Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is an open bottom holster USPSA Production legal?

lsr1238

Tried the search function for an answer but I couldn't find anything. Here's my predicament: I bought a Ready Tactical DOH holster from CPWSA (great holster & retailer BTW) for my Glock 17 which I use in Production and Steel, only used once at a match. Recently came across a great deal for a Glock 34 I couldn't pass up. Now I want to use my Ready Tactical DOH holster meant for the Glock 17 for my Glock 34. The front end protrudes about 1". Is it legal to use for USPSA Production?

This is from USPSA's 2010 Handgun Rules regarding Production holsters:

•Suitable for everyday use. “Race gun” type holster prohibited.

•May not be manufactured or cut lower than, and must cover the slide up to, ½” below the ejection port (belt slide “Yaqui” type holster exempt).

•Revolver holsters open no lower than halfway down the cylinder.

Thanks for your input.

The way I read the rule, the only requirement for covering the slide is that it must cover the slide up to 1/2" of the ejection port. This means that it really only has to be about 1" deep, and the rest of the slide can stick out the bottom. The reason behind this rule is that everyone has to draw the pistol the same height to clear the holster.

Update, I emailed USPSA and John Amidon replied saying it's not legal for Production.

Your G17 Ready Tactical holster is legal even if your G34 protrudes an inch through the bottom of the holster. Amidon may not have fully understood your questions (Lord knows he's getting old). :)

I sent him a pic with my G34 in the holster and he says it doesn't satisfy the second rule posted above

"May not be manufactured or cut lower than, and must cover the slide up to, ½” below the ejection port (belt slide “Yaqui” type holster exempt)"

That sounds like a pretty silly interpretation but I've come to expect that.

The cover the slide up to the ejection port is so it's not too low AT the ejection port for faster draws.

The muzzle sticking out of the bottom of the holster has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

That ruling doesn't seem to make that much sense but I can't imagine anyone in a local match would have a problem with it. But from a practical point of view, do you really want a holster than leaves your front sight uncovered? I'll bet you could get a replacement from Chris and sell that one here for a reasonable price.

I sent him a pic with my G34 in the holster and he says it doesn't satisfy the second rule posted above

"May not be manufactured or cut lower than, and must cover the slide up to, ½” below the ejection port (belt slide “Yaqui” type holster exempt)"

In that case, it sounds to me like you may have the Blade Tech DOH "Black Ice". It's a very similar holster to the "standard" DOH but the cut at the ejection port does not satisfy the rule he mentioned above. The standard DOH does and it is therefore Production legal.

I attached the pic, it's a crappy pic but all I have is a camera on my phone.

It's a Ready Tactical DOH not a Bladetech Black Ice

Trust me, I really wish I knew not to ask Amidon but I asked the general USPSA contact email and he answered. I told him that why isn't it considered as a belt slide holster and he said that it doesn't look anything like a Yaqui slide holster.

Sometimes I wish I kept my mouth shout but just didn't want to be turned away at a match because of this.post-15142-0-26390800-1316745119_thumb.j

Edited by lsr1238

I can see why. The rule says "cover the slide up to..." which would mean to the end of the muzzle.

That said, it's an illogical interpretation based on the Yaqui exemption. Furthermore, the rule is, IMO, written to prevent the holster being cut too short at the top, not the bottom.

I can see why. The rule says "cover the slide up to..." which would mean to the end of the muzzle.

That said, it's an illogical interpretation based on the Yaqui exemption. Furthermore, the rule is, IMO, written to prevent the holster being cut too short at the top, not the bottom.

I agree with you. If this is the way that this rule is being interpreted, it falls in the same category of the "magazines in the front pocket" discussion where we are reading too far into the rule. If that holster is legal in Production to carry a G17, it should also be legal for a G34.

Who in the USPSA organization can I talk/email to address the interpretation of this rule? They changed the interpretation of the mag in the front pocket rule.

Before you do anything, understand that Amidon's opinion is not law.

I highly doubt that anyone at a major match is going to call you on it.

So, I wouldn't worry about it, but that's just me.

Who in the USPSA organization can I talk/email to address the interpretation of this rule? They changed the interpretation of the mag in the front pocket rule.

I'd be inclined to agree.

I'd be inclined to agree.

+1

You have "more" of the gun to remove from the holster (G17 vs. G34). By shooting a G34, your draw is actually "harder".

If you are really worried about it, heat, bend, and glue a small piece of plastic to the bottom of the holster.

There are a lot of guys on this board that play with Kydex. Have one of them mail you a piece or two of scrap and make the holster "legal".