Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pirates of Texas Carbine Championship

Already got my confirmation email. I signed up for both matches and am thinking about renting a house on the beach for the week. Would be nice to bring my wife and little monsters for a vacation. I've only been to Corpus once to pick up my Benny Hill Mossberg so if anyone has suggestions on places, I'd appreciate it!

Ben

Edited by wideerhunter

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a FTDR ?Realy?

Hope you don't mind some honest, hopefully helpful, feedback based on discussions with numerous 3-gun shooters at the FB3G match this past weekend. Not sure how many shooters have signed up for your match, but two items in particular may be keeping some shooters away.

1 - The FTDR penalty really turns off a lot of 3-gunners. For many, it's too much like IDPA. If you have well-thought out courses of fire with appropriate WSBs, you don't need an FTDR penalty.

2 - Most everyone I spoke with disliked the random draw prize table format and would prefer to walk the table based on match performance.

Just wanted to let you know what some avid 3-gunners were talking about this past weekend. I've shot the TX Carbine Championship every year it's been held, but haven't yet signed up for either match since the club split. If ya'll got rid of the FTDR and adopted a performance-based prize table, I'd move heaven and earth to be there.

I for one like the random draw prizes.

FTDR sucks but its not my match, their match , their rules.

Are these the same avid 3 gun shooters, who shoot for the fun of it??

But if they don't have a payday, in the form of an suitable prize, will not attend. Good.

I'll probably go to both, but have other things to resolve before I can plan that.

FullAuto is right...FTDR is a very negative penalty for a weak/failure on the staff to troubleshoot the stage. I do understand you have never had to use this but I have to side with FullAuto here. Of course like Maytag said...

This is a Trophy match only...if sponsors want to give stuff then I agree...random draw!!

I do understand the awards should reflect/reward the placing, hence the trophies. The North West Multi-Gun Challenge pays $CASH and trophies to the top 10% and then random prize table for all the goods that the great sponsors have given. This year (2011) we had a random prize table and only advertised it as a trophy match like this one and almost filled the match. We too want to draw the shooters that really support the sport...shooters under the top 10% and appreciate the stuff more!!!! :P

Yes, I sent a letter to all of our shooters after the match this year and over 60% wanted the prize table to remain random...just saying. As match directors we can't make 100% of the shooters happy 100% of the time but we try. Suggestions are always welcome but in the end someone has to make the decision.

Putting on my NOMEX again...

RLTW,

Scott

I for one like the random draw prizes.

FTDR sucks but its not my match, their match , their rules.

Are these the same avid 3 gun shooters, who shoot for the fun of it??

But if they don't have a payday, in the form of an suitable prize, will not attend. Good.

I'll probably go to both, but have other things to resolve before I can plan that.

I agree, their match = their rules. I'm just providing feedback based on conversations with numerous 3-gunners, most of whom usually finish in the top 50% at Major matches.

At the end of the day, the MD will make the appropriate decisions and shooters will either attend or not. I'm just letting the MD know how "some" shooters feel about the decisions he's making. Either way, I'm sure the match will be a hoot.

Already got my confirmation email. I signed up for both matches and am thinking about renting a house on the beach for the week. Would be nice to bring my wife and little monsters for a vacation. I've only been to Corpus once to pick up my Benny Hill Mossberg so if anyone has suggestions on places, I'd appreciate it!

Ben

I don't know about houses for rent but that time of year Beach Front Condos should be no problem I will check and see what is available. What type of accommodation do you need? Number of bed rooms, bath rooms, kitchen?

Sorry for the delay I haven't checked in for a day or so I have been doing "Shop with a Cop" I will check today and get back to you this evening.

Maytag

I hadn't thought about a condo...that would be great. 1-2 bedrooms with a kitchen would be ideal.

Thanks!

Ben

I am unable to post the links on this form because it was rejected automatically because I am too new. So if you will check the Texas Carbine Forum I will list them there, or send me an email to Maytag@texascarbine and I will send them to you.

Sorry for the delay I haven't checked in for a day or so I have been doing "Shop with a Cop" I will check today and get back to you this evening.

Maytag

I hadn't thought about a condo...that would be great. 1-2 bedrooms with a kitchen would be ideal.

Thanks!

Ben

Edited by Maytag

So with ftdr and procedural it's just another IDPA match. So the big match will be IDPA and enforcing cover? How else would be able to have ftdr if it is freestyle shooting? Want to make sure before signing up. I don't shoot IDPA matches too many subjective rules.

Mike

So with ftdr and procedural it's just another IDPA match. So the big match will be IDPA and enforcing cover? How else would be able to have ftdr if it is freestyle shooting? Want to make sure before signing up. I don't shoot IDPA matches too many subjective rules.

Mike

Good question!

Mike

This is not an IDPA match and there will be no mention of cover in any course of fire. We are using Vickers scoring WITHOUT the Failure to Neutralize (FTN) penalty. We have never given a Failure to do Right (FTDR) penalty nor have I ever seen one given at any match. We retain that penalty not because we are incapable of designing good stages, (our past matches will attest to that,) but as a solution to someone who attempts to make a travesty of the match just to win. When we put on the matches in the past for the other club, BOTH the FTN and FTDR penalties were in the scoring and no one had a problem. As a matter of fact, if memory serves, you also shot the match Mike and I don't remember you complaining about scoring back in 2010. If you check the other club's website in the carbine score section, you may notice more than a few names of some importance to our sport who shot the match and had a good time and I believe that anyone who attends our match this year will also find it both challenging and fun.

Maytag

Edited by Maytag

I was there and have shot the local mmatch. We were forced to shoot only certain targets from one spot even thought they were clearly visible from another(local match). In case you had not noticed I have not been back to another. I am glad you guys are putting on the match. My impression of the whole thing was it is just another IDPA match, so I have stayed away. I want to shoot not worry about what order I shot a target in.

Mike

I am unable to post the links on this form because it was rejected automatically because I am too new. So if you will check the Texas Carbine Forum I will list them there, or send me an email to Maytag@texascarbine and I will send them to you.

Maytag

Thanks!

Ben

These links list Condo rentals on North Padre Island (gulf beach) and some on Corpus Christi Beach (bay beach). I would have no problem with any on North Padre Island or Port Aransas. Corpus Christi Beach has some nice ones and some are old and not too nice. I will be happy to give you my opinion on any before you book. We have no relationship with any of the links.

http://www.vacationhomerentals.com/vacation-rentals/Corpus-Christi-Texas-vacation-rental-townhouse-proID-44018.html

http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/25328.html

http://rentalmgmt.com/vacation_rentals

Sorry for the delay in responding to the question but the holidays were a bit busier than usual.

Anyway, we do plan on making the stage layouts available for preview prior to the match and that will probably occur sometime during the first week of February. When the courses of fire are finalized and ready for public consumption, we will put a post up here with a link to the page on our website.

Thanks for asking and glad you are looking forward to the match, we think it's going to be our best effort yet.

The TC Team

Wow I have the greatest Wife in the world. Feb 14th in my 25 wedding anniversary . We are setting up a celebration the weekend before TC so that I can shoot the Texas Carbine Champ

I will be sending in my application this week :cheers:

I don't get to do both Texas events But one is cool

We haven't mentioned this yet because it isn't a sure thing as of this writing but now that someone else put up a post about filming we thought it would be good to clarify things.

The ATSN folks are tentatively planning on filming both of the big Corpus matches in February but the producer told me last week that as yet, they do not know if they will have a crew available for those two weekends. So don't go out and buy new duds for the cameras just yet. :D

The TC Team