Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun type optics

Tejfrog

I'm looking for a variable power scope for my 3 gun AR. I have been looking at the Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x20mm MR/T M2 Illum. Reticle and Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4x24 30mm and the Nightforce 1-4x24. I have been reading on here guys are saying the Nightforce are not letting in as much light as others? I have used Nightforce scopes a lot in the past but it's been a few years and I always loved them I thought Nightforce glass was amazing, But I was shooting the 22 power scopes on a 300 Wing Mag. Are they not top notch anymore? And what about the Leupold? I know they are quality but when I used to shoot them a lot they did not compare to Nightforce. I have never used the Trijicon Accupoint? I have used ACOG's a lot in the past and I used to like them but they seem like a thing of the past now.

Another scope I would like some feedback on is the Valdada IOR 1.5-8x26 35mm scope. I have never heard of this company until recently, what is the quality of there glass like? Are their scopes ruggedized at all? Or are they cheap made scopes that are overpriced?

Thanks Guys! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

you need to find some guys that will let you try their scopes out, so that you can find out if a 1.5 or 1.25 low end side is going to work for you.

Personally I would not have much fun shooting 3 gun or would I be much good at it -IF- I was stuck with a scope that only went down to 1.25 or 1.5

The meat and potatoes of the 3 gun event is shots that only use 1 power or would work with iron sights. = I shoot many shots with both eyes open= if the right eye sees something different that the left eye, it will slow you down.

I used to think a bright red dot was 'required' to do well, its not. so long as the reticle has contrast to the target its good and provided you can see the reticle in all lighting.

Its no secrete that I love the Vortex Razor. The Razor is not a requirement for most of the 3 gun targets. What I love the scope for is the hard shots = The targets all of us remember=

Also look at the pinned topic on the main rifle page for low power optics reference chart.

JPRIFLES.COM also has some good info and a one place stop to view some of the scopes used in 3 gun.

Edited by J.Schmitt

Leupold makes great scopes and has for decades. The MR/T is an excellent option.

I prefer my scopes have a true 1X magnification on the low end. I prefer the US Optics SN-4 1-4x with the Lund reticle.....but then again I'm biased. I designed the reticle. :D

I'm looking for a variable power scope for my 3 gun AR. I have been looking at the Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x20mm MR/T M2 Illum. Reticle and Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4x24 30mm and the Nightforce 1-4x24. I have been reading on here guys are saying the Nightforce are not letting in as much light as others? I have used Nightforce scopes a lot in the past but it's been a few years and I always loved them I thought Nightforce glass was amazing, But I was shooting the 22 power scopes on a 300 Wing Mag. Are they not top notch anymore? And what about the Leupold? I know they are quality but when I used to shoot them a lot they did not compare to Nightforce. I have never used the Trijicon Accupoint? I have used ACOG's a lot in the past and I used to like them but they seem like a thing of the past now.

Another scope I would like some feedback on is the Valdada IOR 1.5-8x26 35mm scope. I have never heard of this company until recently, what is the quality of there glass like? Are their scopes ruggedized at all? Or are they cheap made scopes that are overpriced?

Thanks Guys! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I am now the owner of 2 nightforce scopes. One of them being from the prize table at RM3G (Thanks Denise!). Through personal experience I have found only one other brand that allows improved light transmission, and that is Schmidt and Bender.

The Nightforce 1-4 is super clear, but the reticle choices are so-so. The mil-dot and npr reticles are very fine and hard to pick up when moving. The FC-2 is o.k., but there is no vertical stadia to assist with holdover for long shots. The FC-2 does have a post at the bottom, but that is 10 minutes from the dot.

I like the look of the new velocity reticles that they offer, but they start in the 2.5-10 scopes and are not listed for the 1-4.

The Leupold M2 is good, but I prefer a true 1x mag for close targets. The CMR 2 reticle is a big improvement over the SPR reticle, but it is still a 1.5-5 scope. Until the VX-6 shows up on the market, I will stay clear of the 1.5-5.

I have no experience with the TR-24, but a buddy of mine is evaluating one at a DM course this weekend and will give me some good feedback.

I currently run a Burris TAC 30 for Tac Optics, but with me that may change with the wind.

Like Alamo Shooter said, try out all of the scopes that you can beg or borrow.

I did try the search feature, I'm trying to decide on an optic and wanted some input. Isn't that what these forums are all about???

Actually no, these forums are about sharing information. The information you are seeking is very easy to find using the search function.

One search for 3gun Optic with 137 results, all the effort damn near killed me

Sometimes it is best to at least put forth some effort on your own, rather than flipping attitude and being lazy.

I just shot a carbine match today with my new IOR 1.5-8 x 26. The CQB reticle in this scope is much larger than in the 1.1-4 IOR that I usually use. I haven’t really had time to evaluate all the functions and features of it yet but plan to thoroughly get to know it. So far I am pleased with the clarity and the size of the center dot. According to the spec sheet it is 3 MOA @ 8X, I will confirm soon. Do not over look the IOR scopes, and remember to practice because you can’t buy skill.