Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightest MainSpring that can be used and be reliable in .45?

sasquatch981

I have 17lb mainsprings in my other (2) pistols but they are both .40's. What is the lightest spring you can use in a .45 and still have 100% reliabilty? I just bought a new SA TRP and the trigger is nice, but comes in at 5.5lbs. I would like to get it down to ~3-lbs. I know that I can monkey with the sear spring, but the Main-spring has to be part as well. I am hoping a drop to 17-18lbs will allow reliabilty and a slightly decreased weight as well. What about a titanium cap, and strut? Will that help with weight, or just lock time and "cool-factor"?

your gun probably came from the factory with a 19, a change to 18 or a 17 could change the trigger by a few ounces (4-6), I run 18 in mine......combine that with a little adj to the sear spring could get it down in the 3s, but to get it real light a good gunsmith to change the sear/hammer angles.

I have 17lb mainsprings in my other (2) pistols but they are both .40's. What is the lightest spring you can use in a .45 and still have 100% reliabilty? I just bought a new SA TRP and the trigger is nice, but comes in at 5.5lbs. I would like to get it down to ~3-lbs. I know that I can monkey with the sear spring, but the Main-spring has to be part as well. I am hoping a drop to 17-18lbs will allow reliabilty and a slightly decreased weight as well. What about a titanium cap, and strut? Will that help with weight, or just lock time and "cool-factor"?

A lot depends on the load you use. A friend shoots steel challenge using a Colt NM in 45ACP loaded with 3.5 gr. YTrail Boss and a 230 gr. lead bullet - you can almost see the bullet bgoing downrange. He uses a 10 lb. recoil spring for reliable function.