Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow/75/SP-01 Grips

Racer377

Couple questions about the VZ grips.

1) Are they production legal?

2) What is the difference between the VZ Diamond and VZ Tactical Diamond grips? Which is the most aggressive?

1. Yes.

2. This doesn't pertain to VZ CZ grips. They only make "diamond," "frag," and there's a new one, "diamond back," that they just put on the site in the last few days, but no pics yet. I suspect it's the super aggressive pattern also used on 1911 grips of the same name.

The "diamond" pattern on a 1911 has a small non textured portion surrounding the grip screws. The "tactical diamond" doesn't.

Ok thanks. CZ custom offers both VZ Diamond and VZ Tactical Diamond grips. That's why I asked. From the pics it looks like the regular diamond grips have bigger "checkers."

If you are not in a hurry, I have a set of the VZ and Hogue if you want to check them out in person. I just never know when I'll make it to a match.

For a guy with an SP01 Shadow who wants to shoot both games grips are a real problem.

What wanted is a grip that i was happy enough with that I would make weight. Plastic and Marchals are just bout the only options light enough. I came up with a nice setup that fills my hands and is about as slip free as it gets. 20 dollar plastic grips, file and home depot grip tape. the pictures tell the story. less uniform tape and it be down to the starting .6z weight.IMG_0166.jpgIMG_0167.jpgIMG_0170.jpg

Ok thanks. CZ custom offers both VZ Diamond and VZ Tactical Diamond grips. That's why I asked. From the pics it looks like the regular diamond grips have bigger "checkers."

If you are not in a hurry, I have a set of the VZ and Hogue if you want to check them out in person. I just never know when I'll make it to a match.

Are the Hogues thicker or thinner than the VZa?

I decided to try the VZ Diamond Back's. I'm a lefty and the new style grips from CZ don't have a piece of grip tape towards the back of the right grip. When my right/support hand gets a little sweaty it starts to slide around on the back of the grip.

There is zero chance you can slide around on the Diamond Backs however after shooting a couple hundred rounds last night my hands hurt. Long story short, I may be back in the market for another set of grips that is "just right" between the AL and Diamond Backs. The textured AL grips look interesting but ugly (at least in the pictures I've seen online).

Does anyone know if I can take a piece of sand paper to the VZ grips to knock down the sharp points on the checkering a little? Is the color of the grips impregnated all the way through the material or just on the surface?

I did lightly sand my VZ Operators II on my 1911 and there were no problems. However, on my Diamond Backs, I'm going to keep the sharp cuts.

I decided to try the VZ Diamond Back's. I'm a lefty and the new style grips from CZ don't have a piece of grip tape towards the back of the right grip. When my right/support hand gets a little sweaty it starts to slide around on the back of the grip.

There is zero chance you can slide around on the Diamond Backs however after shooting a couple hundred rounds last night my hands hurt. Long story short, I may be back in the market for another set of grips that is "just right" between the AL and Diamond Backs. The textured AL grips look interesting but ugly (at least in the pictures I've seen online).

Does anyone know if I can take a piece of sand paper to the VZ grips to knock down the sharp points on the checkering a little? Is the color of the grips impregnated all the way through the material or just on the surface?

Long story short, I may be back in the market for another set of grips that is "just right" between the AL and Diamond Backs.

You're pretty much describing the original VZ grips that were available for CZ exactly, think they're called "tactical diamonds" these days. They're slightly thicker (and better shaped IMHO) than the thin AL grips and are very, very grippy without being too harsh.

FWIW, I'm a fan of Larry Davidson's "Shredders" on 1911's, and since the VZ Diamond Backs are probably the closet thing to that available for the CZs, a set is in my future... Give me a holler if you decide you want to get rid of them...

Edited by ck1

CK1 - I'll keep your offer in mind.

I ran the grips an an indoor IDPA match without any discomfort so either I'm becoming accustomed to the super gripiness of the Diamond Backs or my callouses have sanded down the grips a little. On the bright side my callouses are mostly gone and my hands are nice an soft now. :roflol:

I apologize for the thread-jacking, but I figured this would be a better place to ask rather than start a new thread.

I'm moving to SP-01 from the SIG P226 with the E2 grips and with my short fingers on the medium-sized palms I can't reach the magazine eject button on Shadow with my strong-hand thumb. So I want to narrow the original question: if you've tried a variety of the *thin* grips for CZ (and your reasons for choosing thin grips are same as mine), which ones (I've seen them in aluminum, plastic and rubber) did you like and why?

Thank you guys.

Hey Stan,

First off, congrats on your first official IPSC match last night!! You did pretty well!!

And welcome to the so-called 'dark side' :D

Get the thinnest grips you like and I'll help you make mag release button lighter as well then :D

You missed out on me breaking slide stop on my Shadow today, first part to fail after about 35K rounds thru the gun :D

But I had a spare in my bag, and still have 2 more at home :D

Cheers,

CeeZer

P.S. FYI - Match results are now posted.

Edited by CeeZer

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on the Diamond Backs. I really like these grips. I didn't end up sanding them because either they became a little less aggressive with use or I'm just used to them. I do have one gripe with the VZ grips. They are secured by a grove that engages the frame at the front of the grip and with the grip screw. The CZC Aluminum grips have a ridge that drops into the entire cutout in the frame so there is very little movement in the grips when the grip screw is removed. The VZ grips will fall right off when the screw is removed. I'm guessing the VZ grips were originally designed for a gun frame that uses two screws to attach each panel.

It was impossible to keep the VZ grips from loosening up because tolerance of the screw hole was sloppy enough that the torque of the gun recoiling would loosen the grips even with lock washers and blue locktite. The G10 material may have been wearing under the lock washer and the grip becoming thinner over time rather than the screw backing out.

I put a small piece of electrical tape in the cutout on the grip that engages the frame to push the grips back and take some slop out of the screw hole by casing it to bind a little bit on the shaft of the screw. So far the grips are still tight but I've only shot it once.

hmmm... you might want to contact VZ. My Diamond Backs have the cut-out on all three sides (front, top, bottom), which are similar to the long-arched aluminum grips I have from CZC. In short, mine don't move at all.

Quick update on the Diamond Backs. I really like these grips. I didn't end up sanding them because either they became a little less aggressive with use or I'm just used to them. I do have one gripe with the VZ grips. They are secured by a grove that engages the frame at the front of the grip and with the grip screw. The CZC Aluminum grips have a ridge that drops into the entire cutout in the frame so there is very little movement in the grips when the grip screw is removed. The VZ grips will fall right off when the screw is removed. I'm guessing the VZ grips were originally designed for a gun frame that uses two screws to attach each panel.

It was impossible to keep the VZ grips from loosening up because tolerance of the screw hole was sloppy enough that the torque of the gun recoiling would loosen the grips even with lock washers and blue locktite. The G10 material may have been wearing under the lock washer and the grip becoming thinner over time rather than the screw backing out.

I put a small piece of electrical tape in the cutout on the grip that engages the frame to push the grips back and take some slop out of the screw hole by casing it to bind a little bit on the shaft of the screw. So far the grips are still tight but I've only shot it once.

Anyone tried these newer-style Walnut grips..? http://shop.cz-usa.com/P-19108/Walnut-Grips-Cz-75.aspx

I've found that the stock rubber grips fit my hands better than any of the others but I'd like to find something a hair thinner with less palm swell... Usually I loathe wood grips, but I'm considering ordering a set of these...

Anyone tried these newer-style Walnut grips..? http://shop.cz-usa.com/P-19108/Walnut-Grips-Cz-75.aspx

I've found that the stock rubber grips fit my hands better than any of the others but I'd like to find something a hair thinner with less palm swell... Usually I loathe wood grips, but I'm considering ordering a set of these...

They're pretty, if nothing else!

IF they're made on the same tooling as the cocobolos that came on my Shadow Target custom (they look like it) They'll feel just like the rubber ones, but less grippy. The measurements say they're slightly thinner, but I can't tell.

A set of thick aluminium grip tape grips came today. They feel pretty good. Thickness is about right, but the most interesting thing is the way they have no material in the upper back portion, where the web of my hand is. It makes it feel like I'm higher on the gun somehow. Not sure I like the aesthetics of that exposed ledge there though.

CZgrips.jpg