I was in had 4 revo shooters. Me (a B class) and 2 Cs and a D. I won 5 of 6 stages, came in a close 2nd on the one I didn't win, and got nearly all of the 610 points at stake. Meanwhile, the top revolver shooters were competing head to head on a different batch of stages, with only 405 points at stake. Sure, I saved a copy of the 1st day's interim results, but I knew it didn't mean anything relative to the final standings, because my HFs would be wiped out when the top revo shooters got to those stages. Posting the percentage of points at stake wouldn't help in understanding where you're going to end up the match.

Now, what might be useful, although difficult to do for all the divisions and stages, is 'handicap' the expected HHF on each stage.

Stage designers and top shooters usually have a pretty good idea of what the hit factors should be for the top shooters on a given stage. That applies across the board, division by division. If the match organizers were to handicap each stage ahead of time, posting the anticipated HHFs by stage and division, those values could be used to compile interim estimates of scores for every shooter throughout the match. On a multi-day match like the Nationals, or the World Shoot [hint, hint for 2014], these interim estimates would give a truer picture of all shooter's positioning on every day. In addition to the handicapped stage results, the interim results could also incorporate the points available to each shooter, and come up with an estimated order of finish based on performance to these handicapped HHFs. Of course, as the top shooters compete on each stage, the handicapped HHFs would be modified to reflect reality, until it all comes together on the final day with the final results.

To be honest, this scheme would mostly benefit the intermediate shooters, not those on the super squads for each division. Unless there is a dark horse in some other squad, the super squad shooters know exactly where they stand relative to their peers after every stage is completed.

Edited by professor