Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

support hand on top

Is there video anywhere of the technique where the support hand is on top of the rifle further out, thumb pointing, to better drive the shots?

You can go to you tube and see Chris Costa or Kyle Lamb using this method but this is the only/best description I found and I would take Jerry's advice over just about anybody's when it comes to a firearm.

Edited by bigbear_98

Is there video anywhere of the technique where the support hand is on top of the rifle further out, thumb pointing, to better drive the shots?

You can go to you tube and see Chris Costa or Kyle Lamb using this method but this is the only/best description I found and I would take Jerry's advice over just about anybody's when it comes to a firearm.

thanks good video

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

what I like to do, and teach, is to wrap your whole arm over the forearm, so that your hand is actually on the opposite/weak side of the gun.

This helps control pesky recoil, so that the rifle has nothing to do, but to move backwards and forwards, like a sewing machine.

Another added benefit is if you shoot an optic, you can wedge your support arm elbow in between the scope and the top of the receiver. Its kind of uncomfortable and tense to do this, but think of all that tension that will be 100% trying to negate the tension of the rifle recoiling. it works.

but then it wouldnt have been funny! In my mind anyway!

I will have you know that was in a MP-Costa carbine class a couple years ago!

I was doing it before 2009, when I took a lot of tactical/dynamic/LE carbine classes, but I went nuts with it after then, in 2010, and I spent all of last year trying to soften it, shoot more relaxed. I still slip a thumb up there, but what Im saying in as far as my shooting, you can have too much of a good thing.