Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who to get to shorten my TS's frame?

Vermilion

Wanting to differentiate my TS and also lighten and give it better balance at the same time. I was also wondering if anyone knew the process for doing such. I probably have all the machinery and tools at my work. Not sure I really wanna cut my frame myself but, if it saves time and money I might be up for it. If all that is needed is to make sure the cut is 100% true and straight then that shouldn't be a problem. I imagine I could either sand blast where I cut or sand it and the rough edges down with fine grit sand paper.

Dude, its just metal. Cut it. I used a hacksaw - measure carefully, mark it true, and cut it just slightly long, go slow, check your work, and then dress it to correct final length with a file. As TS frame are just painted silver anyway, spray some silver paint on the exposed metal and call it a day.

Wanna have real fun? Start grinding all the checkering off, and raise the grip under the trigger guard and beavertail. Then refinish the whole frame in your choice of finsh, they look good black like a CTS.

Edited by sfinney

Wonder if its hard to put lightening holes in the top of the slide as well? Would be cool to have the rectangular style ones on the sides but I don't believe I have the equipment for that.

The checkering I don't have a big deal with. In fact I've never really even "noticed" it. I might could raise the grip under the trigger guard and beavertail though.

Edited by Vermilion

I'm thinking of chopping the frame right before the KS on the right side of the frame. Is there any legal issues of chopping it off after the serial number on the frame? Wish there were more pics online of the chopped TS frame.

Do not chop off serial #.

Here's a pic of one....

IMG_2120.jpg

I'm thinking of chopping the frame right before the KS on the right side of the frame. Is there any legal issues of chopping it off after the serial number on the frame? Wish there were more pics online of the chopped TS frame.

Yeah I saw that pic but, my serial number is only like 1/2" from the end of the pistol. That pic would take the whole thing. I thought maybe I could just re-stamp the serial number on the frame. Sigh, maybe I'll just sell my TS and buy a CTS.

Edited by Vermilion

Vermillion,

The best way to shorten the frames dust cover is to have it milled. Only a qualified gunsmith can re-engrave the serial number if it is necessary. The frame on your pistol uses a modified CZ-97 frame. I have shorten frames and re-graved serial numbers. There are many smiths that can do this.

Please remember you are also compromising the frames finish (your's looks to be nickel plated). So you must factor this in as well. You cannot re-nickel part of the frame, adding considerably to the cost unless you are willing to use any of the popular spray-n-bake finish's.

Edited by schmeky

As far as I know the CZ TS's frame is just a sprayed on finish. I've heard it eventually flakes off after a bunch of use. Not too worried about that part, will probably just spray the end of the dust cover with some silver spray paint.

So what is the difference between a qualified gunsmith and just a regular run of the mill gunsmith when involving re-engraving serial numbers?

The reason I was wanting to avoid sending the frame off was because I didn't want to be without the pistol and I don't really wanna pay a bunch of money for something that seems to be an easy job. Getting nearer to the end of the year also means most peoples guns are going to be at the gunsmiths as well.

... Maybe I'll sell the TS and buy a CTS or, pick up this LNIB CZ75 SA my local funstore has.

Edited by Vermilion

Maybe what I will do is start right next to the serial number and cut straight down until I reach the diagonal area then cut at an angle. Could give a very different look. I just want it to look like the CTS without having to spend that much money on another blaster. Need to get that extended safety as well.

Sigh, decisions decisions. Haha

Hell I could maybe get a Jeweler friend to re-engrave the serial number or restamp it. We have stamps out at work but they are pretty crude and don't know if I want to slam a 4lb hammer onto a punch onto the frame.

Yup I posted in it. Awaiting a response back from Freedom. Though from what Kitestir told me its gonna be a lot more $$$ than I really wanna spend. I'll either try it myself or just leave it as is.