Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal target set up for practice

kdj

I'm going to buy a collection of targets for use in practice on an outdoor range. My plan after looking at what's out there is some thing along the lines of:

A couple of self resetting poppers

2 steel full size targets

2 A/B zone steel targets

Since I'm generally going to be practicing on my own, my thoughts are that steel doesn't need taping or reseting and I'll be able to get more done in a given time. If I need to, I can always add a paper target or two.

Any helpful advice?

Kevin

I wouldn't get A/B zone target, I would get 8" steel plates instead. I have A zone steel targets and don't find they are that good for practice. The shape is weird and it doesn't translate very well to what you see when you shoot a match.

Guest Larry Cazes

Kevin, you can get 4-6 of the stake in stands that require wood uprights for around $100 and of course used but usable paper silhouettes are available free from at least 2 local clubs we both shoot at regularly. I would suggest at least a few stands and a supply of wooden uprights from home depot to go with some steel of which I too would suggest 6" plates and stands made of rebar.

I'd prefer to avoid paper targets since that means I'd have to keep remembering to replace them and the stakes. Hence my drifting in the direction of steel.

As for plates, can one get non-knock down 6" or 8" plates? ... thinking back to the Burner tapes, obviously you can.

OK - so plan changed to:

2 self resetting poppers

8" (or maybe A zone rectangle) plates

2 full size steel targets

Keep proding me in the right direction. I'd thought about a Texas Star but fortunately I couldn't transport one :D

Kevin

Make ... hmm ... I'm not to be trusted with tools that don't have keyboards and are more sophisticated than a hammer :o Who sells them?

Hello Kevin, I have the targets you mentioned. I have a few of the steel IPSC targets with a moving A zone. (both full size & 3/4 size) Check out www.gttargets.com for the self resetting US poppers and static poppers.

The steel IPSC targets are not on the site yet but I have plenty. Please email me at sales@gttargets.com and I can give you details on price & availability.

Thanks & Best Regards, Karl @ GT Targets

How 'bout just three paper targets with the A zones cut out? Seriously, I can't think of too many drills that really need more than three targets to accomplish what you might want (perhaps I lack imagination). We are trying to shoot mostly A's, and I hope that you and I are (mostly) beyond outright mikes on full targets at this point, Kevin. So you won't need to tape more than a few C's. Sure, you won't see your A hits, but the steel won't tell you either. Also, while listening to the steel ring is satisfying, for me, at least, it gets me out of the habit of watching the sight lift off the target.

The Other Kevin

Doing 90% of my practice with three IPSC targets work(ed/s) for me.

The self-resetting poppers are kind of weird. Because I double-plug, I don't hear the hits. And because they fall so slowly and shallow, it's a lot different than the real thing. It's kind of distracting, as I want to look for it while transitioning away from it. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm supposed to call my shots. On more elaborate practice arrays where I'm not distracted to look at it and I don't call my shot, I may not know if I even hit it because it will be reset by the time I'm done.

One company around here is making simple 'practice poppers' that don't fall at all.. They do shake around when hit, but are very easy to carry around and set up, which is nice. Erik's problem does happen--you'll have to paint them every so often to avoid that.

fixed steel and resettable targets (plate racks being the ultimate practice-toy, IMO) are great for pratice when you want to get a lot of shooting done and don't want to tape-- But you've gotta be honest about hits if it doesn't fall.

Guest Larry Cazes

If its steel your interested in then I would have to go for SMALL plates. Even US poppers are generally more forgiving of marginal hits and are heavy and cumbersome to transport and setup. If weight is not an issue then a plate rack with 6" round plates would be great. In this month's front site magazine I saw some steel silhouettes with the A zone cut out....These would save you from taping but if made from good hardened steel they would be very heavy. By the way.....Where did you say this outdoor range is at? :D

I just need a setup I can cart around in the back of a Jeep. A plate rack would be pushing things a bit :P but a couple of poppers, some IPSCs and a few plates should be fine.

I'll practice anywhere they'll let me in ... and am wondering seriously about the possibility of getting a 10 yd range built at home :unsure:

Kevin

Got the ticket for you.

First, MGM has its lollipop plates, that will take .223 at a nice close distance. They're 6" plates and you can work transitions, etc. all day long. Too, with the addition of a 2x4 in a slot behind it, you can place an A/B/C zone steel target. Nice practice too. And they're tough. We shot them with about 4,000 rounds in 2.5 days and no problems. Completely collapses. You can setup the whole thing in about 2 minutes (no exaggeration)

Second, Tombstone Tactical has a sweet plate rack/dueling setup. I think it's 4-5 plates then the stop plate. The individual plates fall and when the stop plate is hit, they all reset. Pretty sweet. Is it compact? The gentleman from TT showed it to me at SMM3G and it was in his trailer, not much bigger than the back seat/"cargo" area of a Jeep.

Do a search on this site for both.

Rich

Rich,

thanks - that sounds interesting and I'll certainly take a look.

Ron,

I assume that part of your message was truncated since it stopped after telling us you had access to a wide variety of targets ... unless you are just trying to make me jealous :P

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to add that Karl @ GT is great to work with. I was in the same situation. I ordered 5 target stands and 2 8 inch round plates. I'll get a swinger next. Anyway, GT Targets gets your stuff to you pronto. Thanks Karl!

DCR

Guest Larry Cazes

Kevin, have you bought anything yet? I will be purchasing 6 stands from GT later today..............

Distracted by preparing for the Silver Bullet.

I'll get something from Karl (since I'll buy from BE dealers given the choice) once I get "a round tuite" ...

Kevin