Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 S& W ammo

czambesi

I am shooting .40 S&W in limited. I know I need to maintain at least a 165 PF for major in limited USPSA. From looking at charts a 165 or a 185 can make it. I see alot or people stating 185 grain is what they use. Is this because a heavier bullet comes out slower so there is less snap?

Thanks,

Chris

Generally, the heavier the bullet the less felt recoil for the same power factor. Some people prefer it to be a bit snappier, but that is also something you can tune by using different powders.

There are people that are using 200 grn in .40 now too, but I'm kinda afraid of that because it puts a lot of stress on the brass and I like to reuse my brass many many times.

I am shooting .40 S&W in limited. I know I need to maintain at least a 165 PF for major in limited USPSA. From looking at charts a 165 or a 185 can make it. I see alot or people stating 185 grain is what they use. Is this because a heavier bullet comes out slower so there is less snap?

Thanks,

Chris

I am shooting zero 180's in 40, I have tried 200 but did not see the difference, now when I changed the OAL on my 180's I did notice due to pressure rise what I percieved as more "snap" at the SAMMI spec, but I load much longer now as instructed by top loaders and shooters for my STI, recoil is fine and runs great. Maybe this will help...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive tried some unknown brand fmj i got from a local gun store, these were not as consistant in weight as the montana golds. The price and availability of montana gold is what sold me on them and they work well for me in my glock.

I've only recently started reloading w/ my new XL650, but I have always preferred the factory 180's and now

am loading the 180gr. "Pulled" bullets often mentioned on the board here.. I am loading mine @ 1.185 & 4.6gr. (Last time w/ a friends chrono anyway)

of VV N320 & a .421 crimp... (Lol..! I had a REAL heavy crimp; smaller than the bullet dia.! last time we went, so I've not changed my charge yet...)

'Basically the same FPS, etc.. out of both my STI Edge & Trojan...

I will use up the rest of these bullets then am going to go to Montana Golds for certain.! I liked the idea of these pulled 180's, but many are

dinked and mushed on the flat nose which is a real P.I.T.A. for trying to remain consistent on any level...

reloading in general, is how much you are willing to spend and how much are you shooting. You will NEVER spend less, you can just shoot more with your money.

for 40 S&W, top end bullets, most use Montana Gold. Pulled bullets are great alternative and available at one of our Benos vendors, Power Factor Shooting.

If you shoot for quantity, you can go cast, molly, or plated. I use these JD cast. Accurate and cheap!

Now, for powders, again, clean burning consistent PF, alot uses N320. Not always available locally though and it is more expensive. I have used HP-38 (Hodgdon) or Winchester 231. Cheaper, soft and clean burning powder. Consistent too, in PF and metering (when loading).

What type of gun are you using it with?

I have tried 200gr and 180gr. I sticked with 180gr, felt recoil is almost identical, its cheaper.

Fixer- how do you like your Edge and Trojan? I was looking at those but I am also looking at a custom built one also. Are your's straight from factory STI or are they Tuned?

Mine were both factory direct guns, but both have been "Spruced" here and there.. I had a few hiccups right after my Edge came back from Hard Chroming

due to the firing pin port in the firing pin retainer not having been "Chased Out" after chrome... A firing pin that moves freely IS a GOOD thing..! Lol.!

The Trojan (Factory HC..) is in progress; I'm running Tripp "Corey" mags (10rnd., .10mm w/ hybrid followers) but need to weld & re-cut my feed ramp to bring it

"Aft" a hair... My last Trojan (9mm HC) needed the ramp eased forward a smidge then it ran like a scalded cat..

(Pics of both the new .40 and my old 9mm are posted here on the forum)

I could have bought parts & built my gun, but this is far less hassle for me and I am absolutely PRO STI in general.

Good luck w/ it..

Eric

Torogi- I use a M&P pro .40 right now in limited. Getting a XDm 5.25 for production and looking at a 1911 type for limited and one for SS. I will be shooting a lot. The more I shoot the better I'll get. Plus it will help the costs. A friend gave me a Rock Chucker supreme kit that I am going to use for bolt action. I am investing in a Dillon 650 for 9mm, .40, .45, and .223. I am trying to finish senting up my reloading bench.

Gunfixer- I will not build it myself, I am too inexpirenced. I will be buying from a gunsmith that builds them. Which USPSA club do you shoot at?

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by czambesi

I'd build one if I weren't so freakin' pooped out after my full time job and side work at my shop..

IMHO and as I have been doing, these are absolutely great guns in need of minor tweeking occasionally to

get superb results, as good as custom built which also will likely take some tweeking regardless the $$ and time spent..

So.. I saved time, $$, my patience & sanity.. And best of all, I have Top Grade guns that I am very very happy with..

If you have the bucks and want custom, that is a great way to go of course..!!