Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

whats your general opinion of lead 147gr bullets?

What Gun and what is the twist rate of your barrel? BBI 147gr 9mm bullets shoot really good for me. Sub 3 inches at 50 in one of my guns. Which is better than any jacketed except Zero amd Hap that I have tried.

Edited by DWFAN

Personally, I don't like the heavier bullets in 9mm, 9mm was designed to use 115 gr bullets, IMHO the bullets over 140 gr don't seem to work as well as the lighter ones.

9mm was designed for 124 grain bullets, not 115.

I have had excellent performance from 147s.

Accuracy with a 147gr can be affected by the powder that you use as well as how much. With the same gun and all other components 147Gr JHP Zeros are not accurate with Clays at 3.2gr, but the same bullet gun combo with N320 (3.5gr) ties the holes together at 15 yards free style.

I have not shot the Bayou 147gr but I have done very well with the Bayou 135gr loaded with 4.0gr of WST. Again accuracy is great, but the 147gr Zero is still just very slightly better, out of my CZ Shadow, or STI open gun. The 135gr is perfect for those that can't seem to make up thier mind 124gr or 147gr, shucks just shoot 135gr!

There are other factors, even the primers can have an affect on accuracy. Each gun will shoot some bullets better than others, finding out which one works best, well that is where you just have to do a lot of testing. The heavier bullet in a std gun seems to flip and recoil less and allows one the confidence to shoot a bit faster.

I don't shoot 115gr bullets much, they seem to have an issue knocking down steel unless I get them up to about 1500 fps, aka 9 major. Only one of my open guns will shoot 115gr accurately, it has a 1/32 twist barrel, instead of the 1/16 twist like the others.

Bayou bullets don't smoke, don't turn your fingers green, and your barrel stays nice and clean, no caca to dig out. I have found them to be almost as accurate as Zero JHP's, and more than adequate for USPSA or IDPA, Steel etc.

Edited by CocoBolo

147s are my favorite in 9mm. My Benny Built Fat Free shoots them like a friggin laser.....

Kinda funny that I like the way the gun behaves with 147s in 9mm - about the heaviest bullet commonly sold for a 9 while I like a 170 in my .40 - a pretty light bullet for major..

of course, YMM (will)V....

Personally, I don't like the heavier bullets in 9mm, 9mm was designed to use 115 gr bullets, IMHO the bullets over 140 gr don't seem to work as well as the lighter ones.

Lots of guns work very well with 147 grain bullets. I have noticed that lead bullets in the 9mm don't always work well.

pat

Whether 9x19, 9x21, or .38 Super:

Most folks are very happy with the standard long-ogive, shorter bearing surface bullets. I find the Lyman 147gn .356" bullet mold (produces more of a "keg"-like bullet) performs better for me. Remember, the 9mm was never designed for a 147gn bullet, but they can be very accurate with the right size and the right lube.

• 4 weeks later...

147L in a 9mm with 3.2 solo is my go to load in a M&P 5" for a while now and the future. I will look into molly and Bayou bullets for future use as i have no more at the moment. Shoots well in my gun as far as i can tell. Never shot it for groups off a bench but it will hold a zone or 0 at 25 yds.