Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder flakes in primer seating punch 550B

When reloading 9mm I am getting powder flakes in my primer seating punch at random intervals, Powder is getting between the shell plate and base. It only takes a little bit of time to clean them out with a small acid brush. I am trying to resolve this problem, The press has been fine tuned to run like a champ. I am using Unique powder at 4.5 grains not doing speed loading 100rnd in 12-15 minutes just a smooth steady pace. The only thing i havent done yet is take a taper reamer to the inside of the powder funnel to smooth it up. I was wondering if i cut a small slot in the plate between station 4 and 1 to act as a powder collector or dirt trap. Not a big slot maybee like a 1/8 ballnose endmill but not going thru, being nothing is going from station 4-1 it wont get hung up on anything. Or am I missing something else? Yes i have a bridgeport mill to do the job if needed.

Thanks Coleman

All shells are gettin a primer seated in them. (except for the ones i miss. LOL) I reloaded 200 yesteday morning and didnt miss one primer, but still had flakes. I will pull the shell plate off this morning and clean it up and see what it looks like after 1200rnds.

I had the same problem with .40 cal. I loosened the shell plate a bit. It softened up the indexing sudden stop that was making the powder jump out of the cases. Make sure you tighten the locking screw back down.

I think I've had less powder "spillage" since I tightened the shell plate on my 550. I just brush or blow away the small amount that accumulates. When it was worse I'm sure I managed to press a grain of powder into the back of a primer but it was never an issue.

Try cutting a long,narrow strip from a dryer anti-static sheet, run it down into the bottom of the powder hopper, fold the top over and secure it to the outside of the hopper tube with tape. This should reduce the stray flakes from falling out of the drop tube. Tightening the shellplate bolt will reduce the vibration associated with the detent ball locking the shellplate in place. It doesn't hurt to polish the interior of the funnel, just be aware they are heat-treated, so it is difficult to remove much.

If your shells stick a little on the powder funnel or if you are filling the cases and index the press a bit vigorous, powder can jump out. There will also be a few flakes that will get caught up in the powder dispenser and will fall loose. I just try and make that one of the little things that I look at when I am loading and I keep a rubber ear syringe next to the press - a squirt of air does the trick.

It only takes a little bit of time to clean them out with a small acid brush. I am trying to resolve this problem...

That's my solution, right there.

I have a little brush (came with an electric clippers) that I keep handy to brush any stray flakes of powder off the primer pusher.

I occasionally have the same thing happen, but I think in my case its because powder flakes are sticking to the powder funnel and occasionally dropping without a case below or just missing while the ram is down and case far from the funnel.