Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Birth of a Rivalry?

bbbean

I think it's interesting that after Dave Sevigny ended TGO's reign at the Single Stack Nats, TGO beat Dave S at the Production Nats. Could we be watching the birth of a multi-division rivalry between two of the best of the best?

BB

After the last stage somebody made a comment to Robbie about Dave's run on the stage. His response was he didn't care how Dave did, he was trying to beat Ben. Got the strong impression Robbie didn't care if he came in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, whatever. He was going for 1st. It was interesting to watch them on the last day. They really poured it on. There were plenty of points in the air they could have come back. Dave pulled out all the stops and burned down the next to last stage. If he had his hits it would have been enough for the win. But he didn't. Ben was the opposite. First stage of the last day he was not happy with a run. I told him he gained on Rob and Dave because of problems they both had. He didn't care how they were doing, it just wasn't up to his standards. Nice to be in the drivers seat.

I think it's interesting that after Dave Sevigny ended TGO's reign at the Single Stack Nats, TGO beat Dave S at the Production Nats. Could we be watching the birth of a multi-division rivalry between two of the best of the best?

BB

Rob Leatham came in first in Production in 2006 in Tulsa too. Dave was third that year. I always find it fascinating to watch via results uploads, and I always wish I was at the Nats, so I could see some of it in person.....

But then I'd want to shoot them too, and that would most likely interfere with the watching....

BB

It ain't new. In 2006, Dave won limited and then TGO won production...

Perhaps it it is the ~26 National and ~5 World Championships that tend to make Rob a favorite. Then throw in HiPower rifle and clays.

I suspect Rob's first lost at Nationals this past week was less than a point and the second was the last stage, last target, last shot fired that determined the winner.

What Travis did a couple of years ago was fantastic. So my sense is I agree with beltjones, everyone is in a rivalry with TGO.

TGO, once again, was amazing gracious with helping other shooting build a good stage strategy.

At his very gracious acceptance of his Limited Division National Championship Trophy, Shannon Smith said something like, this is my 10th (or so) nationals appearance - I think Rob has won more championships than that..."

And Rob said out loud, "Oh way more than that!"