Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winter Pistol Project Pistol. Opinions needed.

Babaganoosh

Pretty new to this forum so hi to everyone out there.

Now here is my situation. Over the course of the winter I want to put together a pistol for shooting Limited. However I have some "rules" shall we say. I already have a pistol for shooting Production. I'd like to take advantage of the extra points from shooting Major. If I shot all alphas in production I really wouldn't care though! ha

Now some background. First off, I live in NJ, so we have a 15 round mag limit. Mind you a lot of guys do break out "the big stick" during matches. It might be an option in the future but right now I don't want to be caught with a so called "hi cap mag" in NJ. I believe its a few years in jail. Yes I know, in your state it's just a mag but not here in the peoples republic of NJ. I do have mechanical ability an access to a decent amount of tools. So for minor things that might require fitting by a gunsmith I can probably do for the most part. I wouldn't tackle anything major though.

I am also looking for something in the mid price range. I'm not made of money but I am not poor either. I just happen to have a lot of expensive hobbies so I have to spread the money around. My plan is to accessorize it a little bit at a time. I get paid every 2 weeks and will prob use some money from each check to do something else. Maybe combine 2 paychecks for expensive work.

One of my issues is I don't know what caliber I want to shoot as of yet. I do have an XD tactical .45. However it costs a pretty penny to keep it fed. Yes I do reload. It also seems that there aren't many accessoires for the XD in .45. Not as many mag pouch options, not as many holster options, mag extensions, slam pads and all that good stuff. They do have a lot for 9mm and .40, but 9mm would put me in Production anyway. I have been leaning towards .40 cal because it offers a little more mag capacity then a .45 and the brass and bullets are a bit cheaper as well. What does everyone think about this?

Another requirement I have is reliability. This is why I shy away from the race guns. Like all high performance things, they tend to be very finnicky with ammo, mags, temp, and what day of the week it is. I would like the option to shoot off the shelf ammo thru it if the need arises. I don't need a highly tuned machine but more of a workhorse with some upgrades that make it a bit better then an off the shelf gun.

So far I have been thinking of another XD or a Glock. My cousin even suggested some sort of double stack 1911/2011 type gun. They seem to be a bit pricier though, I am not however disqualifying them at this point. If I could pick up a decent 2011 for 150 to 200 over a Glock or XD I would do it. From what I have read the best triggers are the 1911/2011 platform.

So anyway I know this was a lot to read and I appreciate anyone's input

A quick list of rules for the gun.

1. Mid priced

2. Great reliability

3. Not overly expensive ammo. (38 super is a no no)

4. Shoots major

5. 15 round mags available with the possibility of a big stick in the future

6. Lots of accessories available

Thanks guys, feel free to ask questions if anything needs to be clarified.

I want to put together a pistol for shooting Limited. I live in NJ, so we have a 15 round mag limit. I am also looking for something in the mid price range. My plan is to accessorize it a little bit at a time. I don't know what caliber I want to shoot as of yet. I do have an XD tactical .45. However it costs a pretty penny to keep it fed. Yes I do reload. It also seems that there aren't many accessoires for the XD in .45.

I have been leaning towards .40 cal because it offers a little more mag capacity then a .45 and the brass and bullets are a bit cheaper as well.

Another requirement I have is reliability. This is why I shy away from the race guns.

So far I have been thinking of another XD or a Glock.

If I could pick up a decent 2011 for 150 to 200 over a Glock or XD I would do it. From what I have read the best triggers are the 1911/2011 platform.

Babaganoosh, I believe almost everybody who shoots Limited is shooting a .40 - for exactly the reasons you've mentioned.

Be aware that loading .40 to major (168 - 172 pf) is a little more complex than loading 9mm or .45, especially

if you go with heavier bullets and faster powders.

Sounds like you don't like the XD due to lack of accessories, which leaves a Glock as an excellent choice for Limited.

I would think it would be cheaper to shoot your XD .45 than purchase a new XD .40, though, wouldn't it? See if you like it.

Race guns are reliable - but they are very expensive (compared to a Glock or an XD).

Don't believe you'll ever find a 2011 platform (the 1911 isn't for Limited - but for Single Stack) for a few hundred

dollars more than a Glock.

If you're trying to save money (aren't we all) and just starting out - I'd shoot the .45 XD for a season and see where

the whole thing goes for you - you might want to do something else next year.

Good luck,

Jack

.....for a little over $500, you could get a Tanfoglio Match in .40. Mine works and is superbly accurate and reliable. DOuble that and you can get a CZ TS or Tanfo Limited.

I want to put together a pistol for shooting Limited. I live in NJ, so we have a 15 round mag limit. I am also looking for something in the mid price range. My plan is to accessorize it a little bit at a time. I don't know what caliber I want to shoot as of yet. I do have an XD tactical .45. However it costs a pretty penny to keep it fed. Yes I do reload. It also seems that there aren't many accessoires for the XD in .45.

I have been leaning towards .40 cal because it offers a little more mag capacity then a .45 and the brass and bullets are a bit cheaper as well.

Another requirement I have is reliability. This is why I shy away from the race guns.

So far I have been thinking of another XD or a Glock.

If I could pick up a decent 2011 for 150 to 200 over a Glock or XD I would do it. From what I have read the best triggers are the 1911/2011 platform.

Babaganoosh, I believe almost everybody who shoots Limited is shooting a .40 - for exactly the reasons you've mentioned.

Be aware that loading .40 to major (168 - 172 pf) is a little more complex than loading 9mm or .45, especially

if you go with heavier bullets and faster powders.

Sounds like you don't like the XD due to lack of accessories, which leaves a Glock as an excellent choice for Limited.

I would think it would be cheaper to shoot your XD .45 than purchase a new XD .40, though, wouldn't it? See if you like it.

Race guns are reliable - but they are very expensive (compared to a Glock or an XD).

Don't believe you'll ever find a 2011 platform (the 1911 isn't for Limited - but for Single Stack) for a few hundred

dollars more than a Glock.

If you're trying to save money (aren't we all) and just starting out - I'd shoot the .45 XD for a season and see where

the whole thing goes for you - you might want to do something else next year.

Good luck,

Jack

What Production gun are you shooting?

Are you reloading or buying factory ammo?

If you aren't reloading, buy a Dillon press (from our host) with a couple of those first paychecks. It will cut your ammo bill in half. (and is a great winter project)

If you reload, then you might consider shooting the Xd 45 in Limited-10 division.

What Production gun are you shooting?

Are you reloading or buying factory ammo?

If you aren't reloading, buy a Dillon press (from our host) with a couple of those first paychecks. It will cut your ammo bill in half. (and is a great winter project)

If you reload, then you might consider shooting the Xd 45 in Limited-10 division.

I am shooting a Beretta 92. Not the most popular gun for USPSA but I like it so I shoot it. I don't worry about what all the kool aid drinkers think. I have done some small upgrades to it like D spring and a trigger job.

I reload already so don't have to worry about that one. I have dies for 9mm and for .45. Case feeder as well. Very happy with the set up. Sorry it's a red press, not a blue one!

I have talked to some people and they have mentioned that the best niche for the XD 45 is in Limited 10. I'm not against that idea but I also wanted to load more then 10 rounds in my mags. I also noticed that most guys are running sweet 1911's in that division. Kinda hard to compete with that.

Just to add that I shoot 2 USPSA matches and 1 steel match a month on average. I shoot the Beretta or my Ruger MKIII for the steel match.

To add some more info on this.

I have been shooting USPSA since April. Have a few matches under my belt now.

I see someone mentioned it above but it looks like the Glock 35 might be the best fit so far. However I noticed that they just introduced the 5.25 XDM in .40 cal. The only issue is that it has a 16 round capacity mag. If I could get it pinned to be NJ legal that would also be an option because I really do like the XD/XDM platform. The new 5.25's are awesome.

I would watch the classifieds. At times there are some complete set-ups in .40 cal. Recently (may still be there) there was a Para with 4 mags for around $800. You also could look at the Eaa.

You will see a good deal on those once in a while. I would not worry to much about shooting a Beretta. There is at least one shooter out there doing real well with it.

JM

I would buy a Para if you really want to try a single action limited gun but don't want to shell out $2000 or so. Paras are regularly available for $800-1000 with everything you need and are perfectly fine and even in some ways superior to the S_I design (if you like a heavier gun, a bit fatter grip, and depending on mags they may hold 1-2 more rounds).

I shoot an STI but I wouldn't feel undergunned with a Para. I definitely can't shoot a striker fired gun like I can shoot a single action, but others can.

No matter what, it must be a .40.

Edited by twodownzero

I would def look at used guns actually. Only one gun out of the 7 I own was bought new. Waiting on permits here in NJ or I would prob pull the trigger on that Para. The process sucks here in NJ and it's BS.

So far I feel like my options are in no specific order...

1. Glock 35

2. XDm 40

3. Used 1911/2011.

If you don't want to shoot L10, then I suggest a 2011 of some sort. STI Edge is quite a bit more expensive than a Glock or XD, but IMO a more competitive pistol in limited division. You say you don't think a XD or Glock would be competitive in L10 against the sweet tricked out 1911s, its the same thing in limited. A Glock or XD trigger will never feel the same as a single action. Used STIs come across classifieds often, and if you go this route there are TONS of upgrades available, individual parts are readily available and relatively inexpensive. There are also many gunsmiths that can work on 2011s (if they can do 1911s they can do 2011s). You can generally still run factory ammo with STIs. An STI would also give you the option of going full on limited if you moved to a state without shatty gun laws, all you'd have to buy is mags.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you can find one, a 5" barreled M&P 40 Pro or 40L can be made into a great limited gun. Apex Tactical makes an awesome trigger for it. Because you have the 15 round magazine limit in NJ, the stock 15 round M&P 40 magazines would be a perfect fit. I've got about every aftermarket goodie on the gun, and I don't think I've run that much over $1,000.00 total.