Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

resale value

This weekend i will be setting up my xl650 and decided to "re-top" my bench while i was at it. If it doesnt go as planned then i might just rebuild the whole thing. and that got me to thinking. Do i really need to keep the SDB around. I love it and havent had any issues with it so i was planning on keeping it just so i could have a fall back 9mm machine (the caliber i shoot the most)but as i started looking at the bench free space come into mind. I like having that extra room on my bench as that is where i clean/work on my pistols and rifles.

So the question is whats the resale value of a used SDB set up in one caliber ?

I keep my SDB as a caliber quick change for my lesser used calibers. I don't keep it permanently mounted but I can get it on the bench top and clamped in and running in < two minutes. All I lose is a little storage space and another box of spare parts. Works out fine for me.

I like having that extra room on my bench as that is where i clean/work on my pistols and rifles.

This is just me, but if you have a caliber that you don't shoot very often but could put on the SDB, then it might be worth converting it to do that. And just how long would it take you to bolt the press to the counter and unbolt it afterwards anyway - there's nothing that says the press has to sit there ALL the time taking up space is there?

I bought a 650 this year, hate now I waited so long, kept one of my 550's. Load 9 minor, 38 super, 38 special and 40S@W on the 650. The 550 is set up for 45acp but will load 30,06 and 223. That little square deal may come in handy.

Keep it till you have the 650 up and running for a while, then make your mind up.

Hard to replace it for what you can sell it for.

I have seen buffoons on EBay pay MORE than retail for Dillon presses. Good advice about keeping it. You may have grandkids in the future that will share you hobby. I have a SDB that I rarely use. Have no intention of selling.

Edited by Waldog