Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend Folding BUIS set

Vermilion

Will be hopefully picking up a new DPMS 3G1 very very soon and while I plan to run an Aimpoint CompML2 I would like to get a set of back up irons. The front will have to go on a gas block and the rear I guess doesn't matter. I'd like to get the same company if possible with the same style flip up and down activation. Also I'd prefer if the gas block front sight folded to where it wouldn't get hung or caught on any part of a stage or whatnot.

Any suggestions? Or save the money and buy more ammo? :D

Edited by Vermilion

Will be hopefully picking up a new DPMS 3G1 very very soon and while I plan to run an Aimpoint CompML2 I would like to get a set of back up irons. The front will have to go on a gas block and the rear I guess doesn't matter. I'd like to get the same company if possible with the same style flip up and down activation. Also I'd prefer if the gas block front sight folded to where it wouldn't get hung or caught on any part of a stage or whatnot.

Any suggestions? Or save the money and buy more ammo? :D

I just used one from Yankee Hill Machine that clamped on. The price was reasonable and it appears to be very solid.

Yeah I was thinking about this as well. Might just save the 175+ dollars I'd spend on some back up sights and put it towards a Burris TAC30 or something.

That would be a retrograde step in my view. The Aimpoint will be infinitely more robust than any magnified optic. You would be best served by an ML3 with 2MOA dot. This sight is so robust that you can dispense with BUIS. As well as costing $$$, the rear BUIS would limit how close you can get your eye to the Aimpoint (which limits field of view). For 3-gun I recommend an ML3 mounted as far back as possible, and forget the BUIS. Now, if you are talking about a gun that could be used for personal defense, then a BUIS is cheap insurance.

Here are my rifles. Top is a medium-weight 18" rifle gas gun primarily intended for 3-gun, bottom is a light-weight 16" midlength gas gun primarily intended for self-defense and secondarily a 3-gun backup:

1816AR15SS15.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I agree that the 2MOA dot will be a better choice than the 4MOA dot on the ML2.

I would sell the ML2 and buy an Aimpoint PRO for $400. Cheaper than the ML3 and comes with a useable mount as well as having the 2MOA dot.

Good luck hitting 6in plates at 300+ yards with a 2moa on a non magnified optic. I would go with a 1-4x. that is just my humble opinion, and i am not that good so take it for what its worth. It is just easier for me personally with my burris.

I have used 1x in competition and didn't like it. couldn't hit anything past 100 yards with speed and confidence.

Everyone is different so try out some other setups and see what you like.

Whatever you choose make sure to have fun and get out there and shoot :cheers:

Good luck hitting 6in plates at 300+ yards with a 2moa on a non magnified optic.

Grrrrr. That right there is everythingthat is wrong with the closed minded thinking of the Tac Scope crowd. Targets should not ever be smaller than 4MOA at distance. At 300 the smallest plate should be 12". No wonder so many newbies feel like they can't participate until they spend a small fortune on the latest and greatest optic.

Good luck hitting 6in plates at 300+ yards with a 2moa on a non magnified optic.

Grrrrr. That right there is everythingthat is wrong with the closed minded thinking of the Tac Scope crowd. Targets should not ever be smaller than 4MOA at distance. At 300 the smallest plate should be 12". No wonder so many newbies feel like they can't participate until they spend a small fortune on the latest and greatest optic.

Its purely up to the shooter what he wants to do. All I am saying is what works for ME. I know other people(Kurt Miller) can out shoot me with iron sights. I do better with a magnified scope.

BTW i have less $ in my tac30 than an aimpoint costs!

You can get away with a Larue SPR if you push the scope all the way forward. if buying new, go with the Larue SPR-E for extra eye relief in case you need it.

Mick

What kind of mount do you use with the TAC30?

I don't even know to be honest. Whatever I can have fun at. Not a super competitive kind of person. I've got a CZ TS in 9mm, a Remington 1100 Tactical and soon the DPMS 3G1. If I have to shoot Open to use a scope that is fine as long as I can have fun.

I shoot in tac optics. Your allowed one scope on rifle. I also have a flock and fn slp. You should only be open if optic on pistol or shotgun. You can possibly be put in open with BUIS and an optic. Not sure about that but USPSA multi gun rules state only one sighting system except open.