Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best slide weight on 6" limited 2011

mark carr

Although I'm sure someone will post numbers (11oz-12.8oz), the ideal slide weight really comes down to how you want the gun to feel. Where do you want the balance point? Some like nose heavy for recoil management, others (me) like the weight as close to the hand as possible for transistions.

If you are building it yourself, start out heavy and lighten it as you go. Get it shootable and start testing. For me, a good baseline is a Tritopped bushing barrel set up. That is already on the lighter side though. You could start with a bull barrel, then turn it down to a bushing set up later to test both set ups.

I remember being given this exact advice. Just passing it along.

There isn't a magic number, weight needs to be removed to get the gun to balance in the hand and function/handle to an optimum level. There are a host of variables such as-metal frame, polymer grip, heavy/light magwell, dust cover length, barrel type, guide rod,....

Rich

Cool thanks for the info its going to be a bushing barrel I would like to keep it fast handling but didn't want to get the front end to light I was going to send the slide off to have it machined so I was just trying to figure out a ball park wight to tell the gunsmith no smith's in my area have any experience with this type of project

I don't understand why anyone pays attention to balance. The weight of a limited gun will change by a pound as you shoot it from full to empty. On average, you will probably have at least 12 rounds in the gun. How it balances when empty means nothing.

$.02...

Hello: Try a full 6" slide with no cuts in it. Then try one that has been lightened. See the difference, I thought so :cheers: I fitted a 6" slide with no sight cuts then starting cutting away till I found what worked for me. I then cut the sight cuts and added the sights. It ended up at 11.6 ozs with sights. I then built another one that was 11.2 ozs with no sights. The last couple have been right at 11.1-11.2ozs with no sights. You are correct the pistol does get lighter as we empty the magazine. All that weight is in your hand not sticking out the end flapping in the breeze or moving back and forth. Thanks, Eric

I don't understand why anyone pays attention to balance. The weight of a limited gun will change by a pound as you shoot it from full to empty. On average, you will probably have at least 12 rounds in the gun. How it balances when empty means nothing.

$.02...

+1

It can take several weeks if not months to get used to a new gun if it’s different enough from what you’re currently using. So a single shooting session or handling demo won’t be very indicative of how well you would shoot that gun long term. Balance is overrated because you eventually get used to it and it won’t seem unbalanced anymore. I’ve had a couple guns that I thought were very awkward and after a month I couldn’t imagine shooting anything else.

Similarly, if you’re used to a heavy gun and then shoot a light gun you might be amazed at how fast the transitions are with the lighter gun. I’ll bet though if you cloned yourself and you shot the light gun while your clone shot the heavy gun, after a while the scores will be very similar as your brain adapts and settles into a pace. When I switched from a glock limited gun to an FDC Sti Edge type gun, I thought man this thing is a tank with the bull barrel and FDC metal frame and metal mags. But now there’s no difference in transition times.